Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Shinbashi in Ellsworth, Maine

http://myshinbashi.com/ - we ate there last night and thought it was a nice
restaurant with a good atmosphere. They opened this spring and are still
working the bugs out. We only had S27 - Sushi Regular (the deluxe is shown
in the picture.) It came with salad or miso soup, but not both

Food was good, but the Itamae were both rather young, and a little more
experience might be needed to get it right, but for the price, it was good eats.

I believe the owner used to work at 'The Green Tea' there in Ellsworth,
which we were sad to see go, but now we're happy to see it transformed.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> http://myshinbashi.com/ - we ate there last night and thought it was a
> nice restaurant with a good atmosphere. They opened this spring and are
> still working the bugs out. We only had S27 - Sushi Regular (the deluxe
> is shown in the picture.) It came with salad or miso soup, but not both
>
> Food was good, but the Itamae were both rather young, and a little more
> experience might be needed to get it right, but for the price, it was
> good eats.
>
> I believe the owner used to work at 'The Green Tea' there in Ellsworth,
> which we were sad to see go, but now we're happy to see it transformed.

Prices seem very reasonable, good selection of sushi. My only issue is it
seems they do Chinese and Vietnamese as well. I'm a little hesitant about
restaurants that do more than one cuisine, since for the most part they do
not 100% of each cuisine..

I prefer to go to Japanese restaurant for sushi, not a Chinese/Japanese/Thai
restaurant. I'm not saying you won't get good sushi, just that it won't be
supurb. Just my opinion, of course.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 08/03/11 2:12 PM, sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> http://myshinbashi.com/ - we ate there last night and thought it was a
>> nice restaurant with a good atmosphere. They opened this spring and are
>> still working the bugs out. We only had S27 - Sushi Regular (the deluxe is
>> shown in the picture.) It came with salad or miso soup, but not both
>>
>> Food was good, but the Itamae were both rather young, and a little more
>> experience might be needed to get it right, but for the price, it was good
>> eats.
>>
>> I believe the owner used to work at 'The Green Tea' there in Ellsworth,
>> which we were sad to see go, but now we're happy to see it transformed.

> Prices seem very reasonable, good selection of sushi. My only issue is it
> seems they do Chinese and Vietnamese as well. I'm a little hesitant about
> restaurants that do more than one cuisine, since for the most part they do
> not 100% of each cuisine..
>
> I prefer to go to Japanese restaurant for sushi, not a Chinese/Japanese/Thai
> restaurant. I'm not saying you won't get good sushi, just that it won't be
> supurb. Just my opinion, of course.

I get your point and agree, Dan. It's just that in Downeast Maine you need
to attract as many clients as you can and hopefully this won't put off the
purists. But it's my closest option and still 60 miles one-way. I'll be
making up excuses though

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> On 08/03/11 2:12 PM, sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>
>> Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> http://myshinbashi.com/ - we ate there last night and thought it was a
>>> nice restaurant with a good atmosphere. They opened this spring and are
>>> still working the bugs out. We only had S27 - Sushi Regular (the
>>> deluxe is
>>> shown in the picture.) It came with salad or miso soup, but not both
>>>
>>> Food was good, but the Itamae were both rather young, and a little more
>>> experience might be needed to get it right, but for the price, it was
>>> good
>>> eats.
>>>
>>> I believe the owner used to work at 'The Green Tea' there in Ellsworth,
>>> which we were sad to see go, but now we're happy to see it transformed.

>> Prices seem very reasonable, good selection of sushi. My only issue is it
>> seems they do Chinese and Vietnamese as well. I'm a little hesitant about
>> restaurants that do more than one cuisine, since for the most part
>> they do
>> not 100% of each cuisine..
>>
>> I prefer to go to Japanese restaurant for sushi, not a
>> Chinese/Japanese/Thai
>> restaurant. I'm not saying you won't get good sushi, just that it
>> won't be
>> supurb. Just my opinion, of course.
>>

> I get your point and agree, Dan. It's just that in Downeast Maine you
> need to attract as many clients as you can and hopefully this won't put
> off the purists. But it's my closest option and still 60 miles one-way.
> I'll be making up excuses though

Yeah, that must be rough being that far out. What is the population in the area?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 08/03/11 3:58 PM, sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:

>>> Prices seem very reasonable, good selection of sushi. My only issue is it
>>> seems they do Chinese and Vietnamese as well. I'm a little hesitant about
>>> restaurants that do more than one cuisine, since for the most part they do
>>> not 100% of each cuisine..
>>>
>>> I prefer to go to Japanese restaurant for sushi, not a Chinese/Japanese/Thai
>>> restaurant. I'm not saying you won't get good sushi, just that it won't be
>>> supurb. Just my opinion, of course.
>>>

>> I get your point and agree, Dan. It's just that in Downeast Maine you need
>> to attract as many clients as you can and hopefully this won't put off the
>> purists. But it's my closest option and still 60 miles one-way. I'll be
>> making up excuses though

> Yeah, that must be rough being that far out. What is the population in the
> area?

We're used to traveling for almost everything. Ellsworth has a population of
about 7,700 according to the 2010 census. The county Ellsworth is in,
Hancock, has about 55,000 with Ellsworth being the largest city. But I like
the low population density, so traveling is my choice.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson[_6_] View Post
Shinbashi - we ate there last night and thought it was a nice
restaurant with a good atmosphere. They opened this spring and are still
working the bugs out. We only had S27 - Sushi Regular (the deluxe is shown
in the picture.) It came with salad or miso soup, but not both

Food was good, but the Itamae were both rather young, and a little more
experience might be needed to get it right, but for the price, it was good eats.

I believe the owner used to work at 'The Green Tea' there in Ellsworth,
which we were sad to see go, but now we're happy to see it transformed.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Yeah i love this place. great atmosphere.

TN: wines in Maine and NY DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2013 09:09 PM
A little about Maine... Nexis General Cooking 30 06-01-2009 03:19 PM
Maine Memory Bites Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 25-08-2008 02:55 AM
Maine Lobster Dulce delavanda Recipes (moderated) 0 04-02-2005 04:35 AM
Sushi in Maine George Sushi 3 18-05-2004 09:58 PM