Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> The derivation of that old tune, by the way, is something of a
> mystery. There are various theories.
>
> But this is supposed to be a sushi forum, yes?

It is, as if you and I give a damn. I woke up about 4 days ago sayin,
"Hey, where the hell did 'Pop Goes the Weasel' come from?"

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> The derivation of that old tune, by the way, is something of a
> mystery. There are various theories.
>
> But this is supposed to be a sushi forum, yes?

It is, as if you and I give a damn. I woke up about 4 days ago sayin,
"Hey, where the hell did 'Pop Goes the Weasel' come from?"

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
werewolf

> > I think it was in "We Want Our Mummy" (1939) that Moe and
> > Curly were the waiters and Larry played the chef in an
> > African or Middle Eastern cafe.

> I love that one! I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

No, it's "Malice In the Palace"! That's the title that first occurred
to me, but I was embarrassed to post it, embarrassed to let on that I
know that much about the Stooges!

Ha! Where's that 3 Stooge expert? Oh, a wise guy, eh! Woo woo woo
woo!

http://www.djangomusic.com/item_movi...&id=V+++146438

ww
werewolf

> > I think it was in "We Want Our Mummy" (1939) that Moe and
> > Curly were the waiters and Larry played the chef in an
> > African or Middle Eastern cafe.

> I love that one! I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

No, it's "Malice In the Palace"! That's the title that first occurred
to me, but I was embarrassed to post it, embarrassed to let on that I
know that much about the Stooges!

Ha! Where's that 3 Stooge expert? Oh, a wise guy, eh! Woo woo woo
woo!

http://www.djangomusic.com/item_movi...&id=V+++146438

ww
werewolf

"I woke up about 4 days ago sayin,
"Hey, where the hell did 'Pop Goes the Weasel' come from?"

You're pulling my leg!

Something about it being a dialect song about people working in an old
English sweatshop factory... The weasel is a slang word for the loom
that makes a popping noise. I dunno. I still think it's about a
weasel that eats a monkey, but I'm pretty naive.

ww

Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> "I woke up about 4 days ago sayin, "Hey, where the hell did 'Pop Goes
> the Weasel' come from?"
>
> You're pulling my leg!

I'm not. But I frequently wake up in the morning with oddities. Twice I
woke up with a word plopped in my brain, assumed it was jibberish,
looked it up and found it WAS a word! Specifically, shibboleth and
avuncular.

> Something about it being a dialect song about people working in an
> old English sweatshop factory... The weasel is a slang word for the
> loom that makes a popping noise. I dunno. I still think it's about
> a weasel that eats a monkey, but I'm pretty naive.

I remember reading "Little Black Sambo" when I was a kid (and it had
yet to become a museum-piece) and wondering why, between that and "Pop
Goes the Weasel" there was so much "running around" a tree or bush
going on.

Now if you'll give me the etymology for cocktail and cockamamie, I'll
be on my way...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> "I woke up about 4 days ago sayin, "Hey, where the hell did 'Pop Goes
> the Weasel' come from?"
>
> You're pulling my leg!

I'm not. But I frequently wake up in the morning with oddities. Twice I
woke up with a word plopped in my brain, assumed it was jibberish,
looked it up and found it WAS a word! Specifically, shibboleth and
avuncular.

> Something about it being a dialect song about people working in an
> old English sweatshop factory... The weasel is a slang word for the
> loom that makes a popping noise. I dunno. I still think it's about
> a weasel that eats a monkey, but I'm pretty naive.

I remember reading "Little Black Sambo" when I was a kid (and it had
yet to become a museum-piece) and wondering why, between that and "Pop
Goes the Weasel" there was so much "running around" a tree or bush
going on.

Now if you'll give me the etymology for cocktail and cockamamie, I'll
be on my way...

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
werewolf

> Now if you'll give me the etymology for cocktail and cockamamie, I'll
> be on my way...

Cockamamie, it says here -

" "cockamamie" actually sprang from one of the great popular fads of
the 19th century, now long forgotten. "Decalcomania," from the French
for "tracing craze," was the practice of transferring colored designs
to the skin from damp paper -- what we call today "decals" or
"temporary tattoos." The "mania" began in France in the mid-1800s, and
quickly became the rage among children everywhere. As a harmless but
immensely silly fad, "decalcomania," and its linguistic offspring
"cockamamie," came to mean something so transparently phony or absurd
(as in "cockamamie alibi") that one ought to doubt the sanity of the
source."

