Terbear

Default Looking for a good place to have sushi in Cardiff by the Sea

Hi all!
I will be visiting Cardiff by the Sea to say at a B&B next week & would love
to have lunch at a sushi bar. My husband and I are also big fans of
Omakase. We frequent Sushi Wasabi in Tustin quite often. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated, Omakase or not!
Thanks!
Teri

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Gerry

In article <NfJ4d.333647$Oi.49646@fed1read04>, Terbear
> wrote:

> I will be visiting Cardiff by the Sea to say at a B&B next week & would love
> to have lunch at a sushi bar. My husband and I are also big fans of
> Omakase. We frequent Sushi Wasabi in Tustin quite often. Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated, Omakase or not!

Gee, when I saw this post I thought, this is right up my alley: in my
general area, calling for Omakase. Then I saw you actually frequent
Wasabi. We could be neighbors!

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you. Wasabi is excellent as is
Yoshino (across the street). Up the street, as I assume you know, we
have Osaka Kappo, Honda-Ya and Fish-Shin. Up a bit further we have
Uoko. You're in the center of the universe already!

In Cardiff I'd go have some tacos by the sea!

If you're not stridently Republican (I understand: we live in OC and it
can temper every breath one takes), we should get together for a bite.
We're big fans of such food (and many other cuisines), and are always
in pursuit...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Terbear

Hi!
We visit...I am blushing to say, at least 3-4 times a month, I know it will
break us....but Katsu goes to the fish market EVERY day!!!
Haven't been to Honda-Ya in years. I remember once I was there, (this was
like in the 80's), and the owner showed me how to eat ebi, with fingers &
upside down! He also told me that you do not tip the chef if he is the
owner, if that is the case, Katsu is making a fortune off of us.
We are further south, but do make sure we get there, even though it is a
drive.
We do keep our chopsticks at Goro in Irvine, by far the best family oriented
sushi bar we have been to, but if I would have to compare the two, I saw
WASABI!
Have you gone to Joe's Sushi in Buena Park? I think it is the best deal for
the price.

There is an Omakase in Laguna beach, but have never been, have you?

We have recently tried shabu, best described sushi meets fondue!

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
> the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> In article <NfJ4d.333647$Oi.49646@fed1read04>, Terbear
> > wrote:
>
> > I will be visiting Cardiff by the Sea to say at a B&B next week & would

love
> > to have lunch at a sushi bar. My husband and I are also big fans of
> > Omakase. We frequent Sushi Wasabi in Tustin quite often. Any suggestions
> > would be greatly appreciated, Omakase or not!

> Gee, when I saw this post I thought, this is right up my alley: in my
> general area, calling for Omakase. Then I saw you actually frequent
> Wasabi. We could be neighbors!
>
> Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you. Wasabi is excellent as is
> Yoshino (across the street). Up the street, as I assume you know, we
> have Osaka Kappo, Honda-Ya and Fish-Shin. Up a bit further we have
> Uoko. You're in the center of the universe already!
>
> In Cardiff I'd go have some tacos by the sea!
>
> If you're not stridently Republican (I understand: we live in OC and it
> can temper every breath one takes), we should get together for a bite.
> We're big fans of such food (and many other cuisines), and are always
> in pursuit...
>
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Terbear

[...]

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
> the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> In article <NfJ4d.333647$Oi.49646@fed1read04>, Terbear
> > wrote:
>
> > I will be visiting Cardiff by the Sea to say at a B&B next week & would

love
> > to have lunch at a sushi bar. My husband and I are also big fans of
> > Omakase. We frequent Sushi Wasabi in Tustin quite often. Any suggestions
> > would be greatly appreciated, Omakase or not!

> Gee, when I saw this post I thought, this is right up my alley: in my
> general area, calling for Omakase. Then I saw you actually frequent
> Wasabi. We could be neighbors!
>
> Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you. Wasabi is excellent as is
> Yoshino (across the street). Up the street, as I assume you know, we
> have Osaka Kappo, Honda-Ya and Fish-Shin. Up a bit further we have
> Uoko. You're in the center of the universe already!
>
> In Cardiff I'd go have some tacos by the sea!
>
> If you're not stridently Republican (I understand: we live in OC and it
> can temper every breath one takes), we should get together for a bite.
> We're big fans of such food (and many other cuisines), and are always
> in pursuit...
>
> --
> "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
> (Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.
>
> "The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
> reference to sake.

