Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Hangiri

Hi,

My hangiri question was buried under chopsticks vs. fingers argument which sprouted from misunderstang. And Zag wondered why this newsgroup is somewhat quiet.

Anyway, anyone has bought hangiri from internet, or anywhere else? I have used a large plastic bowl which in fact work very well but it don't look too good. I'd like to upgrade to wooden hangiri but I'm a bit unsere about the quality. I would need about 40cm wide hangiri. The price range is roughly from $50 to $200. I'm willing to pay higher price if I know the quality is good.

Any recommendtaions?

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Armadillo" > wrote in message
news

> Hi,
>
> My hangiri question was buried under chopsticks vs. fingers argument which
> sprouted from misunderstang. And Zag wondered why this newsgroup is
> somewhat quiet.
>
> Anyway, anyone has bought hangiri from internet, or anywhere else? I have
> used a large plastic bowl which in fact work very well but it don't look
> too good. I'd like to upgrade to wooden hangiri but I'm a bit unsere about
> the quality. I would need about 40cm wide hangiri. The price range is
> roughly from $50 to $200. I'm willing to pay higher price if I know the
> quality is good.
>
> Any recommendtaions?
>
> Jukka

I bought mine years ago at a huge Japanese supermarket south of Los Angeles.
I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was certainly under $100 or I
wouldn't have bought it. As for quality, it should be made like a barrel
(with vertical side pieces like staves, and hoops), and made of solid and
relatively soft wood which will absorb water. I always give mine a quick
bath before using it, to prevent it from absorbing too much water from the
rice. Pine and cypress are popular woods. The hoops can be merely decorative
plastic these days, with the side "staves" being laminated together. But the
best of the best in terms of craftsmanship, anyway, will have functional
metal hoops. And a cheaper one will likely outlast it.

All that said, I hardly ever use it, except for "show." Good rice cookers,
properly used, get the rice as close to "perfect" as I'll ever manage.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> I bought mine years ago at a huge Japanese supermarket south of Los Angeles.
> I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was certainly under $100 or I
> wouldn't have bought it. As for quality, it should be made like a barrel
> (with vertical side pieces like staves, and hoops), and made of solid and

I finally bought one from local Japanese store 'Tokyokan'. It was quite expensive and I bought cast iron pot for nabemono too.

> relatively soft wood which will absorb water. I always give mine a quick
> bath before using it, to prevent it from absorbing too much water from the
> rice. Pine and cypress are popular woods. The hoops can be merely decorative

This on has nice mild smell of resin. Hoops are made of copper.

> plastic these days, with the side "staves" being laminated together. But the
> best of the best in terms of craftsmanship, anyway, will have functional
> metal hoops. And a cheaper one will likely outlast it.

This one is made in Japan and I got very good instructions too. I also got pice of wasabi root which is not usually available here.

> All that said, I hardly ever use it, except for "show." Good rice cookers,
> properly used, get the rice as close to "perfect" as I'll ever manage.

I have made sushi about 20 years now and it took me a log time to learn how to make good rice. So I will definately not buy a rice cooker because I'd hate it if it makes better rice than me. ;-)

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:24:35 +0200:

>> I bought mine years ago at a huge Japanese supermarket south of Los
>> Angeles. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it
>> was certainly under $100 or I wouldn't have bought it. As for
>> quality, it should be made like a barrel (with vertical side pieces
>> like staves, and hoops), and made of solid and

> I finally bought one from local Japanese store 'Tokyokan'. It was
> quite expensive and I bought cast iron pot for nabemono
> too.

>> relatively soft wood which will absorb water. I always give
>> mine a quick bath before using it, to prevent it from
>> absorbing too much water from the rice. Pine and cypress are popular
>> woods. The hoops can be merely decorative

> This on has nice mild smell of resin. Hoops are made of
> copper.

>> plastic these days, with the side "staves" being laminated
>> together. But the best of the best in terms of craftsmanship,
>> anyway, will have functional metal hoops. And a cheaper one
>> will likely outlast it.

> This one is made in Japan and I got very good instructions
> too. I also got pice of wasabi root which is not usually
> available here.

>> All that said, I hardly ever use it, except for "show." Good rice
>> cookers, properly used, get the rice as close to
>> "perfect" as I'll ever manage.

> I have made sushi about 20 years now and it took me a log time
> to learn how to make good rice. So I will definately not buy a
> rice cooker because I'd hate it if it makes better rice than
> me. ;-)

I don't make my own sushi tho' I do make sushi rice to accompany various
things. I'm afraid that I follow Japanese custom and use an automatic
rice cooker.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Member

This information is useful with me,thanks a lot!
Thailand holiday packages- Thailand tour- Valentine cruise Halong bay