And cocktail:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcocktail.html

And Little Black Sambo, fully illustrated!

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/sambo.htm

ww
werewolf

> Now if you'll give me the etymology for cocktail and cockamamie, I'll
> be on my way...

Cockamamie, it says here -

" "cockamamie" actually sprang from one of the great popular fads of
the 19th century, now long forgotten. "Decalcomania," from the French
for "tracing craze," was the practice of transferring colored designs
to the skin from damp paper -- what we call today "decals" or
"temporary tattoos." The "mania" began in France in the mid-1800s, and
quickly became the rage among children everywhere. As a harmless but
immensely silly fad, "decalcomania," and its linguistic offspring
"cockamamie," came to mean something so transparently phony or absurd
(as in "cockamamie alibi") that one ought to doubt the sanity of the
source."

And cocktail:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcocktail.html

And Little Black Sambo, fully illustrated!

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/sambo.htm

ww
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> > Now if you'll give me the etymology for cocktail and cockamamie, I'll
> > be on my way...

> Cockamamie, it says here -
>
> " "cockamamie" actually sprang from one of the great popular fads of
> the 19th century, now long forgotten. "Decalcomania," from the French
> for "tracing craze," was the practice of transferring colored designs
> to the skin from damp paper -- what we call today "decals" or
> "temporary tattoos." The "mania" began in France in the mid-1800s, and
> quickly became the rage among children everywhere. As a harmless but
> immensely silly fad, "decalcomania," and its linguistic offspring
> "cockamamie," came to mean something so transparently phony or absurd
> (as in "cockamamie alibi") that one ought to doubt the sanity of the
> source."

Good stuff. That one's put to bed.

> And cocktail:
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcocktail.html

Fascinating decoupage of possible options. More than I've seen,
actually. Still no winners. Nevertheless, one free cocktail for you
the next time we meet! :-)

> And Little Black Sambo, fully illustrated!
>
> http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/sambo.htm

Jeez. It's somebody's full-time job!

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Mike Stillman

Dan Logcher > wrote:
: werewolf wrote:
:> "I'd try it once. No worse than eating duckies or bunnies, and I've
:> had both of those."
:>
:> It's not just that they eat dogs, but they trick people into giving
:> them unwanted pet dogs - and then they torture them to death!
:
: That could be, probably is, PETA propaganda. I'm not saying it's not
: dog, but PETA tends to fabricate reports like this.

PETA had nothing to do with it. The "unwanted pet dogs" meme was
reinforced by a serial prankster named Skaggs. More info he

<http://www.snopes.com/critters/edibles/dogsoup.htm>

Michael

"Mike Stillman" > wrote in message
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
> : werewolf wrote:
> :> "I'd try it once. No worse than eating duckies or bunnies, and I've
> :> had both of those."
> :>
> :> It's not just that they eat dogs, but they trick people into giving
> :> them unwanted pet dogs - and then they torture them to death!
> :
> : That could be, probably is, PETA propaganda. I'm not saying it's not
> : dog, but PETA tends to fabricate reports like this.
>
> PETA had nothing to do with it. The "unwanted pet dogs" meme was
> reinforced by a serial prankster named Skaggs. More info he

I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France and
Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure they
would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.

Gerry

In article >, Michael
> wrote:

> I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France and
> Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
> protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure they
> would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.

Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't make
it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was dog,
cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Michael

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Michael
> > wrote:
>
> > I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France

and
> > Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
> > protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure

they
> > would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.

> Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't make
> it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
> rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was dog,
> cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.

Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.

Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>In article >, Michael
> wrote:
>>

>>>I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France
>>>

> and
>
>>>Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
>>>protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure
>>>

> they
>
>>>would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.
>>>

>>Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't make
>>it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
>>rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was dog,
>>cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.
>>

> Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
> animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
> dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
> pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
>
> Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
> item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>In article >, Michael
> wrote:
>>

>>>I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France
>>>

> and
>
>>>Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
>>>protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure
>>>

> they
>
>>>would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.
>>>

>>Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't make
>>it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
>>rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was dog,
>>cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.
>>

> Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
> animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
> dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
> pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
>
> Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
> item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>In article >, Michael
> wrote:
>>

>>>I've had guinea pig in South America, dog in Korea, raw horse in France
>>>

> and
>
>>>Japan, whale in Japan, and God knows what it was in China. It is all
>>>protein. My pigs would eat a live chicken in a heart beat and I'm sure
>>>

> they
>
>>>would have made short work of me if I had a heart attack in their pen.
>>>

>>Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't make
>>it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
>>rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was dog,
>>cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.
>>

> Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
> animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
> dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
> pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
>
> Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
> item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Michael wrote:
>=20
> > "Gerry" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >=20

France

> > and
> >=20

all

sure

> > they
> >=20

pen.

> >>Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't =

make
> >>it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
> >>rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was =

dog,
> >>cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.
> >>

> >=20
> > Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a =

particular
> > animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you =

to a
> > dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By =

the way
> > pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
> >=20
> > Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. =

The only
> > item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my =

host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it =

down.
>=20
> Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the =

eyes.
> I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan
>=20

Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Michael wrote:
>=20
> > "Gerry" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >=20

France

> > and
> >=20

all

sure

> > they
> >=20

pen.

> >>Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't =

make
> >>it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish, however
> >>rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if there was =

dog,
> >>cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of fare.
> >>

> >=20
> > Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a =

particular
> > animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you =

to a
> > dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By =

the way
> > pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
> >=20
> > Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. =

The only
> > item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my =

host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it =

down.
>=20
> Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the =

eyes.
> I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan
>=20

Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

"> >
> > Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The

only
> > item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my

host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

> Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
> I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>
> --
> Dan

Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

My experience was in Taiwan at a dinner where my Japanese associate was the
guest of honor so he ate the first eye and then the second was offered to
me. It was a poached sea bass I think.

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

"> >
> > Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The

only
> > item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my

host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

> Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
> I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>
> --
> Dan

Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

My experience was in Taiwan at a dinner where my Japanese associate was the
guest of honor so he ate the first eye and then the second was offered to
me. It was a poached sea bass I think.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Michael wrote:
>>

>>>"Gerry" > wrote in message
s...

>>>and

>>>they

>>>Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
>>>animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
>>>dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
>>>pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
>>>
>>>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
>>>item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
>>>that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

>>Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
>>I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
> And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
> Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

It was a sea bass, or black bass.. I can't remember. I think you are
suppose to eat both eyes. Chinese restaurants in Chinatown server
chicken, fish, and lobster whole or with the head on the plate.

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Michael wrote:
>>

>>>"Gerry" > wrote in message
s...

>>>and

>>>they

>>>Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a particular
>>>animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business associates take you to a
>>>dog restaurant and guess what...you're going to be eating dog. By the way
>>>pigs, chickens and steers are also domesticated animals.
>>>
>>>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat. The only
>>>item I balked at was fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
>>>that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

>>Well put, since it is the guest of honor who is suppose to eat the eyes.
>>I've done it once, no biggie. Not all that flavorful.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is this?
> And are you suppose to eat two eyes from one fish?
> Or are we talking about a bowl full of fish eyes?

It was a sea bass, or black bass.. I can't remember. I think you are
suppose to eat both eyes. Chinese restaurants in Chinatown server
chicken, fish, and lobster whole or with the head on the plate.

--
Dan
Art

>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat.

Well illustrated in the beginning of the movie "The Beach".
Art

>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat.

Well illustrated in the beginning of the movie "The Beach".

Dan Logcher

Art wrote:

>>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat.
>>

> Well illustrated in the beginning of the movie "The Beach".

I was thinking that too.. I think it was cobra blood.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Art wrote:

>>Oh, yea a snake blood cocktail in Hong Kong is also a real treat.
>>

> Well illustrated in the beginning of the movie "The Beach".

I was thinking that too.. I think it was cobra blood.

