anonymous

> > The name of the store on the ground floor is KOBEYA.
> > The upstairs is a Chinese restaurant that advertises
> > "Chinese Cuisine", "Sechuan style" and "Peking style".

> If it's since 894, you'd think they'd crow about it!

In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
charters (cf., UK)?

(In the US, I've heard of some businesses that falsely claim
"Established in xxxx" but get away with it because they call
it a logo rather than an advertisement. In the UK, some old
businesses operated under "Royal Charter" but I don't know
if any of those still exist or if they exist but no longer under
Royal Charter. Some pubs claim to go way back but I don't
know the oldest ones. Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
monks and monasteries.)

How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo piece of com
Musashi

"anonymous" > wrote in message
du...
> > > The name of the store on the ground floor is KOBEYA.
> > > The upstairs is a Chinese restaurant that advertises
> > > "Chinese Cuisine", "Sechuan style" and "Peking style".

> > If it's since 894, you'd think they'd crow about it!

> In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> charters (cf., UK)?

Yes it is a big deal in Japan because length of time in any given field is
considered
a sign of expertise. The "xxx-YA" ending is rather close in meaning to
the English "House of xxxx".
Yes there were Imperial Charterers and some stores would carry a plaque/sign
that
is basically something like..by appointment to the Emperor.
However I "think" this practice ended several decades ago. So any stores
that do make
such claims today would be very old established stores that have been around
a long time.

> (In the US, I've heard of some businesses that falsely claim
> "Established in xxxx" but get away with it because they call
> it a logo rather than an advertisement. In the UK, some old
> businesses operated under "Royal Charter" but I don't know
> if any of those still exist or if they exist but no longer under
> Royal Charter. Some pubs claim to go way back but I don't
> know the oldest ones. Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
> or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
> monks and monasteries.)

I saw a Japanese TV news show that traced one of these stores to verify if
their
Imperial charter was valid. Turned out in this particular case that the
store had been
issued one a long time ago then it was deleted, removed from the charter
list. But the
store kept it hanging up anyway. And all this was like in the 1920s.

> How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

Sake is about 2000 years old in Japan.
Brewing Sake really came into its own after the 1300s.
Taking a sake such as Kikumasamune as an example, which is a well known
sake from Nada (Kobe suburb) they claim an establishment date of 1659.
I think Harushika (Nara) make a claim to be being very old but I don't know
the date.

Musashi

Musashi

"anonymous" > wrote in message
du...
> > > The name of the store on the ground floor is KOBEYA.
> > > The upstairs is a Chinese restaurant that advertises
> > > "Chinese Cuisine", "Sechuan style" and "Peking style".

> > If it's since 894, you'd think they'd crow about it!

> In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> charters (cf., UK)?

Yes it is a big deal in Japan because length of time in any given field is
considered
a sign of expertise. The "xxx-YA" ending is rather close in meaning to
the English "House of xxxx".
Yes there were Imperial Charterers and some stores would carry a plaque/sign
that
is basically something like..by appointment to the Emperor.
However I "think" this practice ended several decades ago. So any stores
that do make
such claims today would be very old established stores that have been around
a long time.

> (In the US, I've heard of some businesses that falsely claim
> "Established in xxxx" but get away with it because they call
> it a logo rather than an advertisement. In the UK, some old
> businesses operated under "Royal Charter" but I don't know
> if any of those still exist or if they exist but no longer under
> Royal Charter. Some pubs claim to go way back but I don't
> know the oldest ones. Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
> or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
> monks and monasteries.)

I saw a Japanese TV news show that traced one of these stores to verify if
their
Imperial charter was valid. Turned out in this particular case that the
store had been
issued one a long time ago then it was deleted, removed from the charter
list. But the
store kept it hanging up anyway. And all this was like in the 1920s.

> How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

Sake is about 2000 years old in Japan.
Brewing Sake really came into its own after the 1300s.
Taking a sake such as Kikumasamune as an example, which is a well known
sake from Nada (Kobe suburb) they claim an establishment date of 1659.
I think Harushika (Nara) make a claim to be being very old but I don't know
the date.

Musashi

Gerry

In article >, anonymous
> wrote:

> > > The name of the store on the ground floor is KOBEYA.
> > > The upstairs is a Chinese restaurant that advertises
> > > "Chinese Cuisine", "Sechuan style" and "Peking style".

> > If it's since 894, you'd think they'd crow about it!

> In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan?

Family lineage and legacy is a big deal, yes.

