Member

Location: at home :-)
Default How long does Sushi last?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Catering Sydney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?

I'd say a few hours, but the rice will dry out and the fish will begin to
oxidize. Was this prepared from a sushi bar or a catering service? Catering
sushi is sometimes refridgerated before delivery which will also dry out the
sushi rice. Best eat it immediately and before the good ones are taken.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:35:16 +0000, Catering Sydney
> wrote:

> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?

If you are asking whether it will still be *safe* to eat, the answer
is yes.

If you are asking whether it will taste as good as it was an hour ago,
the answer is no.

And one other point: although *your* platter of sushi may include raw
fish, do not erroneously assume that all sushi does.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:35:16 +0000, Catering Sydney
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
>>long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
>>back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
>>it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?

> If you are asking whether it will still be *safe* to eat, the answer
> is yes.
>
> If you are asking whether it will taste as good as it was an hour ago,
> the answer is no.
>
> And one other point: although *your* platter of sushi may include raw
> fish, do not erroneously assume that all sushi does.

Tamago, unagi, anago, ebi, and tako are cooked (or at least par-boiled).
Keppa and oshinko maki are vegetable maki zushi. And then, of course all
the weird freaky things a sushi chef may put into/onto sushi..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:33:39 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:35:16 +0000, Catering Sydney
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
> >>long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
> >>back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
> >>it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?

> > If you are asking whether it will still be *safe* to eat, the answer
> > is yes.
> >
> > If you are asking whether it will taste as good as it was an hour ago,
> > the answer is no.
> >
> > And one other point: although *your* platter of sushi may include raw
> > fish, do not erroneously assume that all sushi does.

> Tamago, unagi, anago, ebi, and tako are cooked (or at least par-boiled).
> Keppa and oshinko maki are vegetable maki zushi. And then, of course all
> the weird freaky things a sushi chef may put into/onto sushi..

Right. I didn't bother putting in examples of what's not raw fish, but
thanks for adding some.

--
Ken Blake

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 02/20/11 7:35 AM, sometime in the recent past Catering Sydney posted this:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?

To answer your subject line directly, it usually only lasts between 10 and
20 minutes

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> On 02/20/11 7:35 AM, sometime in the recent past Catering Sydney posted
> this:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
>> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
>> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
>> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?
>>

> To answer your subject line directly, it usually only lasts between 10
> and 20 minutes

Yeah, if you or I are there maybe less.. *munch* *munch* *munch*

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Or me, for that matter!

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:35:22 -0500, Dan Logcher wrote
(in article >):

> Wilson wrote:
>> On 02/20/11 7:35 AM, sometime in the recent past Catering Sydney posted
>> this:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
>>> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at the
>>> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered will
>>> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?
>>>

>> To answer your subject line directly, it usually only lasts between 10
>> and 20 minutes

> Yeah, if you or I are there maybe less.. *munch* *munch* *munch*

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:05:56 +0000, cyprusholidays
> wrote:

>David E. Cote;1585987 Wrote:
>> Or me, for that matter!
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:35:22 -0500, Dan Logcher wrote
>> (in article ):
>> -
>> Wilson wrote:-
>> On 02/20/11 7:35 AM, sometime in the recent past Catering Sydney posted
>>
>> this:
>> -
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to the forum here and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how
>> long a sushi platter will remain good for? For example, if it is at
>> the
>> back of an air conditioned meeting room for over an hour uncovered
>> will
>> it still be OK to eat, especially considering it includes raw fish?
>>

>> -
>> To answer your subject line directly, it usually only lasts between 10
>>
>> and 20 minutes -
>>
>> Yeah, if you or I are there maybe less.. *munch* *munch* *munch*
>>
>> -

>It depends upon the way and the ingredients I believe..I guess it would
>exists good for upto 1 hour.!

If seafood is used and it has been smoke cured and placed on
par-boiled rice it should last for a couple of months without
refrigeration even longer if frozen.
Member

Location: India

Hiii,