--
Dan

Tippi

"Michael" > wrote
> I balked at [...] fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

If I remember correctly you can't "wolf down" fish eyes, because when
they are cooked the centre part becomes very hard. My mom spits it out
like a fruit pit. The part surrounding the "pit" though is very
gelatinous and thus regarded as nutritious.
Tippi

"Michael" > wrote
> I balked at [...] fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

If I remember correctly you can't "wolf down" fish eyes, because when
they are cooked the centre part becomes very hard. My mom spits it out
like a fruit pit. The part surrounding the "pit" though is very
gelatinous and thus regarded as nutritious.
Tippi

"Michael" > wrote

> I've had guinea pig in South America

Guinea pig - the new Chicken? I just read the following article yesterday

http://www.canoe.ca/LifewiseFooddrin...neapig-ap.html

Tippi

"Michael" > wrote

> I've had guinea pig in South America

Guinea pig - the new Chicken? I just read the following article yesterday

http://www.canoe.ca/LifewiseFooddrin...neapig-ap.html
Michael

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> "Michael" > wrote
> > I balked at [...] fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

> If I remember correctly you can't "wolf down" fish eyes, because when
> they are cooked the centre part becomes very hard. My mom spits it out
> like a fruit pit. The part surrounding the "pit" though is very
> gelatinous and thus regarded as nutritious.

Neither of the consumers of the eyes spit out anything. Lots of domo
arigato and such. The Chinese host spoke Japanese and the Japanese guest
spoke Chinese and the whole bowing thing left this dumb ass southern boy in
the wake.

Michael

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> "Michael" > wrote
> > I balked at [...] fish eyes. Just couldn't handle it and told my host
> > that I wasn't worthy of the honor. He took the hint and wolfed it down.

> If I remember correctly you can't "wolf down" fish eyes, because when
> they are cooked the centre part becomes very hard. My mom spits it out
> like a fruit pit. The part surrounding the "pit" though is very
> gelatinous and thus regarded as nutritious.

Neither of the consumers of the eyes spit out anything. Lots of domo
arigato and such. The Chinese host spoke Japanese and the Japanese guest
spoke Chinese and the whole bowing thing left this dumb ass southern boy in
the wake.

Musashi

"Tippi" > wrote in message =
m...
> "Michael" > wrote=20
> >=20
> > I've had guinea pig in South America

>=20
> Guinea pig - the new Chicken? I just read the following article =

yesterday
>=20
> http://www.canoe.ca/LifewiseFooddrin...neapig-ap.html

So...who is going to form alt.food.guineapigs?

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/31992.htm

Gerry

In article >, Michael
> wrote:

> > Horses will eat their own excrement when starving. That doesn't
> > make it desirable. I've eaten some stuff that made me squeamish,
> > however rarely. I think I'd find something else on the menu if
> > there was dog, cat, or any other domesticaed animal as the bill of
> > fare.

> Japan and Korea tend to have restaurants that specialize in a
> particular animal. Crab, fugu, or whatever. Your business
> associates take you to a dog restaurant and guess what...you're going
> to be eating dog. By the way pigs, chickens and steers are also
> domesticated animals.

It depends on what you mean by "domesticate". But if you want to
quibble on the topic I've encountered more fish, rabbit, frogs and
turtles in peoples homes that cows, chickens or pigs.

It's a cultural, thing as if somebody had to say that directly to
ensure there was no confusion. I could likely eat "mystery meat" and
be delighted only to find out later it was human flesh. It's not about
the taste, but the concept.

So when I see dog, horse, cat, parrot, and doubtless many other
unexpected things on a menu, I'd balk, I'm quite sure. Initially
wwerewolf was aghast that the animals were tortured to a slow death. I
don't recall he, or another, quibbling about the delicacy itself.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

werewolf

The "unwanted pet dogs" meme was
> reinforced by a serial prankster named Skaggs. More info he
>
> <http://www.snopes.com/critters/edibles/dogsoup.htm>

Uh, no, 'fraid not. Korean consumption of dog meat has nothing to do
with a "serial prankster", nor has it any relevance that someone
dislikes organizations that exist to protect animals from cruelty.

Excerpt:

"WHERE DO THESE RESTAURANTS GET DOGS FROM?