> Are there many
> shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> 200, ... >1000 years?

I've seen a number of products and places that claim legacy going back
to the 1500-1600's. What they are now fails to stick, but I think
there are a number of places in Kyoto that make such claims and also in
places like Takayama. There's always been restaurants or lodging in a
particular area and that might well go back to 900 or so, though I
doubt many claim family lineage as proprietors.

IIRC, their merchant class was considered lower than the farmer class
until the 1500-1600 or even later. I would figure there'd be no pride
in a family name's connection, and I'm not sure what non-samarai
family's really had in the way of "family names". I think they were
the equivalent of "Kenji from the Mountains" and such.

> Were there such things as Imperial
> charters (cf., UK)?

No idea, but that's an excellent question and I'm sure they had
artisans and others that were affiliated with local daimyo and such.

> (In the US, I've heard of some businesses that falsely claim
> "Established in xxxx" but get away with it because they call
> it a logo rather than an advertisement. In the UK, some old
> businesses operated under "Royal Charter" but I don't know
> if any of those still exist or if they exist but no longer under
> Royal Charter. Some pubs claim to go way back but I don't
> know the oldest ones. Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
> or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
> monks and monasteries.)

One beer-expert I know points out that some of the monastery breweries
cite the establishment of the monastery, not the dates they began
making their brew, nor the dates they began distributing it.

> How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

Oh their are some old ones, I know, but I've never really pondered the
exact dates of such. This, even though I've been to a few brewery's
museums that do a lot of bragging about it.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
James Silverton

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,

anonymous
> > wrote:

Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
> > or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
> > monks and monasteries.)

> One beer-expert I know points out that some of the monastery

breweries
> cite the establishment of the monastery, not the dates they began
> making their brew, nor the dates they began distributing it.
>
> > How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

> Oh their are some old ones, I know, but I've never really pondered

the
> exact dates of such. This, even though I've been to a few brewery's
> museums that do a lot of bragging about it.

We are getting a bit OT but I can't resist saying that there is often
a disparity between seemingly reliable traditions and the facts, like
with Budweiser beer. IMHO, it is a product much different and inferior
to many beers from the Czech Republic and is only palatable on a very
hot day if served with ice crystals forming.

Beer was made in Ceske Budovice before records were kept and it was
famous in the 1500s. Over the years, the larger breweries had
gradually put the town's smaller breweries out of business and led to
a concentration of production in the larger factories. On April 15,
1895, a joint-stock brewery using the German name Budweiser was
established. Brewing began on Oct. 7, 1895. In that year, the company
supplied the beer needs of the petty German King of Wurttemberg.

However, despite much whining by Europeans, there is one inconvenient
fact. In 1876, the name Budweiser had been adopted by the American
brewer Adolphus Bush. When the Czech brewery, 20 years later, wished
to begin exports to the New World, this caused problems, and the name
Budvar had to be given.

Jim.

James Silverton

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,

anonymous
> > wrote:

Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries
> > or vineyards claim to go back hundreds of years to founding
> > monks and monasteries.)

> One beer-expert I know points out that some of the monastery

breweries
> cite the establishment of the monastery, not the dates they began
> making their brew, nor the dates they began distributing it.
>
> > How old is sake and do any breweries claim such long histories?

> Oh their are some old ones, I know, but I've never really pondered

the
> exact dates of such. This, even though I've been to a few brewery's
> museums that do a lot of bragging about it.

We are getting a bit OT but I can't resist saying that there is often
a disparity between seemingly reliable traditions and the facts, like
with Budweiser beer. IMHO, it is a product much different and inferior
to many beers from the Czech Republic and is only palatable on a very
hot day if served with ice crystals forming.

Beer was made in Ceske Budovice before records were kept and it was
famous in the 1500s. Over the years, the larger breweries had
gradually put the town's smaller breweries out of business and led to
a concentration of production in the larger factories. On April 15,
1895, a joint-stock brewery using the German name Budweiser was
established. Brewing began on Oct. 7, 1895. In that year, the company
supplied the beer needs of the petty German King of Wurttemberg.

However, despite much whining by Europeans, there is one inconvenient
fact. In 1876, the name Budweiser had been adopted by the American
brewer Adolphus Bush. When the Czech brewery, 20 years later, wished
to begin exports to the New World, this caused problems, and the name
Budvar had to be given.

Jim.

