Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Geoduck sashimi

Yummy!
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:
> Yummy!

For me, its ok. A bit of a fishy flavor, but good texture.
And its not like I don't like strong flavored fish, just not
the fishy flavor. I'm also not a big fan of rawcherrystones,
but I love oysters.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Nov 9, 9:46*am, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> James wrote:
> > Yummy!

> For me, its ok. *A bit of a fishy flavor, but good texture.
> And its not like I don't like strong flavored fish, just not
> the fishy flavor. *I'm also not a big fan of rawcherrystones,
> but I love oysters.
>
> --
> Dan

It didn't taste fishy to me and I like the crisp texture.

Some clams don't agree with me but others are OK. I like Chesapeake
oysters better than others.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:

> On Nov 9, 9:46 am, Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>James wrote:
>>
>>>Yummy!

>>For me, its ok. A bit of a fishy flavor, but good texture.
>>And its not like I don't like strong flavored fish, just not
>>the fishy flavor. I'm also not a big fan of rawcherrystones,
>>but I love oysters.
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> It didn't taste fishy to me and I like the crisp texture.

I've had it several times and the fishiness is sometimes only slight.
But for the most part its beenmore pronounced. I do like the crisp texture
as well.. if it were given free, I will eat it. but its not usually.

> Some clams don't agree with me but others are OK. I like Chesapeake
> oysters better than others.

I much prefer East coast oysters to anything from the West coast. My taste
varies, but I've had some great ones from Martha Vineyard and Wellfleet.
PEI are ok, but not the best..

In terms of sushi clams, I really like most all of them. Geoduck is one of
the few that I'm iffy with.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mirugai is one of the great pleasures in life, unfortunately it's been years
since I've had it as it's not generally found at Wisconsin sushi bars. Love
that crunchy texture and mildly sweet flavor. More flavor than octopus, in
my book. But then, I tend to like sashimi with a more assertive flavor
profile.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past KLC Lewis posted this:
> Mirugai is one of the great pleasures in life, unfortunately it's been years
> since I've had it as it's not generally found at Wisconsin sushi bars. Love
> that crunchy texture and mildly sweet flavor. More flavor than octopus, in
> my book. But then, I tend to like sashimi with a more assertive flavor
> profile.

I keep asking for it, but it's never on hand when I go. I like Cherrystones
and Oysters, especially cold water Oysters. Finally tried the edamame and
found them to be very tasty and the serving size served two easily. I grew
some once, but didn't really know what to do with them - now I do ;-)

Not sushi, but did have a nice soft-shelled crab sandwich yesterday served
on a sour dough bun with a bit of hot spicy slaw on it. Delish! Great little
micro brewery in Hallowell, ME called 'The Liberal Cup.'

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:49:20 -0500:

> Finally tried the edamame and found them to be very tasty and the
> serving size served two easily. I grew some once, but
> didn't really know what to do with them - now I do ;-)

When we moved to my present address, there were fields of edamame
growing around the area. Unfortunately, I never tried them until much
later.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:

> Not sushi, but did have a nice soft-shelled crab sandwich yesterday
> served on a sour dough bun with a bit of hot spicy slaw on it. Delish!
> Great little micro brewery in Hallowell, ME called 'The Liberal Cup.'

Sounds awesome! I had this once, but I think it was an open-faced
sandwich.. and not on sour dough which I love!

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:46:19 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> James wrote:
> > Yummy!

> For me, its ok. A bit of a fishy flavor, but good texture.
> And its not like I don't like strong flavored fish, just not
> the fishy flavor.

Mirugai?

I love mirugai, but it's hard to find here in Tucson. It's expensive,
and lots of people don't like it, so most sushi bars don't carry it.

About 30 years ago in Tokyo, I had a salad of Mirugai and grapefruit.
Probably very untraditional with the grapefruit, but to my taste it
was wonderful.

> I'm also not a big fan of rawcherrystones,
> but I love oysters.

Interesting. Like you, I like raw oysters far better than raw clams.
In fact I *love* raw oysters, but almost the only raw clam I like is
mirugai.

