FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   Good sushi rolls place Does NOT necessarily = good sashimi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/400801-good-sushi-rolls-place.html)

Nanzi[_2_] 23-09-2010 06:07 PM

Good sushi rolls place Does NOT necessarily = good sashimi

Went to a place in Myrtle Beach(yeah I know it's not in the heart of
sushi country) and I ordered some rolls, and DH ordered the sashimi
platter. The platter was expensive, and was sadly lacking. There were
about 3 dif kinds of fish, a couple of overcooked shrimp and a piece
of octopus. The amount of each was skimpy, and the fish pieces were
very basic, no condiments or sesame seeds, and the plate looked half
empty. What a letdown. We had been advised this place was great so we
went there instead of a spot 15 miles south that we KNEW had good
sushi & sashimi at a more dear price.
The itamae at the southern restaurant, Divines, teaches sushi making
at a college and puts out not only delicious food, but the art with
which it is presented is always a joyful surprise. Think the sashimi
maker at Sakumi needs to go to one of his classes, or 10.
My rolls were just great, and I felt so bad that DH's dinner wasn't.
He didn't even feel like he had gotten a 'sushi fix'.
If you're down there do try Divines in Murrells Inlet. You won't be
disappointed!!
Nan in DE

anna88 06-04-2011 03:32 AM

Good article. Your information is useful for everyone. Thanks