Gerry

In article >, James Silverton
> wrote:

> > > Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries or vineyards claim to go back
> > > hundreds of years to founding monks and monasteries.)

> > One beer-expert I know points out that some of the monastery
> > breweries cite the establishment of the monastery, not the dates
> > they began making their brew, nor the dates they began distributing
> > it.
> >

> We are getting a bit OT but I can't resist saying that there is often
> a disparity between seemingly reliable traditions and the facts, like
> with Budweiser beer. IMHO, it is a product much different and
> inferior to many beers from the Czech Republic and is only palatable
> on a very hot day if served with ice crystals forming.
>
> Beer was made in Ceske Budovice before records were kept and it was
> famous in the 1500s. Over the years, the larger breweries had
> gradually put the town's smaller breweries out of business and led to
> a concentration of production in the larger factories. On April 15,
> 1895, a joint-stock brewery using the German name Budweiser was
> established. Brewing began on Oct. 7, 1895. In that year, the company
> supplied the beer needs of the petty German King of Wurttemberg.
>
> However, despite much whining by Europeans, there is one inconvenient
> fact. In 1876, the name Budweiser had been adopted by the American
> brewer Adolphus Bush. When the Czech brewery, 20 years later, wished
> to begin exports to the New World, this caused problems, and the name
> Budvar had to be given.

Man, you need to hang with my beer guy. His name is Ken Hollingshead
and runs Hollingshead's Deli in Orange, CA, if you're passing by. A
great guy with vast knowledge. But then most of the guys drinking there
seem to know a staggering amount about beer, and many brew for their
own amusement or work in area breweries in one capacity or another.

In any case I've heard the Budvar story raged about at the pub on more
than one occasion. Some fun, that.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, James Silverton
> wrote:

> > > Elsewhere in Europe, some breweries or vineyards claim to go back
> > > hundreds of years to founding monks and monasteries.)

> > One beer-expert I know points out that some of the monastery
> > breweries cite the establishment of the monastery, not the dates
> > they began making their brew, nor the dates they began distributing
> > it.
> >

> We are getting a bit OT but I can't resist saying that there is often
> a disparity between seemingly reliable traditions and the facts, like
> with Budweiser beer. IMHO, it is a product much different and
> inferior to many beers from the Czech Republic and is only palatable
> on a very hot day if served with ice crystals forming.
>
> Beer was made in Ceske Budovice before records were kept and it was
> famous in the 1500s. Over the years, the larger breweries had
> gradually put the town's smaller breweries out of business and led to
> a concentration of production in the larger factories. On April 15,
> 1895, a joint-stock brewery using the German name Budweiser was
> established. Brewing began on Oct. 7, 1895. In that year, the company
> supplied the beer needs of the petty German King of Wurttemberg.
>
> However, despite much whining by Europeans, there is one inconvenient
> fact. In 1876, the name Budweiser had been adopted by the American
> brewer Adolphus Bush. When the Czech brewery, 20 years later, wished
> to begin exports to the New World, this caused problems, and the name
> Budvar had to be given.

Man, you need to hang with my beer guy. His name is Ken Hollingshead
and runs Hollingshead's Deli in Orange, CA, if you're passing by. A
great guy with vast knowledge. But then most of the guys drinking there
seem to know a staggering amount about beer, and many brew for their
own amusement or work in area breweries in one capacity or another.

In any case I've heard the Budvar story raged about at the pub on more
than one occasion. Some fun, that.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
guren

anonymous wrote:
> In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> charters (cf., UK)?

As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.

I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

glenn

guren

anonymous wrote:
> In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> charters (cf., UK)?

As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.

I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

glenn

Michael

"guren" > wrote in message
> anonymous wrote:
> > In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> > shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> > 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> > charters (cf., UK)?

> As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.
>
> I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
> that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
> Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

My boss when I worked for Aska Valves had a son who attended a school that
had been continuously operated for over fourteen hundred years. It was in
Nara, the old , old capital. The deer park was a flip also.

Michael

"guren" > wrote in message
> anonymous wrote:
> > In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> > shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> > 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> > charters (cf., UK)?

> As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.
>
> I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
> that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
> Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

My boss when I worked for Aska Valves had a son who attended a school that
had been continuously operated for over fourteen hundred years. It was in
Nara, the old , old capital. The deer park was a flip also.

Musashi

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "guren" > wrote in message
> > anonymous wrote:
> > > In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> > > shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> > > 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> > > charters (cf., UK)?

> > As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.
> >
> > I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
> > that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
> > Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

> My boss when I worked for Aska Valves had a son who attended a school that
> had been continuously operated for over fourteen hundred years. It was in
> Nara, the old , old capital. The deer park was a flip also.

Once they see you have a bag of food those deer can be very pushy

Musashi

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "guren" > wrote in message
> > anonymous wrote:
> > > In general, is such a thing a big deal in Japan? Are there many
> > > shops or businesses claiming to have been around for 100,
> > > 200, ... >1000 years? Were there such things as Imperial
> > > charters (cf., UK)?

> > As others have mentioned, yes, it can be a big deal.
> >
> > I am a member of a tennis club in Yokohama (www.yitc.org)
> > that takes great pride in being the first tennis club established in
> > Japan, as it was started sometime in the 1870s.

> My boss when I worked for Aska Valves had a son who attended a school that
> had been continuously operated for over fourteen hundred years. It was in
> Nara, the old , old capital. The deer park was a flip also.

Once they see you have a bag of food those deer can be very pushy

werewolf

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> Mekare wrote:
>
> > Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just wanted to
> > say I recently had a very good experience with EverythingChopsticks.com (
> > http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them over
> > the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2 cents!

> None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had the rough
> area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese chopsticks
> during a trip that have this, and it makes picking up the slippery stuff a lot
> easier.

I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
might wear off...

Ah, I've already got about 200 chopsticks lying around.

ww

werewolf

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> Mekare wrote:
>
> > Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just wanted to
> > say I recently had a very good experience with EverythingChopsticks.com (
> > http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them over
> > the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2 cents!

> None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had the rough
> area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese chopsticks
> during a trip that have this, and it makes picking up the slippery stuff a lot
> easier.

I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
might wear off...

Ah, I've already got about 200 chopsticks lying around.

ww
Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:
> Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
>
> I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
> market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
> chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
> I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
> sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
> between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
> might wear off...

No problems with food particles or roughness wearing away. I've had the
sets with this for over a decade and have no problems. Wash with soap and
water and dry.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:
> Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
>
> I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
> market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
> chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
> I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
> sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
> between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
> might wear off...

No problems with food particles or roughness wearing away. I've had the
sets with this for over a decade and have no problems. Wash with soap and
water and dry.

--
Dan

Musashi

"werewolf" > wrote in message
om...
> Dan Logcher > wrote in message

> > Mekare wrote:
> >
> > > Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just

wanted to
> > > say I recently had a very good experience with

EverythingChopsticks.com (
> > > http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them

over
> > > the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2

cents!

> > None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had

the rough
> > area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese

chopsticks
> > during a trip that have this, and it makes picking up the slippery stuff

a lot
> > easier.

> I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
> market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
> chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
> I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
> sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
> between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
> might wear off...
>
> Ah, I've already got about 200 chopsticks lying around.

Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.

Musashi

Musashi

"werewolf" > wrote in message
om...
> Dan Logcher > wrote in message

> > Mekare wrote:
> >
> > > Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just

wanted to
> > > say I recently had a very good experience with

EverythingChopsticks.com (
> > > http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them

over
> > > the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2

cents!

> > None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had

the rough
> > area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese

chopsticks
> > during a trip that have this, and it makes picking up the slippery stuff

a lot
> > easier.

> I was just ogling a pair of chopsticks like that at a small Korean
> market in Las Vegas - they were made in Japan - first time I saw
> chopsticks with a rough tip like that - $8 for two, I think - perhaps
> I should have bought them, but I was thinking they might be less
> sanitary than normal chopsticks, like tiny food particles getting
> between the tiny rough grains - or else I thought that the roughness
> might wear off...
>
> Ah, I've already got about 200 chopsticks lying around.

Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.

Musashi

werewolf

> Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
> Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.
>
> Musashi

Those chopsticks did not have the "holding grooves", they had a gritty
nonslip coating. It seems that that's the kind that Dan has been
using for the past ten years. I'm no longer in Las Vegas and kind of
sorry I diodn't buy them. Has anyone seen them for sale elsewhere? I
suppose that you could find them in a large Japanese or maybe Korean
market.

I just learned how to use chopsticks about eight months ago (I used
the immersion method), and now - like a typical annoying new convert!
- I don't like to eat with anything but!

ww
werewolf

> Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
> Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.
>
> Musashi

Those chopsticks did not have the "holding grooves", they had a gritty
nonslip coating. It seems that that's the kind that Dan has been
using for the past ten years. I'm no longer in Las Vegas and kind of
sorry I diodn't buy them. Has anyone seen them for sale elsewhere? I
suppose that you could find them in a large Japanese or maybe Korean
market.

I just learned how to use chopsticks about eight months ago (I used
the immersion method), and now - like a typical annoying new convert!
- I don't like to eat with anything but!

ww
Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:
>>Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
>>Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.

> Those chopsticks did not have the "holding grooves", they had a gritty
> nonslip coating. It seems that that's the kind that Dan has been
> using for the past ten years. I'm no longer in Las Vegas and kind of
> sorry I diodn't buy them. Has anyone seen them for sale elsewhere? I
> suppose that you could find them in a large Japanese or maybe Korean
> market.

I've seen the gritty tipped kind at Japanese markets. I suggest checking
there first.

> I just learned how to use chopsticks about eight months ago (I used
> the immersion method), and now - like a typical annoying new convert!
> - I don't like to eat with anything but!

Ha! About time

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:
>>Always have a set of Ohashi with the "holding grooves" at the end.
>>Makes eating noodles, both hot and cold, much easier.

> Those chopsticks did not have the "holding grooves", they had a gritty
> nonslip coating. It seems that that's the kind that Dan has been
> using for the past ten years. I'm no longer in Las Vegas and kind of
> sorry I diodn't buy them. Has anyone seen them for sale elsewhere? I
> suppose that you could find them in a large Japanese or maybe Korean
> market.

I've seen the gritty tipped kind at Japanese markets. I suggest checking
there first.

> I just learned how to use chopsticks about eight months ago (I used
> the immersion method), and now - like a typical annoying new convert!
> - I don't like to eat with anything but!

Ha! About time

--
Dan
werewolf

"Does anyone *like* those really long plastic blunt tip chopsticks
they have in Chinese restaurants?"

--- At a a very crowded local place in Little Saigon in Westminster,
CA there were two types of chopsticks on the tables - the "sanitary"
bamboo disposable kind and the reusable long plastic Chinese kind
which were loose, unwrapped. I noticed that most of the patrons were
favoring the long plastic chopsticks, and I think - having tried both
- that they are more efficient on the Vietnamese pho noodle soups.

--- Vietnamese like the long chopsticks; Japanese and Koreans the
short chopsticks.

"The cheezy, made-in-China chopsticks that -unfortunately- many
Japanese restaurants have come to rely upon are less than $0.05/pair."

--- Less than one cent, even at retail (even now, 3 1/2 years after
that message was written!)

--- Those sanitary disposable chopsticks are not very sanitary at all,
often made from dirty bamboo that was used in construction and then
bleached out with corrosive chemicals, and some by slave labor in
Chinese prisons under the most unsanitary conditions. They are
starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
very wasteful of wood.

--- ww

werewolf

> Ha! About time

Ha! Better late than never!
Gerry

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> "Does anyone *like* those really long plastic blunt tip chopsticks
> they have in Chinese restaurants?"

"Like"? I don't know, I can eat with them just fine. To me it has all
the distinction of trim design on the handle of a fork or spoon.
Doesn't really mean much to me. They all work just fine!

> --- At a a very crowded local place in Little Saigon in Westminster,
> CA there were two types of chopsticks on the tables - the "sanitary"
> bamboo disposable kind and the reusable long plastic Chinese kind
> which were loose, unwrapped. I noticed that most of the patrons were
> favoring the long plastic chopsticks, and I think - having tried both
> - that they are more efficient on the Vietnamese pho noodle soups.

Are you in the Westminster area? I'm in North-west Santa Ana so eat
there frequently. I've always seen plastic chinese chopsticks at the
table with the condiments; I've never once seen disposable chopsticks.
That would be about a 0 in 400 occasion for my Vietnamese dining in
Orange County.

> --- Vietnamese like the long chopsticks; Japanese and Koreans the
> short chopsticks.

So it seems. The legacy of the cuisines happen to be related as well.

> "The cheezy, made-in-China chopsticks that -unfortunately- many
> Japanese restaurants have come to rely upon are less than $0.05/pair."

These would be the "cheezy" disposable wooden kind then? I wish they
would dissapper. They have to whittle a lot of lumber, frequently from
Canada I understand to produce these billions of disposable chopsticks.

> --- Less than one cent, even at retail (even now, 3 1/2 years after
> that message was written!)
>
> --- Those sanitary disposable chopsticks are not very sanitary at all,
> often made from dirty bamboo that was used in construction and then
> bleached out with corrosive chemicals, and some by slave labor in
> Chinese prisons under the most unsanitary conditions. They are
> starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
> very wasteful of wood.

How do you come by the information they are made of bamboo. They all
seem to be made of what looks like pine...?

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, Musashi
> wrote:

> I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> chopsticks. Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable
> chopsticks) were made from wood exported from the United States.
> Somewhere in the middle of the country like Montana or Wyoming.
> Presume that's history now.

The last report on this stuff that I read (maybe 4 years ago) spoke of
Canada as the prime location of exporting chopsticks to Japan. They may
have been exporting the lumber though, rather than the finished item.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, Musashi
> wrote:

> I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> chopsticks. Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable
> chopsticks) were made from wood exported from the United States.
> Somewhere in the middle of the country like Montana or Wyoming.
> Presume that's history now.

The last report on this stuff that I read (maybe 4 years ago) spoke of
Canada as the prime location of exporting chopsticks to Japan. They may
have been exporting the lumber though, rather than the finished item.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Musashi
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> > chopsticks. Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable
> > chopsticks) were made from wood exported from the United States.
> > Somewhere in the middle of the country like Montana or Wyoming.
> > Presume that's history now.

> The last report on this stuff that I read (maybe 4 years ago) spoke of
> Canada as the prime location of exporting chopsticks to Japan. They may
> have been exporting the lumber though, rather than the finished item.

I am not surprised at all.

Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Musashi
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> > chopsticks. Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable
> > chopsticks) were made from wood exported from the United States.
> > Somewhere in the middle of the country like Montana or Wyoming.
> > Presume that's history now.

> The last report on this stuff that I read (maybe 4 years ago) spoke of
> Canada as the prime location of exporting chopsticks to Japan. They may
> have been exporting the lumber though, rather than the finished item.

I am not surprised at all.

werewolf

"Musashi" > wrote in message >...
> "werewolf" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Does anyone *like* those really long plastic blunt tip chopsticks
> > they have in Chinese restaurants?"
> >

> I grew up with the Japanese chopsticks so I find the Chinese ones too long
> for eating. But I have a bigger problem with them not being tapered, after
> all I have
> no problem at all using Japanese long chopsticks when cooking.
>
> > --- At a a very crowded local place in Little Saigon in Westminster,
> > CA there were two types of chopsticks on the tables - the "sanitary"
> > bamboo disposable kind and the reusable long plastic Chinese kind
> > which were loose, unwrapped. I noticed that most of the patrons were
> > favoring the long plastic chopsticks, and I think - having tried both
> > - that they are more efficient on the Vietnamese pho noodle soups.
> >

> That's surprising. If I recall correctly, Pho noodles are like Japanese Udon
> but
> flater and made from rice. I would have expected the bamboo chopsticks to be
> more popular as plastic ones really have a hard time holding noodles in
> broth.

I think the difference is that the pho comes in a very big bowl. The
big plastic chopsticks seem to hold the noodles OK. The trick is to
put your face close to the bowl.

I found some nice long Chinese-style chopsticks made from a
multicoloured wood, coconut I think, in the Vietnamese shops in
Westminster, very inexpensive. They're nice, I like them better than
plastic, but the wood is much weaker than bamboo.

> > --- Vietnamese like the long chopsticks; Japanese and Koreans the
> > short chopsticks.
> >
> > "The cheezy, made-in-China chopsticks that -unfortunately- many
> > Japanese restaurants have come to rely upon are less than $0.05/pair."
> > --- Less than one cent, even at retail (even now, 3 1/2 years after
> > that message was written!)
> >
> > --- Those sanitary disposable chopsticks are not very sanitary at all,
> > often made from dirty bamboo that was used in construction and then
> > bleached out with corrosive chemicals, and some by slave labor in
> > Chinese prisons under the most unsanitary conditions. They are
> > starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
> > very wasteful of wood.
> >

> I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> chopsticks.
> Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable chopsticks) were
> made
> from wood exported from the United States. Somewhere in the middle of the
> country
> like Montana or Wyoming. Presume that's history now.

Yeah, Japan imports them from China now, like everybody else. I read
about a Japanese girl who made an experiment as part of her project to
prove that the disposable chopsticks were unhealthy as well as being
destructive to the forests. She placed one into a bowl of fish and the
fish died, presumably because of the chemicals released from the
treated wood.

ww
werewolf

"Musashi" > wrote in message >...
> [...]

> > starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
> > very wasteful of wood.
> >

> I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> chopsticks.
> Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable chopsticks) were
> made
> from wood exported from the United States. Somewhere in the middle of the
> country
> like Montana or Wyoming. Presume that's history now.

Yeah, Japan imports them from China now, like everybody else. I read
about a Japanese girl who made an experiment as part of her project to
prove that the disposable chopsticks were unhealthy as well as being
destructive to the forests. She placed one into a bowl of fish and the
fish died, presumably because of the chemicals released from the

werewolf

"Musashi" > wrote in message >...
> [...]

> > starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
> > very wasteful of wood.
> >

> I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> chopsticks.
> Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable chopsticks) were
> made
> from wood exported from the United States. Somewhere in the middle of the
> country
> like Montana or Wyoming. Presume that's history now.

Yeah, Japan imports them from China now, like everybody else. I read
about a Japanese girl who made an experiment as part of her project to
prove that the disposable chopsticks were unhealthy as well as being
destructive to the forests. She placed one into a bowl of fish and the
fish died, presumably because of the chemicals released from the

Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, werewolf
> > wrote:
>
> > "Does anyone *like* those really long plastic blunt tip chopsticks
> > they have in Chinese restaurants?"

> "Like"? I don't know, I can eat with them just fine. To me it has all
> the distinction of trim design on the handle of a fork or spoon.
> Doesn't really mean much to me. They all work just fine!
>
> > --- At a a very crowded local place in Little Saigon in Westminster,
> > CA there were two types of chopsticks on the tables - the "sanitary"
> > bamboo disposable kind and the reusable long plastic Chinese kind
> > which were loose, unwrapped. I noticed that most of the patrons were
> > favoring the long plastic chopsticks, and I think - having tried both
> > - that they are more efficient on the Vietnamese pho noodle soups.

> Are you in the Westminster area? I'm in North-west Santa Ana so eat
> there frequently. I've always seen plastic chinese chopsticks at the
> table with the condiments; I've never once seen disposable chopsticks.
> That would be about a 0 in 400 occasion for my Vietnamese dining in
> Orange County.
>
> > --- Vietnamese like the long chopsticks; Japanese and Koreans the
> > short chopsticks.

> So it seems. The legacy of the cuisines happen to be related as well.
>
> > "The cheezy, made-in-China chopsticks that -unfortunately- many
> > Japanese restaurants have come to rely upon are less than $0.05/pair."

> These would be the "cheezy" disposable wooden kind then? I wish they
> would dissapper. They have to whittle a lot of lumber, frequently from
> Canada I understand to produce these billions of disposable chopsticks.
>
> > --- Less than one cent, even at retail (even now, 3 1/2 years after
> > that message was written!)
> >
> > --- Those sanitary disposable chopsticks are not very sanitary at all,
> > often made from dirty bamboo that was used in construction and then
> > bleached out with corrosive chemicals, and some by slave labor in
> > Chinese prisons under the most unsanitary conditions. They are
> > starting to outlaw them in some places in China now because they are
> > very wasteful of wood.

> How do you come by the information they are made of bamboo. They all
> seem to be made of what looks like pine...?

There are two basic "kinds" of waribashi used in Japanese restaurants.
The cheaper kind does look like pine (or other wood) and is cut so that
there are 4 sides.
This is the type where sometimes one screws up and they break unevenly
requiring
a stealthy stretch over the the empty table next to you to grab another set.
(see top- white birch waribashi)
The other kind is bamboo. Although square at the top where the two
hashi are joined, the rest of the chopsticks are each circular and are
tapered at the end.
This type is also fairly common especially in the better Japanese
resaurants.
(See second from top)
Some Bamboo chopsticks are not rounded and cut square.
(See last two examples at bottom)

http://www.beeluck.co.jp/HZ.event/KH...n/waribasi.htm

Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

> seem to be made of what looks like pine...?

There are two basic "kinds" of waribashi used in Japanese restaurants.
The cheaper kind does look like pine (or other wood) and is cut so that
there are 4 sides.
This is the type where sometimes one screws up and they break unevenly
requiring
a stealthy stretch over the the empty table next to you to grab another set.
(see top- white birch waribashi)
The other kind is bamboo. Although square at the top where the two
hashi are joined, the rest of the chopsticks are each circular and are
tapered at the end.
This type is also fairly common especially in the better Japanese
resaurants.
(See second from top)
Some Bamboo chopsticks are not rounded and cut square.

