Old 25-04-2010, 04:48 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Default Escolar

On 2010-04-24 23:00:22 -0700, Sqwertz said:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:12:43 -0700, Gerry wrote:

It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
completeness...

Maybe after you try it, then you'll be equipped to remark on the
fish and it's effects. Until then you're just making more of an
ignorant, pompous ass of yourself.

If the chef won't eat it, I won't eat it. That's information I can use.

There you go again.

"A guy named Sqwertz says he didn't get the shits when he ate it."
That's not what I call a useful tip.

Hey, butt****er. Count the number of people here who have posted
that they did not have any ill effects after eating it. And then
count the number of people who did try it and have had ill effects.

It's not just me. My experience is backed up by 4 other people.

Now, if you're done making an ass out of yourself, kindly **** off.
That is, unless you're going to claim that they are all my sock
puppets.

Go ahead - you can do it!

-sw

Old 25-04-2010, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-25 08:43:33 -0700, Sqwertz said:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:50:32 -0700, Gerry wrote:

It's just me, James, and the the laws of countries like Japan that
don't consider it a "food product". On the other hand It's people like
you that call others "pussy" and "butt****er" when we won't eat the
stuff you like. That sounds like a tedious dinner party, ne?

I'm calling you a butt****er because you haven't tried it, yet you
take an adamant stand against eating it - telling us you know what's
right...

You're a liar. I know what's right for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not
gonna defer my own judgement to a liar who also calls people pussy and
butt****er when they disagree.

...and implying that everybody will get sick.

Another lie. I neither said nor implied that.

Meanwhile, there are about 5 of us who *have* tried it and posted
that there are no ill effects.

Your anecdotal information is as good as any; I'll go with the
viewpoint of the chefs I trust. They won't eat it.

SilverSpoon is the only one who claims he experienced any ill
effects, which are probably all psychosomatic (from anticipating
getting sick).

Of course it's psychosomatic--he disagreed! I think "butt****er" is
probably quicker for an ineffective counter, though.

He is in the minority.

Your a bullshitter too. You have no idea what the majority/minority
response is to eating raw escolar. Personal insult did't work, lies
don't get traction; I don't think invention will help.

And you are just another psychotic Chicken Little.

Pussies, butt****ers, psychosomatic neurotics, psychotics: Your
evaluation of the sports page must be a riot!
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 25-04-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-25 08:48:57 -0700, Sqwertz said:

If the chef won't eat it, I won't eat it. That's information I can use.

There you go again.

Yeah: Simple conclusions guide a lot of my simple decisions.

"A guy named Sqwertz says he didn't get the shits when he ate it."
That's not what I call a useful tip.

Hey, butt****er. Count the number of people here who have posted
that they did not have any ill effects after eating it. And then
count the number of people who did try it and have had ill effects.

Share your gifted logic with cigarette smokers. I don't think usenet
posters is really the base I should use for my conclusions. After a
lifetime in their field, my favorite chefs trump five guys on usenet.
Even ten!

It's not just me. My experience is backed up by 4 other people.

It's nice to know what you consider corroboration

Now, if you're done making an ass out of yourself, kindly **** off.

It never fails to amaze me how much vitriol and angst some people can
generate about such picayune matters. I suppose you start shrieking and
collapse in a seizure when somebody doesn't like CheeseWhiz on their
French fries.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 25-04-2010, 07:29 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:01:10 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

James Silverton wrote:

Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
not be able to handle any at all.

Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
me?

What? They block Sqwertz too?

they're still kinda sore about hiroshima.

your pal,
blake
Old 25-04-2010, 09:30 PM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 07:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Nanzi
wrote:

I completely agree, Dan. We love White Tuna, as our fav sushi bar
calls it.

Careful! Although some sushi bars call escolar white tuna (or shiro
maguro) others use that term for albacore. Be sure you know which you
are getting.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Old 25-04-2010, 11:33 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:

I completely agree, Dan. We love White Tuna, as our fav sushi bar
calls it.