Gerry

In article <ZTL4d.334530$Oi.22287@fed1read04>, Terbear
> wrote:

> We visit...I am blushing to say, at least 3-4 times a month, I know
> it will break us....but Katsu goes to the fish market EVERY day!!!

I don't go often, a couple of times a year. There are too many places
around and frankly he's a bit too expensive for the payback--which is
admittedly a delight. That guy may be the best buyer in town! He
studies two pounds of blue-fin in Long Beach for 15 minutes before
bringing it down to Tustin. He's got an eye!

> Haven't been to Honda-Ya in years. I remember once I was there, (this
> was like in the 80's), and the owner showed me how to eat ebi, with
> fingers & upside down! He also told me that you do not tip the chef
> if he is the owner, if that is the case, Katsu is making a fortune
> off of us.

That's the basic rule. I never tip owner-run places. He's getting his
margin.

> We are further south, but do make sure we get there, even
> though it is a drive. We do keep our chopsticks at Goro in Irvine, by
> far the best family oriented sushi bar we have been to, but if I
> would have to compare the two, I saw WASABI! Have you gone to Joe's
> Sushi in Buena Park? I think it is the best deal for the price.

I never EVER shop dining for price; if it winds up to dear I simply
don't go back. There is a lovely lovely man, Hiro-san, at his own place
called Naka-Chan on Via Fabricante in Mission Viejo. It's stellar. We
use to eat there regularly when we lived in Aliso Viejo. We never
ordered--always omakase and he really went out of his way because we
were so appreciative and it was so rare he could trot out his vast
skills. A little ass-kissing goes a long way, especially with chef's
that don't get enthusiastic and explorational diners.

When in that area we haunted Uoko on Lake Forest, always good. There
are numerous others that I don't consider superior, but most were
serviceable.

> There is an Omakase in Laguna beach, but have never been, have you?

Everywhere I go is omakase if I trust the chef. Right now I know of
nowhere in Laguna. There is always San-Shi-Go, but the chefs move in
and out so quickly. Frequently there will be subs from far away,
Studio City and such, and will wise us to some great places. We speak
a little Japanese and they get excited and start bringing us
curioisities and specials.

Not far up-coast in Corona del Mar there is Gen-Kai, which is almost
always good. Jun-san was the chef there for many years, but he got
high-jacked elsewhere to a place that couldn't work. I've lost contact
with him now.

In Costa Mesa Kappo Sui is fabulous, but you have to either read the
kana/kanji blackboard or (slightly) pressure the waitresses to read it
to you--whereupon you must know something about what they are saying.
I learned a lot there. But it was too crowded with Japanese
businessmen and we felt a bit slighted. Nevertheless Shirai-san is
known far and wide--he was the head chef at Kitayama for 20+ years and
is part owner of Kappo Sui.

Across from Kitayama (which I assume everybody knows for it's joys and
sorrows) on Bristol there is a new place; Yuki Sushi. Yukio-san can do
it all, truly, and with much creative flair. Makes his own tsukemono
(pickles) which one is not likely to find elsewhere. He use to be head
chef at Kampai (now Ikko, see below). Then briefly at Midori (where we
sometimes go after-hours on Saturdays to drink shochu and listen to the
local Japanese sing enka ballads) with Toro-san.

If you haven't tried Ikko in Costa Mesa it's all the rage, quite
nouvelle Japanese, and impressive. Small and now quite hard to get
seated. Don't go while starving, there's a wait. It's on Baker a
block off Bristol.

> We have recently tried shabu, best described sushi meets fondue!

If you want a feast never to forget try Koto in Irvine (not for from OC
Airport). Order the kaiseki dinner in advance. They usually have two
dinner types, one with 7 and one with 9 course or some such. They are
like 40-60 per person. But really amazing quality, freshness,
presentation, etc. There's nothing vaguely like it in OC. Abe Sushi on
in Newport on the peninsula (currently doing a re-design) does a much
more nouvelle kaiseki dinner, but a fabulous chef from Kyoto who works
there, another Katsu-san, leaned over the counter and recommended Koto
instead. For which we are eternally grateful. It's where we now go
for anniversaries, birthday's etc.

I think I'm hyperventilating...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Gerry