Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Hey, where are all the posters in this group??

There were 600+ readers of this group today,....... and NO ONE posted
anything?

I had a weird sushi roll last week. It was a Funky Monkey and had
fish, avocado,cuke, rice, Nori and banana wrapped over the top. Very
good, but I think the banana masked the flavor of the fish. I've also
had the same with mango instead of the banana, and it was so
delicious. The tartness & sweetness of the mango really complemented
the rest of the roll. If you see it on a menu try it for sure.

Tonight we're havine Salmon Sashimi!! Yay, DH just came home with the
salmon. We will cut it, and have a few things on the side to further
enhance it's flavor. I toast sesame seeds, cut chives really thinly,
and have garlic powder nearby both of us, and of course ginger and
wasabi. Since Diakon radish isn't around right now, I will slice
iceberg lettuce thinly to put under our Salmon. It should have much
the same crunchiness as a base.
I also will make Miso soup. This I cheat on - I found a mix that you
just add boiling water to, and it's really close to what we get at the
restaurant. I have made Miso Soup from scratch, but it isn't that much
better to do all the work involved, and I am missing some ingredients.

Hope to see more posters, and fewer readers. If you love sushi, you
have something to contribute.
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> There were 600+ readers of this group today,....... and NO ONE posted
> anything?

> Hope to see more posters, and fewer readers. If you love sushi, you
> have something to contribute.

Just made sushi at home a few days ago. It was about fifth time I used my
new hangiri. Previously I used a large plastic bowl and I think the
quality of rice has improved.

Also I learned just recently that kombu can be used with vinegar too. Now
when I remove kombu from the rice pot I wipe it clean and put it in
another pot with vinegar sugar and salt. Then I warm up the vinegar just
so that sugar dissolves (no boiling) and remove the kombu after the
vinegar has cooled a bit.

Without good rice there is no sushi. Unfortunately it is the case in
sushibars and japanese restaurants in Helsinki (Finland). Too many
disappointments. In fact I found recently way better sushi in Rome at
Sushi Tei.

So I make my own sushi.

Jukka

PS Skip tuna, please. Don't eat the last one.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Oct 27, 3:03*pm, Armadillo > wrote:
> > There were 600+ readers of this group today,....... and NO ONE posted
> > anything?
> > Hope to see more posters, and fewer readers. *If you love sushi, you
> > have something to contribute.

> Just made sushi at home a few days ago. It was about fifth time I used my *
> new hangiri. Previously I used a large plastic bowl and I think the *
> quality of rice has improved.
>
> Also I learned just recently that kombu can be used with vinegar too. Now *
> when I remove kombu from the rice pot I wipe it clean and put it in *
> another pot with vinegar sugar and salt. Then I warm up the vinegar just *
> so that sugar dissolves (no boiling) and remove the kombu after the *
> vinegar has cooled a bit.
>
> Without good rice there is no sushi. Unfortunately it is the case in *
> sushibars and japanese restaurants in Helsinki (Finland). Too many *
> disappointments. In fact I found recently way better sushi in Rome at *
> Sushi Tei.
>
> So I make my own sushi.
>
> Jukka
>
> PS Skip tuna, please. Don't eat the last one.

Gottcha on the sustainability of species.
I think good sushi depends on not only the sushi maker, itamae, but
the products he is able to procur.
Nan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> I think good sushi depends on not only the sushi maker, itamae, but
> the products he is able to procur.

True. I'm still learning.

A few days ago I bought a whitefish ('siika' in Finnish) from a trusted
fismonger but found out it is not quite sushi grade. Usable, though. So I
put it in the freezer to be used for example in boullabaisse. Then I
bought another from another fishmonger. Luckily I live next door to a good
market hall with four fishmongers.

I mostly use local fresh fish and just sometimes imported frozen fish. But
there is of course sushi with no fish like inari, tamago, kappamaki, roe,
etc. Usually I use sushi rice imported from US but a few times I have
tried japanese rice too.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Oct 27, 3:03 pm, Armadillo > wrote:

>There were 600+ readers of this group today,....... and NO ONE posted
>anything? >Hope to see more posters, and fewer readers. If you love sushi,
>you have something to contribute.

Yeah, I've been way too busy lately.. So much so I haven't had sushi for
a while. So sad.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Oct 20, 9:36*am, Nanzi > wrote:
> There were 600+ readers of this group ...

It was a lively forum at one time, but it's kaput now.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Nov 5, 11:25*pm, robert ratskywatsky >
wrote:
> On Oct 20, 9:36*am, Nanzi > wrote:
>
> > There were 600+ readers of this group ...

> It was a lively forum at one time, but it's kaput now.

What other sushi forums would y'all reccommend? I swear they sneak
crack into sushi, I can't stay away from it. I could bankrupt us!!!
And I never feel ill after eating it, sometimes do with conventional
meals.
Nanzi
Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanzi[_2_] View Post
[...]

I've never had a sushi roll with fruit in it before, where did you manage to get it. It sounds great, very different from what I'd expect to see in/on a roll but I'd live to be able to try it.
Find your nearest Prezzo restaurant and book a table for free! Check for the latest Prezzo offers & specials available.
Member

Location: Fayetteville, AR

[...]

I just signed up for the forums, and from the looks of it you will be seeing a LOT of me around. Love it!!!

In regards to the sushi you mentioned, I personally would not be sold on the banana inclusion, but mango instead, with just the right proportion I think that would rock!!!

I actually put up some recipes on my site for Miso, but have not tried to make it myself yet, I really need to. I love miso soup!!

Frank