Old 24-04-2010, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Default Escolar

Hello All!

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US who
insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

When I was a child during WWII a canned fish from South Africa called
snoek was sold for a little while. I believe snoek is an other name for
escolar and I can understand why it was no great success.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 24-04-2010, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 10:48*am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

I know I cannot *eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US who
insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

Bringing this on-topic: I see to its credit that Chez Papa Bistrot (on
Potrero Hill) has ceased making Escolar an entree on its prix fixe
menu.

Noted patriarchy-blamer Jill Posey-Smith wrote the definitive article
on Escolar-eating for the St. Louis altweekly some years ago.
Old 24-04-2010, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:

Hello All!

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US who
insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

Bringing this on-topic: I see to its credit that Chez Papa Bistrot (on
Potrero Hill) has ceased making Escolar an entree on its prix fixe
menu.

Noted patriarchy-blamer Jill Posey-Smith wrote the definitive article
on Escolar-eating for the St. Louis altweekly some years ago.

I've noted a wider use of escolar/oilfish in the US. More and more sushi
bars are carrying it. No one in my family seems to suffer any ill effects
from eating it, even in large amounts. I hope it does not go away any time
soon.

--
Dan
Old 24-04-2010, 10:22 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw
Old 24-04-2010, 10:38 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
able to handle any at all.

--
Dan

Old 24-04-2010, 10:45 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and only
on the second night did I notice anything unusual
down there. And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
not be able to handle any at all.

Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
me?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-04-2010, 12:01 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
not be able to handle any at all.

Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
me?

What? They block Sqwertz too?
Old 25-04-2010, 01:32 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 25-04-2010, 02:07 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":

http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat

AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

Old 25-04-2010, 02:11 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 14:38:35 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

Responding to that I guess people eat all kinds of crap they wouldn't
otherwise. Better to eat pond scum that show "weakness".

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
able to handle any at all.

I like to avoid fish that generally makes a lot of people ill, even if
I don't feel ill. That is, based only on reputation alone, I'll be
glad to ditch it. When vast commercial interests are involved, my
default assumption is that they don't care whether I live or die as
long as I give them money--FIRST.

For that reason I even avoid buying frozen fish from China in the local
Vietnamese store. There's only been a few scares with frozen fish that
were contaminated and filled with **** and poison by the time they got
to the US. In the meantime, I'll assume that means ALL of them.

I'm a happy, healthy pussy, I suppose. I wish I could "man up" and
start eating poop straight out of dog's butt, but can't seem to find
the "courage" for it. I kinda think that's one whole element of
sushi-diner's. Thems that ain't afeared of eating RAW FISH! :-)
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 25-04-2010, 02:12 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 17:32:28 -0700, Omelet said:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
completeness...
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 25-04-2010, 02:15 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Paco" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":

http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat

AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

Oops! Copied the url from the wrong page.

http://tinyurl.com/2eyugxy

The first tinyurl was for something like 44 million hits for just escolar.

Old 25-04-2010, 02:44 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 25-04-2010, 02:47 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Paco" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":

http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat

AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

Ok, guess I'll give it a "pass" if I ever see it for sale, thanks.g
--
Peace! Om

Old 25-04-2010, 02:48 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected],

On 2010-04-24 17:32:28 -0700, Omelet said:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?

It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
completeness...

Thanks... I think. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Escolar Mark Thorson General Cooking 23 03-06-2010 04:36 AM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 106 11-05-2010 08:52 PM
White Tuna (Escolar) Norman Leonski Sushi 46 05-05-2006 08:03 PM
ESCOLAR FISH WITH MANGO AND SHRIMP RAVIOLI yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:24 AM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 18-03-2005 11:22 PM