Old 13-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Keith

Default Does miso need refrigeration?

That's a myth. Mayo can be stored unrefrigerated, as long as you don't
contaminate it. That means when you need some, dip out what you need once,
and don't stick that utensil back in the jar.

--

Keith
__
"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

Old 13-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Musashi

"werewolf" wrote in message
om...
Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

Musashi wrote:

"There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that
tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to
eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some
many
years..."

Was that test for non-refrigerated products, Musashi?

They say that Indian ghee can last for many years unrefrigerated.

Also, where I live the desert temperatures get very very hot. Would
that effect the edible lifespan of these foods? But then it gets hot
in India too.

There were two programs (or maybe two parts of one program).
One definitely was unrefrigerated and contained the Miso and the Mayonaise.
The other was refrigerated stuff.
Unfortunately it was a while ago so I dont remember every detail.

Old 13-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Keith

That's the key... it' the poor mayo that gets the blame, but it's the
mixture of all that stuff out in the sun that's actually the culprit.

--

Keith
__

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

Picnics are ripe for this, since the food is laid out ahead of time and
people keep going back throughout the day. And who knows who stick what
in the communal bowl?

Old 17-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Max wrote:
"We've secretly replaced their Skippy Peanut Butter with Honzukuri "a
product of japan" shiro miso! Shhh -- let's see if they notice..."

They might not. I tried a small bit on a spoon the first time
I bought some, and it sure seemd to have a peanut-buttery sort of
thing going on.

--Blair
"A product of Phoenix."

Old 17-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Musashi wrote:
refrigeration. BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration
despite having egg in it.

The small amount of egg is suspended in the huge amount of oil
(mayo is about 98% oil) which is a preservative*.

--Blair
"I'd refrigerate soda crackers if it'd work."

* - those bottles of veggies you see packaged as decorations
may be edible after decades. Except garlic; garlic can bring
botulin spores which are anaerobic and thrive in oil.
Old 17-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Blair P. Houghton

werewolf wrote:
Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

99 times out of a hundred, it's because someone didn't
wash their damn hands.

--Blair
"I got giardia once."
Old 18-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Dan Logcher

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

werewolf wrote:

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

99 times out of a hundred, it's because someone didn't
wash their damn hands.

Who's putting their dirty hands in the mayonaise? Come on! Fess up!

--
Dan

Old 18-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Michael

werewolf wrote:

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated. It's the mixtures of
mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that go bad and send you to
the pottie.

Old 18-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Michael typed:

werewolf wrote:

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's

opened
it needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be
responsible for more food poisoning than any other food -

that's
the impression I get, anyway.

Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated. It's

the
mixtures of mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that

go bad
and send you to the pottie.

All over Italy, you see tramezzini on display for sale in bars.
For those who don't know tramezzini, they are little half
sandwiches filled with a variety of things, (tuna, for example)
almost invariably prepared with mayonaisse. The tramezzini are
invariably put out on display in unrefrigerated cases in the
morning (sometimes even in the sun), and some of them stay there
all day.

I've never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from these.
I've even eaten them myself, sometimes several hours after they
were made, and never had a problem. I've never understand why
people don't often get sick eating them.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old 19-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Michael wrote:

werewolf wrote:

Mayo is also sold non-refrigerated in the US. But once it's opened it
needs to be refrigerated. I think that mayo might be responsible for
more food poisoning than any other food - that's the impression I get,
anyway.

Comercial mayo is too acidic to go bad unrefrigerated.

I was going to disagree that it was acidic enough, then
I read this:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Mayonnaise.html

Commercial mayo uses pasteurized eggs to prevent
contamination and an acidity low enough to keep it
that way.

That explains why I like the store-bought better than the
mayo I make. I never think to add that much acid to mine,
and I miss the depth. Time to experiment.

I like the part where that paper talks about spoiled
mayo as still being safe because of pH. There's a whole
industry growing up around the concept of "safe spoilage."
I can't remember if we discussed it here or over in
rec.food.cooking or in sci.bio.food-science.

It's the mixtures of
mayo and whatever (tuna, cabbage or the like) that go bad and send you to
the pottie.

I don't think the mayo is the culprit in any case.
That stuff about not leaving mayo-containing foods out
applies to all perishables.

--Blair
"Hey look! Raw fish!"
Old 24-05-2004, 05:49 AM
werewolf

"Storage

Storing the miso in the refrigerator at below 50 F will keep it
fresh and flavorful for a long time,
Its colour may turn a little red, but this has no effect on its
taste or nutritional value."

http://www.miyasaka-jozo.com/english/miso/recipes.htm

That's from the website whose address I found on my miso container.

ww
Old 24-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Dan Logcher

werewolf wrote:

"Storage

Storing the miso in the refrigerator at below 50 F will keep it
fresh and flavorful for a long time,
Its colour may turn a little red, but this has no effect on its
taste or nutritional value."

To refresh my memory, what are the nutritional benefits of miso?
I know it has helpful enzymes and such.. just don't remember what
they are good for.

--
Dan

Old 17-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Member

I am testament to the fact that mayo doesn't need refrigeration once opened. I lived on my boat for 7 years (without refrigeration) in FLORIDA. Having said that, get a really small container or squeeze bottle (what I used), keep it clean (CLEAN) and pitch if it touches food in any way at all. Use clean hands or a papertowel to flip the cap and squeeze above the product. DO NOT leave in the sun, keep in a cool dark place (in this case my waterline-lower compartments) in a baggie-so crap doesn't get in it. One squeeze bottle lasted about 3 months for me alone, again SMALL bottle and never touch the top with dirty hands.
PS, my granma never refrigerated her mayo either but did use it up in about 3 months and always used a CLEAN spoon.
The food poisioning ALWAYS comes from the stuff you mix it with and the temp of the food ie 40-104 degrees F.
PSS. don't know if this works with some of the newer mayo's, always used a real mayo, eggs, oil, vinegar, salt. specifically helmans brand.
There are many many foods that don't need refrigeration once opened, the trick is to get squeeze bottles and keep em clean, cool and out of sunlight with as few temp fluctuations as possible. Jam and jelly is a good example of this, no need to refrigerate, just use a clean spoon or squeeze bottle. Use up in a couple of months. Mustard the same, ketchup, worshteshire sauce, tobasco, italian dressing (especially ones you make yourself) relish etc. The problem is when you get it dirty or you are changing the temp alot. Most condiments predate refrigeration but were made up to order so to speak, like mustard, and used within a week or so. Ketchup was canned in smallish jars and used up likewise as was jams and jellies, small jars, honey not only doesn';t need to be refrigerated but it wrecks it, olive oil and most nut oils don't like it either.

Old 26-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Member

Location: North East England

So there will be Miso AND Twinkies to eat after the appocalypse the post
doomsday Pacific Rim Cuisine!!
John[/quote]

I have never tried Miso....but then I have never seen it on the normal supermarket shelves here in the UK, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place???

what other things can you use it for other than soup.....and no I don't fancy it on toast!!

refrigeration of starter Railfanner Sourdough 16 22-03-2008 11:47 AM
LG Refrigeration? Nartker Cooking Equipment 0 19-09-2005 10:21 PM
Refrigeration times Leo Bueno Wine 14 13-03-2005 11:37 AM
Does miso need refrigeration? werewolf Asian Cooking 10 24-05-2004 05:50 AM
Refrigeration? Frogleg Historic 49 14-02-2004 11:16 AM