Restaurant owners who wish to provide these dishes must rely on
criminals to obtain animals. "Bunchers", as they are called. are
people who obtain animals illegally, and sell them to restaurants,
vivisection labs, satanic cults*, and pit bull fighting rings.
Wherever they can make a quick profit. Most often, bunchers obtain
animals from "FREE TO GOOD HOME" ads in the local newspaper.
By masquerading as an animal lover, sometimes going as far as to bring
a child along, he can easily obtain several animals in one day. By
selling the animals for much more than he paid (nothing!), it's not
hard to imagine how lucrative this cottage industry is. Animal
Activist groups estimate at least
30 known bunchers are operating in Orange County alone!"

They must rely on criminals to obtain the animals because dog
consumption is illegal in the USA.

The link (which I posted before):

http://www.aapn.org/fooddogsna.html

ww
werewolf

"Fascinating decoupage of possible options. More than I've seen,
actually. Still no winners. Nevertheless, one free cocktail for you
the next time we meet! :-)"

Awrite! Also, I must try to incorporate that word into my
converstion, as soon as I, uh, find out what it means...

One entry found for decoupage.
Main Entry: de·cou·page
Variant(s): or dé·cou·page /"dA-(")kü-'päzh/
Function: noun
Etymology: French découpage, literally, act of cutting out, from
Middle French, from decouper to cut out, from de- + couper to cut --
more at COPE
1 : the art of decorating surfaces by applying cutouts (as of paper)
and then coating with usually several layers of finish (as lacquer or
varnish)
2 : work produced by decoupage
- decoupage or découpage transitive verb

Hmm...this may not be so easy, but i shall do my best to decoupage my
converstaion with it every now and then. It will add a certain,
keskoosay*, *decoupage* to my speech, I think, je ne ce quas?*

ww

*I don't know how to spell those things, but I used to hear French
people - I used to have a Parisian girlfriend - parleyvooing them all
the time.
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> > Fascinating decoupage of possible options. More than I've seen,
> > actually. Still no winners. Nevertheless, one free cocktail for
> > you the next time we meet! :-)

> Awrite! Also, I must try to incorporate that word into my
> converstion, as soon as I, uh, find out what it means...
>
> 1 : the art of decorating surfaces by applying cutouts (as of paper)
> and then coating with usually several layers of finish (as lacquer or
> varnish)

That's the one. Mosaic might be another suitable replacement.

> Hmm...this may not be so easy, but i shall do my best to decoupage my
> converstaion with it every now and then. It will add a certain,
> keskoosay*, *decoupage* to my speech, I think, je ne ce quas?*

I love to hear people say "it has a certain je ne se pa" (forgive
spelling). Once I asked a waiter, while looking at the chalkboard,
what the "soup du jour" was. He said, "Umm, today's soup du jour of
the day, is tomato." He now works for the Department of Redundancy
Department.

Last week I noted Paul McCartney singing in "Live and Let Die" the
phrase "the world in which we live in".

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article ux.net>,
starwars > wrote:

> >> Hmm...this may not be so easy, but i shall do my best to
> >> decoupage my
> >> converstaion with it every now and then. It will add a
> >> certain, keskoosay*, *decoupage* to my speech, I think,
> >> je ne ce quas?*

> >I love to hear people say "it has a certain je ne se pa"
> >(forgive spelling). Once I asked a waiter, while looking
> >at the chalkboard, what the "soup du jour" was. He said,
> >"Umm, today's soup du jour of the day, is tomato." He now
> >works for the Department of Redundancy Department.

> "It has a certain ... je ne sais quoi." translates as "It
> has a certain ... I do not know what." It can have a couple
> of meanings. In English, "It has a certain quality but I
> don't know how to describe it." Or, because it is frequently
> spoken by the French character in plays or movies, it
> occasionally means, "It has a certain quality ... but I don't
> know how to say it in English." USUALLY, it means the former,
> something indescribable. There's no redundancy.

My apologies to you.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
werewolf

"My apologies to you."

Appology accepted!

P.S. I don't know what you're appologizing for, but I'll accept it
anyway! Gerry, now you owe me TWO cocktails!

;-)

ww

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
American chopsticks notbob General Cooking 206 04-02-2009 02:58 AM
(2009-01-19) NS-RFC: Using chopsticks ChattyCathy General Cooking 134 23-01-2009 05:35 PM
Why do we still use chopsticks? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 199 25-04-2007 04:46 PM