Careful! Although some sushi bars call escolar white tuna (or shiro
maguro) others use that term for albacore. Be sure you know which you
are getting.

Yes, I've seen white tuna for albacore and super white for escolar.

--
Dan
Old 26-04-2010, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

yawn

Name your chefs and I'll email them and ask if they know you and
have told you anything about escolar.

C'mon, liar. Put up or shut up.

-sw
Old 26-04-2010, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...
Old 26-04-2010, 10:46 AM posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

Hello All!

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US
who insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

When I was a child during WWII a canned fish from South Africa called
snoek was sold for a little while. I believe snoek is an other name
for escolar and I can understand why it was no great success.

They might be the same 'family' but don't think the Cape snoek that we
get in South Africa is exactly the same as the escolar you're talking
about; the common names are pretty close tho' e.g. Escolier vs Escolier
noire, etc. so maybe that's why people assume it's the same fish
shrug

Snoek:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...ary.php?ID=489

Escolar:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...ry.php?ID=1042

Besides, I've eaten (fresh, not canned) Cape snoek - wrapped in foil and
cooked on the 'braai' (grill) - and it wasn't all *that* oily. In
fact, that's why we use foil - if we don't we've found that it can turn
out quite dry. Quite popular here, and I've never heard of people
having, um, any 'adverse reactions' to eating it. However, it is full
of bones so I understand why it might not be everybody's 'cup of tea'.
Anyway, FWIW, I don't like the canned (often curried) snoek available
here either ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 26-04-2010, 02:54 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

robert ratskywatsky wrote:
Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

Well that might not be the escolar.. could be, but there might be other
reasons.

--
Dan

Old 26-04-2010, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-26 06:54:28 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

robert ratskywatsky wrote:
Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

Well that might not be the escolar.. could be, but there might be other
reasons.

You mean like e-coli?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Old 26-04-2010, 06:40 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-26 06:54:28 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

robert ratskywatsky wrote:

Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

Well that might not be the escolar.. could be, but there might be other
reasons.

You mean like e-coli?

Yeah, or whatever other bacteria and stuff.. many reason people could have
these issues. Problems with buffet sushi is not a bit surprise.

--
Dan
Old 26-04-2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:03:57 -0700 (PDT), robert ratskywatsky wrote:

Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

I never got to try Todai afetr hearing "so much" about it.

Escolar is seasonal around here. I don't know how any reputable
sushi joint (not Todai) could have it on the menu year round.

-sw
Old 26-04-2010, 06:47 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:03:57 -0700 (PDT), robert ratskywatsky wrote:

Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

I never got to try Todai afetr hearing "so much" about it.

Escolar is seasonal around here. I don't know how any reputable
sushi joint (not Todai) could have it on the menu year round.

It comes vacuumed sealed and frozen in New England, packaged as oilfish.
Pretty much all places around here have it year round.

--
Dan
Old 26-04-2010, 08:57 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-26 10:47:02 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:03:57 -0700 (PDT), robert ratskywatsky wrote:

Todai buffets always used to have escolar labeled as "white tuna".
Very tasty. I used to wonder why I often had to make a rather urgent
bathroom stop after eating at the Todai...

I never got to try Todai afetr hearing "so much" about it.

Escolar is seasonal around here. I don't know how any reputable
sushi joint (not Todai) could have it on the menu year round.

It comes vacuumed sealed and frozen in New England, packaged as oilfish.
Pretty much all places around here have it year round.

Does anybody know the hows and whys of how it became a consumer fish?
Of course 20 years ago I never heard of anything called "oilfish", but
20 years ago in food and dining in the US might has well have been 100
years ago.

When did oilfish become commonly sold and eaten in New England?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Escolar Mark Thorson General Cooking 23 03-06-2010 04:36 AM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 106 11-05-2010 08:52 PM
White Tuna (Escolar) Norman Leonski Sushi 46 05-05-2006 08:03 PM
ESCOLAR FISH WITH MANGO AND SHRIMP RAVIOLI yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:24 AM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 18-03-2005 11:22 PM