FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   Does miso need refrigeration? (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/18060-does-miso-need-refrigeration.html)

werewolf 12-05-2004 03:28 AM

Does miso need refrigeration?

Musashi 12-05-2004 03:44 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

"werewolf" > wrote in message
om...

Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Dan Logcher 12-05-2004 03:52 PM

Musashi wrote:

> "werewolf" > wrote in message
> om...

> Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
happens.

--
Dan

Max 12-05-2004 04:07 PM

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Musashi wrote:
> >
> > Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> > However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> > in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

> Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
> after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
> happens.

"We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."

..max

--
the part of >
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Musashi 12-05-2004 04:26 PM

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > "werewolf" > wrote in message
> > om...

> > Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> > However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> > in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

> Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
> after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
> happens.
>
> --
> Dan

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years
and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite "nasty"
it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be completely
edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the advent
of
refrigeration. BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration
despite having egg in it.

Musashi 12-05-2004 04:27 PM

"Max" > wrote in message
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
> > Musashi wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> > > However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> > > in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

> > Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
> > after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
> > happens.

> "We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
> product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."
>
> .max

When I was in high school a friend of mine (American) used to spread miso on
his
toast. This freaked me out since I was only used to Miso being in soup.

Dan Logcher 12-05-2004 04:42 PM

Musashi wrote:

> There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
> various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
> I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
> years and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite "nasty"
> it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be completely
> edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the advent
> of refrigeration.

I've got a sample of miso thats been in my fridge for over a year.
I might give it a try and see how it tastes. It doesn't look like shiro miso
anymore.

> BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
> refrigeration despite having egg in it.

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

--
Dan

Musashi 12-05-2004 04:53 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> >

> > There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
> > various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to

eat.
> > I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
> > years and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite

"nasty"
> > it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be

completely
> > edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the

advent
> > of refrigeration.

> I've got a sample of miso thats been in my fridge for over a year.
> I might give it a try and see how it tastes. It doesn't look like shiro

miso
> anymore.

On the TV show they scraped off the outer "crust" as it was too hard-
dehydrated.
The Miso underneath it was fine. Suggest you do likewise.

> > BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
> > refrigeration despite having egg in it.

> That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
> quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

I can't remember if it was an opened jar or not.
But they had it sitting on a windowsill for 3 months.

Dan Logcher 12-05-2004 05:22 PM

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message

> On the TV show they scraped off the outer "crust" as it was too hard-
> dehydrated.
> The Miso underneath it was fine. Suggest you do likewise.

Thanks. I'll try that.

> I can't remember if it was an opened jar or not.
> But they had it sitting on a windowsill for 3 months.

Couldn't have been opened..

--
Dan

Graeme... in London 12-05-2004 06:07 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

> > BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
> > refrigeration despite having egg in it.

> That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
> quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan,

Mayonnaise will keep for a lot longer than 3 months unrefridgerated, even
opened. Its not the mayo that goes off, but normally a contaminated spoon or
knife that has scooped out the product. i.e. butter on knife, or spoon not
cleaned correctly. It's this cross contamination that kick starts the
chemical reaction. In the UK, mayonnaise is not sold refridgerated, but
stacked on shelves.

Saying that, I usually keep mine in the fridge once opened.

Graeme (too lazy to clean the damned knife)

Dan Logcher 12-05-2004 08:03 PM

Graeme... in London wrote:

>>That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
>>quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

> Mayonnaise will keep for a lot longer than 3 months unrefridgerated, even
> opened. Its not the mayo that goes off, but normally a contaminated spoon or
> knife that has scooped out the product. i.e. butter on knife, or spoon not
> cleaned correctly. It's this cross contamination that kick starts the
> chemical reaction. In the UK, mayonnaise is not sold refridgerated, but
> stacked on shelves.

They don't refridgerate pre-sold mayonaise in the US either. I have a jar
in the cabinet now. But I would never consider leaving it out after opening.
It's just asking for an illness.

> Saying that, I usually keep mine in the fridge once opened.

Same, and any mayo products too. I often mix a batch of spicy mayo
for sushi and put it in a squeeze bottle. I keep that handy in the
fridge door.

> Graeme (too lazy to clean the damned knife)

To scared to test your theory.

