FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   Real Wasabi restaurants (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/423330-real-wasabi-restaurants.html)

Seth 17-03-2013 04:55 PM

Real Wasabi restaurants

Can anyone suggest some sushi restaurants that serve real wasabi
(grated root) in San Francisco and/or New York City?

Thanks,

Seth

Dan Logcher[_2_] 17-03-2013 06:31 PM

Real Wasabi restaurants

Seth wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some sushi restaurants that serve real wasabi
> (grated root) in San Francisco and/or New York City?

Well, back in 2000 when I was in SF I recall two. Kantaro closed
after the untimely death of the owner. The other was Sakana on Post.

For New York, check out Hatsuhana on E48th.

--
Dan

Ken Blake[_2_] 17-03-2013 08:28 PM

Real Wasabi restaurants

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:31:34 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Seth wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest some sushi restaurants that serve real wasabi
> > (grated root) in San Francisco and/or New York City?

> Well, back in 2000 when I was in SF I recall two. Kantaro closed
> after the untimely death of the owner. The other was Sakana on Post.
>
> For New York, check out Hatsuhana on E48th.

Does either of these use real wasabi routinely, or is it by request
only at extra charge?

I used to eat at Hatsuhana regularly, but now that I no longer live in
NY, I haven't been there for many years, I don't remember any real
wasabi there.

But I'll be in San Francisco in a few weeks, and perhaps I'll try
Sakana, which I don't know.

--
Ken Blake

Dan Logcher[_2_] 17-03-2013 09:24 PM

Real Wasabi restaurants

Ken Blake wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:31:34 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Seth wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone suggest some sushi restaurants that serve real wasabi
>>>(grated root) in San Francisco and/or New York City?

>>Well, back in 2000 when I was in SF I recall two. Kantaro closed
>>after the untimely death of the owner. The other was Sakana on Post.
>>
>>For New York, check out Hatsuhana on E48th.

> Does either of these use real wasabi routinely, or is it by request
> only at extra charge?
>
> I used to eat at Hatsuhana regularly, but now that I no longer live in
> NY, I haven't been there for many years, I don't remember any real
> wasabi there.
>
> But I'll be in San Francisco in a few weeks, and perhaps I'll try
> Sakana, which I don't know.

We sat at the downstairs sushi bar at Hatsuhana in Aug. 2001 and got the
royal treatment I guess. Maybe they pulled it out special. They did have
it back in 2000 at Sakana, but who knows now. http://www.sfsakana.com/main.php

--
Dan

Ken Blake[_2_] 18-03-2013 01:03 AM

Real Wasabi restaurants

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:24:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:31:34 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >>Well, back in 2000 when I was in SF I recall two. Kantaro closed
> >>after the untimely death of the owner. The other was Sakana on Post.
> >>
> >>For New York, check out Hatsuhana on E48th.

> > Does either of these use real wasabi routinely, or is it by request
> > only at extra charge?
> >
> > I used to eat at Hatsuhana regularly, but now that I no longer live in
> > NY, I haven't been there for many years, I don't remember any real
> > wasabi there.
> >
> > But I'll be in San Francisco in a few weeks, and perhaps I'll try
> > Sakana, which I don't know.

> We sat at the downstairs sushi bar at Hatsuhana in Aug. 2001 and got the
> royal treatment I guess. Maybe they pulled it out special. They did have
> it back in 2000 at Sakana, but who knows now. http://www.sfsakana.com/main.php

Thanks. I hope to try Sakana next month. We'll see.

--
Ken Blake

Warren[_10_] 01-04-2013 12:53 AM

Real Wasabi restaurants

On 3/17/2013 11:55 AM, Seth wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some sushi restaurants that serve real wasabi
> (grated root) in San Francisco and/or New York City?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth

I would think that pretty much all high end restaurants will have real
wasabi, however you may have to ask specifically for it. I've yet to
fine one in NYC that doesn't, but the cheap, dingy ones probably won't.
I can rattle off names like Jewel Bako, Hatsuhana, Sushi Yasuda, Nobu,
etc, but again, pretty much any high end one should carry it.

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog