Gerry

Default Tokyo - Places to do Sake Tasting

There's a great place in Kyoto (sorry the name escapes me), for sake
tasting. I've become a big fan in recent years. An Israeli guy, who
speaks perfect English, runs it. He has many sakes to try that I would
never find in the US and of such limited production I wouldn't know to
ask for it in Japan.

Is there a place similar in Tokyo others could recommend? First: a good
ambiance and plenty of interesting sakes to try. 2) Particularly with
knowledgeable English-speaking guides. 3) In tasting sets (small
glasses of 3 or more brands/typres) would be nice.

Number one above is the only critical item; the others are just bonuses.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
guren

Gerry wrote:
> Is there a place similar in Tokyo others could recommend? First: a good
> ambiance and plenty of interesting sakes to try. 2) Particularly with
> knowledgeable English-speaking guides. 3) In tasting sets (small
> glasses of 3 or more brands/typres) would be nice.

A good place to start is John Gauntner's sake web page:

http://www.sake-world.com/html/pub-guide.html

I've been to several places on his list and they all fulfill
criteria #1, but #2 and #3 are a bit problematic.

If you need an English-speaking guide, send me an email -
I happen to know someone who is a fluent English-speaker
and loves sake. :-)

glenn

Gerry

In article >, guren
> wrote:

> Gerry wrote:
> > Is there a place similar in Tokyo others could recommend? First: a good
> > ambiance and plenty of interesting sakes to try. 2) Particularly with
> > knowledgeable English-speaking guides. 3) In tasting sets (small
> > glasses of 3 or more brands/typres) would be nice.

> A good place to start is John Gauntner's sake web page:
>
> http://www.sake-world.com/html/pub-guide.html
>
> I've been to several places on his list and they all fulfill
> criteria #1, but #2 and #3 are a bit problematic.
>
> If you need an English-speaking guide, send me an email -
> I happen to know someone who is a fluent English-speaker
> and loves sake. :-)

Actually I'm reading Gauntner's "Sake Handbook" now. I check the site,
and drop you a line... Thanks!

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
wasabi

Gerry > wrote in message > ...
> There's a great place in Kyoto (sorry the name escapes me), for sake
> tasting. I've become a big fan in recent years. An Israeli guy, who
> speaks perfect English, runs it. He has many sakes to try that I would
> never find in the US and of such limited production I wouldn't know to
> ask for it in Japan.
>
> Is there a place similar in Tokyo others could recommend? First: a good
> ambiance and plenty of interesting sakes to try. 2) Particularly with
> knowledgeable English-speaking guides. 3) In tasting sets (small
> glasses of 3 or more brands/typres) would be nice.
>
> Number one above is the only critical item; the others are just bonuses.

There are sooo many good bars in Tokyo that you don't need any
recommendation. Just walk around the neighborhood you find yourself
in (except for Kabukicho)and walk into one of those places with a red
lantern and ask for nihonshuu. (Most of the better places don't have
red lanterns.) As for ambiance you can get everything from a Frank
Lloyd Wright designed bar in the Imperial Hotel to ultra-chic theme
bars in Aoyama and Shibuya to Meiji era rustic bars in Iidabashi.
However, very few bartenders speak English so you should hook up with
a Japanese speaking friend as soon as possible and go bar hopping with
him/her. It'll be funner. The best part about Tokyo is making your
own discoveries (kind of like a Nintendo game).

If you're close to Yurakucho eki (next to Ginza), try one of those
yakitori places under the train tracks.
SuperOutland

Japs drink sake?

When i came home from japan tot ell how much fun i had drinking, my
parents asked if i had any sake, and i told them i dont think japs
drink sake!

Gerry

In article >, wasabi
> wrote:

> > There's a great place in Kyoto (sorry the name escapes me), for sake
> > tasting. I've become a big fan in recent years. An Israeli guy, who
> > speaks perfect English, runs it. He has many sakes to try that I would
> > never find in the US and of such limited production I wouldn't know to
> > ask for it in Japan.
> >
> > Is there a place similar in Tokyo others could recommend? First: a good
> > ambiance and plenty of interesting sakes to try. 2) Particularly with
> > knowledgeable English-speaking guides. 3) In tasting sets (small
> > glasses of 3 or more brands/typres) would be nice.
> >
> > Number one above is the only critical item; the others are just bonuses.

> There are sooo many good bars in Tokyo that you don't need any
> recommendation.

Oh I know. I've enjoyed many bars there. But I was specifically
speaking of bars that specialize in sake and have people knowledgeable
on the topic.

> Just walk around the neighborhood you find yourself
> in (except for Kabukicho)and walk into one of those places with a red
> lantern and ask for nihonshuu. (Most of the better places don't have
> red lanterns.) As for ambiance you can get everything from a Frank
> Lloyd Wright designed bar in the Imperial Hotel to ultra-chic theme
> bars in Aoyama and Shibuya to Meiji era rustic bars in Iidabashi.
> However, very few bartenders speak English so you should hook up with
> a Japanese speaking friend as soon as possible and go bar hopping with
> him/her. It'll be funner. The best part about Tokyo is making your
> own discoveries (kind of like a Nintendo game).

Agreed.

> If you're close to Yurakucho eki (next to Ginza), try one of those
> yakitori places under the train tracks.

Duly noted.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Musashi

"SuperOutland" > wrote in message
om...
> Japs drink sake?
>
> When i came home from japan tot ell how much fun i had drinking, my
> parents asked if i had any sake, and i told them i dont think japs
> drink sake!

Matt will you please leave and take your stupid trolling back where it
belongs?
This is a civilized newsgroup.

SuperOutland

Its not trolling, its fact! japanese drink the beers and whiskeys
but no sake to ape americans! i dont control japanese tendencies so
dont blame me for this

You seem to like japanese food but i haven heard you go on about
french food like any fat pseudo-westerner would. YOu are probably
ostracized or made fun of behind your back by your fellow
pseudo-westerners for liking jap food better than french.
Gerry

In article >,
SuperOutland > wrote:

> Its not trolling, its fact! japanese drink the beers and whiskeys
> but no sake to ape americans! i dont control japanese tendencies so
> dont blame me for this

I don't know the ng well enough. Is it only trolling you do here?
Japanese drink far more sake than Unitedstatesian do. The idea of
Japanese drinking sake to "ape Americans"--well hell that's about as
twisted as twisted gets.

> You seem to like japanese food but i haven heard you go on about
> french food like any fat pseudo-westerner would. YOu are probably
> ostracized or made fun of behind your back by your fellow
> pseudo-westerners for liking jap food better than french.

Man, you have some rea social problems. The implication is that the
wrath of Unitedstatesian pseudo-westerners. Jeez, I doin't know what
the hell you're trying to insult. I guess it doesn't really matter, as
long as you're vaguel insulting, no?

Wouldn't just saying "**** you!" repeatedly be easier and quicker?

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Louise Bremner

Gerry > wrote:

> Wouldn't just saying "**** you!" repeatedly be easier and quicker?

A well-cultivated kill-file would, in the long run.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!