--
Dan

John Droge 12-05-2004 10:08 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

"Musashi" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> > Musashi wrote:
> >
> > > "werewolf" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > > Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> > > However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> > > in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

> > Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
> > after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
> > happens.
> >
> > --
> > Dan

> There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
> various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
> I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
> years

So there will be Miso AND Twinkies to eat after the appocalypse the post
doomsday Pacific Rim Cuisine!!
John

werewolf 13-05-2004 01:44 AM

Does miso need refrigeration?

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

Musashi wrote:

"There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that
tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to
eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some
many
years..."

Was that test for non-refrigerated products, Musashi?

They say that Indian ghee can last for many years unrefrigerated.

Also, where I live the desert temperatures get very very hot. Would
that effect the edible lifespan of these foods? But then it gets hot
in India too.

Christopher Browne 13-05-2004 03:46 AM

Does miso need refrigeration?

Oops! (werewolf) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened
> it needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible
> for more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression
> I get, anyway.

The last time I was part of a "mass poisoning" was when some pasta
salad went "off" a few years ago, and about 150 people got sick. I
wasn't impressed with mayo that week, I can assure you :-).
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/

Keith 13-05-2004 11:31 AM

Does miso need refrigeration?

That's a myth. Mayo can be stored unrefrigerated, as long as you don't
contaminate it. That means when you need some, dip out what you need once,
and don't stick that utensil back in the jar.

--

Keith
__

Dan Logcher 13-05-2004 03:17 PM

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Oops! (werewolf) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
>
>>Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened
>>it needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible
>>for more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression
>>I get, anyway.
>>

> The last time I was part of a "mass poisoning" was when some pasta
> salad went "off" a few years ago, and about 150 people got sick. I
> wasn't impressed with mayo that week, I can assure you :-).

I stay away from anything Mayo that it served outside of refrigeration.

Picnics are ripe for this, since the food is laid out ahead of time and
people keep going back throughout the day. And who knows who stick what
in the communal bowl?

--
Dan

Musashi 13-05-2004 04:06 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

"werewolf" > wrote in message
om...
> Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
> needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
> more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
> anyway.
>

> Musashi wrote:
>
> "There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that
> tested
> various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to
> eat.
> I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some
> many
> years..."
>

> Was that test for non-refrigerated products, Musashi?
>
> They say that Indian ghee can last for many years unrefrigerated.
>
> Also, where I live the desert temperatures get very very hot. Would
> that effect the edible lifespan of these foods? But then it gets hot
> in India too.

There were two programs (or maybe two parts of one program).
One definitely was unrefrigerated and contained the Miso and the Mayonaise.
The other was refrigerated stuff.
Unfortunately it was a while ago so I dont remember every detail.

Keith 13-05-2004 10:40 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

That's the key... it' the poor mayo that gets the blame, but it's the
mixture of all that stuff out in the sun that's actually the culprit.

--

Keith
__

Blair P. Houghton 17-05-2004 05:57 AM

Max > wrote:
>"We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
>product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."

They might not. I tried a small bit on a spoon the first time
I bought some, and it sure seemd to have a peanut-buttery sort of
thing going on.

--Blair
"A product of Phoenix."

Blair P. Houghton 17-05-2004 06:01 AM

Musashi > wrote:
>refrigeration. BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
>refrigeration
>despite having egg in it.

The small amount of egg is suspended in the huge amount of oil
(mayo is about 98% oil) which is a preservative*.

--Blair
"I'd refrigerate soda crackers if it'd work."

* - those bottles of veggies you see packaged as decorations
may be edible after decades. Except garlic; garlic can bring
botulin spores which are anaerobic and thrive in oil.

Blair P. Houghton 17-05-2004 06:04 AM

werewolf > wrote:
>Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
>needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
>more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
>anyway.

99 times out of a hundred, it's because someone didn't
wash their damn hands.

--Blair
"I got giardia once."

Dan Logcher 18-05-2004 02:56 PM

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> werewolf > wrote:
>
>>Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
>>needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
>>more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
>>anyway.
>>

> 99 times out of a hundred, it's because someone didn't
> wash their damn hands.

Who's putting their dirty hands in the mayonaise? Come on! Fess up!

--
Dan

Michael 18-05-2004 07:07 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

> > werewolf > wrote:
> >
> >>Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
> >>needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
> >>more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
> >>anyway.

Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated. It's the mixtures of
mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that go bad and send you to
the pottie.

Ken Blake 18-05-2004 11:43 PM

Does miso need refrigeration?

In ,
Michael > typed:

opened

that's

> Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated. It's

the
> mixtures of mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that

go bad
> and send you to the pottie.

All over Italy, you see tramezzini on display for sale in bars.
For those who don't know tramezzini, they are little half
sandwiches filled with a variety of things, (tuna, for example)
almost invariably prepared with mayonaisse. The tramezzini are
invariably put out on display in unrefrigerated cases in the
morning (sometimes even in the sun), and some of them stay there
all day.

I've never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from these.
I've even eaten them myself, sometimes several hours after they
were made, and never had a problem. I've never understand why
people don't often get sick eating them.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Blair P. Houghton 19-05-2004 05:48 AM

Michael > wrote:

>Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated.

I was going to disagree that it was acidic enough, then
I read this:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Mayonnaise.html

Commercial mayo uses pasteurized eggs to prevent
contamination and an acidity low enough to keep it
that way.

That explains why I like the store-bought better than the
mayo I make. I never think to add that much acid to mine,
and I miss the depth. Time to experiment.

I like the part where that paper talks about spoiled
mayo as still being safe because of pH. There's a whole
industry growing up around the concept of "safe spoilage."
I can't remember if we discussed it here or over in
rec.food.cooking or in sci.bio.food-science.

>It's the mixtures of
>mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that go bad and send you to
>the pottie.

I don't think the mayo is the culprit in any case.
That stuff about not leaving mayo-containing foods out
applies to all perishables.

--Blair
"Hey look! Raw fish!"

werewolf 24-05-2004 05:49 AM

Does miso need refrigeration?

"Storage

Storing the miso in the refrigerator at below 50 F will keep it
fresh and flavorful for a long time,
Its colour may turn a little red, but this has no effect on its
taste or nutritional value."

http://www.miyasaka-jozo.com/english/miso/recipes.htm

That's from the website whose address I found on my miso container.

ww

Dan Logcher 24-05-2004 03:25 PM

werewolf wrote:

> "Storage
>
> Storing the miso in the refrigerator at below 50 F will keep it
> fresh and flavorful for a long time,
> Its colour may turn a little red, but this has no effect on its
> taste or nutritional value."

To refresh my memory, what are the nutritional benefits of miso?
I know it has helpful enzymes and such.. just don't remember what
they are good for.

--
Dan

susyn153 17-08-2012 04:27 PM

I am testament to the fact that mayo doesn't need refrigeration once opened. I lived on my boat for 7 years (without refrigeration) in FLORIDA. Having said that, get a really small container or squeeze bottle (what I used), keep it clean (CLEAN) and pitch if it touches food in any way at all. Use clean hands or a papertowel to flip the cap and squeeze above the product. DO NOT leave in the sun, keep in a cool dark place (in this case my waterline-lower compartments) in a baggie-so crap doesn't get in it. One squeeze bottle lasted about 3 months for me alone, again SMALL bottle and never touch the top with dirty hands.
PS, my granma never refrigerated her mayo either but did use it up in about 3 months and always used a CLEAN spoon.
The food poisioning ALWAYS comes from the stuff you mix it with and the temp of the food ie 40-104 degrees F.
PSS. don't know if this works with some of the newer mayo's, always used a real mayo, eggs, oil, vinegar, salt. specifically helmans brand.
There are many many foods that don't need refrigeration once opened, the trick is to get squeeze bottles and keep em clean, cool and out of sunlight with as few temp fluctuations as possible. Jam and jelly is a good example of this, no need to refrigerate, just use a clean spoon or squeeze bottle. Use up in a couple of months. Mustard the same, ketchup, worshteshire sauce, tobasco, italian dressing (especially ones you make yourself) relish etc. The problem is when you get it dirty or you are changing the temp alot. Most condiments predate refrigeration but were made up to order so to speak, like mustard, and used within a week or so. Ketchup was canned in smallish jars and used up likewise as was jams and jellies, small jars, honey not only doesn';t need to be refrigerated but it wrecks it, olive oil and most nut oils don't like it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Browne (Post 108164)

jamchickx 26-09-2012 02:01 PM

So there will be Miso AND Twinkies to eat after the appocalypse the post
doomsday Pacific Rim Cuisine!!
John[/quote]

I have never tried Miso....but then I have never seen it on the normal supermarket shelves here in the UK, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place???

what other things can you use it for other than soup.....and no I don't fancy it on toast!!