Musashi

"werewolf" > wrote in message
om...
> "Musashi" > wrote in message

> > "werewolf" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Does anyone *like* those really long plastic blunt tip chopsticks
> > > they have in Chinese restaurants?"
> > >

> > I grew up with the Japanese chopsticks so I find the Chinese ones too

long
> > for eating. But I have a bigger problem with them not being tapered,

after
> > all I have
> > no problem at all using Japanese long chopsticks when cooking.
> >
> > > --- At a a very crowded local place in Little Saigon in Westminster,
> > > CA there were two types of chopsticks on the tables - the "sanitary"
> > > bamboo disposable kind and the reusable long plastic Chinese kind
> > > which were loose, unwrapped. I noticed that most of the patrons were
> > > favoring the long plastic chopsticks, and I think - having tried both
> > > - that they are more efficient on the Vietnamese pho noodle soups.
> > >

> > That's surprising. If I recall correctly, Pho noodles are like Japanese

Udon
> > but
> > flater and made from rice. I would have expected the bamboo chopsticks

to be
> > more popular as plastic ones really have a hard time holding noodles in
> > broth.

> I think the difference is that the pho comes in a very big bowl. The
> big plastic chopsticks seem to hold the noodles OK. The trick is to
> put your face close to the bowl.

Must be great for clearing out sinuses

> I found some nice long Chinese-style chopsticks made from a
> multicoloured wood, coconut I think, in the Vietnamese shops in
> Westminster, very inexpensive. They're nice, I like them better than
> plastic, but the wood is much weaker than bamboo.

Yes, Bamboo seems to be the strongest.
Those fine laquered Japanese "family" chopsticks are bamboo.
Usually the laquer starts chipping well before the chopsticks themselves
show any signs of wear and tear.

<snip>

> > I'm not surprised that the Chinese are exporting low cost disposable
> > chopsticks.
> > Upto maybe 10 years ago, Japanese Waribashi (disposable chopsticks) were
> > made
> > from wood exported from the United States. Somewhere in the middle of

the
> > country
> > like Montana or Wyoming. Presume that's history now.

> Yeah, Japan imports them from China now, like everybody else. I read
> about a Japanese girl who made an experiment as part of her project to
> prove that the disposable chopsticks were unhealthy as well as being
> destructive to the forests. She placed one into a bowl of fish and the
> fish died, presumably because of the chemicals released from the
> treated wood.

Oh good grief.

Gerry

In article >, Musashi
> wrote:

> There are two basic "kinds" of waribashi used in Japanese
> restaurants. The cheaper kind does look like pine (or other wood) and
> is cut so that there are 4 sides. This is the type where sometimes
> one screws up and they break unevenly requiring a stealthy stretch
> over the the empty table next to you to grab another set. (see top-
> white birch waribashi) The other kind is bamboo. Although square at
> the top where the two hashi are joined, the rest of the chopsticks
> are each circular and are tapered at the end. This type is also
> fairly common especially in the better Japanese resaurants.

I'm surprised that the later (the good chopsticks) are bamboo. Seems it
would be more difficult to produce. Are they actually made from bamboo
pulp?

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, Musashi
> > wrote:
>
> > There are two basic "kinds" of waribashi used in Japanese
> > restaurants. The cheaper kind does look like pine (or other wood) and
> > is cut so that there are 4 sides. This is the type where sometimes
> > one screws up and they break unevenly requiring a stealthy stretch
> > over the the empty table next to you to grab another set. (see top-
> > white birch waribashi) The other kind is bamboo. Although square at
> > the top where the two hashi are joined, the rest of the chopsticks
> > are each circular and are tapered at the end. This type is also
> > fairly common especially in the better Japanese resaurants.

> I'm surprised that the later (the good chopsticks) are bamboo. Seems it
> would be more difficult to produce. Are they actually made from bamboo
> pulp?

Pulp as in....mashed up and reformed bamboo?
I don't think so because every bamboo chopstick I have ever broken
(yes I was not a quiet child) you could see spots, vertical strands.
I dont think you'd see this if it was pulp.

Musashi

.. .

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
American chopsticks notbob General Cooking 206 04-02-2009 02:58 AM
(2009-01-19) NS-RFC: Using chopsticks ChattyCathy General Cooking 134 23-01-2009 05:35 PM
Why do we still use chopsticks? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 199 25-04-2007 04:46 PM