And while we're on the subject of molluscs, my favorite is
octopus--not only the Japanese tako, but cooked octopus in Italy,
France, Spain, Mexico, etc. In fact, octopus is probably my favorite
kind of meat.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> I keep asking for it, but it's never on hand when I go. I like
> Cherrystones and Oysters, especially cold water Oysters. Finally tried the
> edamame and found them to be very tasty and the serving size served two
> easily. I grew some once, but didn't really know what to do with them -
> now I do ;-)
>
> Not sushi, but did have a nice soft-shelled crab sandwich yesterday served
> on a sour dough bun with a bit of hot spicy slaw on it. Delish! Great
> little micro brewery in Hallowell, ME called 'The Liberal Cup.'
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

I love edamame, too. "Japanese Peanuts," as I call them to myself. With a
nice cold beer, they do down a treat!

The soft-shell crab sandwich sounds yummy. Hard to find those around here,
too. The last one I had was far from "velvet," and was full of hard bits
that made it inedible. But "Spider Roll" is very popular at my nearest good
sushi restaurant, a mere 60 miles way, and they do a great job with it.
Oddly, I never see raw oysters or clams there. Have to go to the Red
Lubester instead.

KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC Lewis wrote:

> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>
>>I keep asking for it, but it's never on hand when I go. I like
>>Cherrystones and Oysters, especially cold water Oysters. Finally tried the
>>edamame and found them to be very tasty and the serving size served two
>>easily. I grew some once, but didn't really know what to do with them -
>>now I do ;-)
>>
>>Not sushi, but did have a nice soft-shelled crab sandwich yesterday served
>>on a sour dough bun with a bit of hot spicy slaw on it. Delish! Great
>>little micro brewery in Hallowell, ME called 'The Liberal Cup.'
>>
>>--
>>Wilson 44.69, -67.3

> I love edamame, too. "Japanese Peanuts," as I call them to myself. With a
> nice cold beer, they do down a treat!
>
> The soft-shell crab sandwich sounds yummy. Hard to find those around here,
> too. The last one I had was far from "velvet," and was full of hard bits
> that made it inedible. But "Spider Roll" is very popular at my nearest good
> sushi restaurant, a mere 60 miles way, and they do a great job with it.
> Oddly, I never see raw oysters or clams there. Have to go to the Red
> Lubester instead.

Yeah I wouldn't expect to find oysters that far from a coast unless there's
a special reason. They can always fly in oysters if there's a draw for them.
But its probably harder to get the draw when you don't have them around to
begin with.

I guess we're lucky on the East and West coast (more so on the East

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Apparently it was KLC Lewis that wrote:

> I love edamame, too. "Japanese Peanuts," as I call them to myself. With
> a nice cold beer, they do down a treat!

Actually "Japanese peanuts" are incomparable. We absolutely love them.
They are different from the regular American peanut that is either
redskin, Planter's-roasted, or any other approach to that peanut.

It's a little smaller a little longer than wider, and a little harder.
We ate the every night in a bar, Bacchus, in Morioka one week, before
searching out great restaurants. When we left they gave us a bag of
them with a ribbon. We gave them a little box of See chocolates. Now
we're related!

I see "Japanese peanuts" listed online and they are covered with a
candy or soy-flavored coated shell or some shit--that has nothing to do
with the peanuts we had.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

There is a sushi spot called Sagami in Collingswood NJ (Philly/So
Jersey area) that serves the single best mirugai dish I have ever
eaten. It is listed as an appetizer special, but they always have. It
is simply 1/2 dozen pieces extremely fresh, thinly sliced, but not
paper thin, geoduck marinated in ponzu. The crunch, the briny flavor,
and the citrus of the ponzu are an amazing flavor combo.

Oysters over most clams any day. I'm partial to Gulf, FLA &
Chesapeake oysters.
Can't tolerate little neck, cherrystone or Manila clams.
Strangely, love steamer clams (cooked), and geoduck and most raw clams
used in sushi.

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:07:34 -0700, Ken Blake
> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:46:19 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:
>
>> James wrote:
>> > Yummy!

>> For me, its ok. A bit of a fishy flavor, but good texture.
>> And its not like I don't like strong flavored fish, just not
>> the fishy flavor.

>Mirugai?
>
>I love mirugai, but it's hard to find here in Tucson. It's expensive,
>and lots of people don't like it, so most sushi bars don't carry it.
>
>About 30 years ago in Tokyo, I had a salad of Mirugai and grapefruit.
>Probably very untraditional with the grapefruit, but to my taste it
>was wonderful.
>

>> I'm also not a big fan of rawcherrystones,
>> but I love oysters.

>Interesting. Like you, I like raw oysters far better than raw clams.
>In fact I *love* raw oysters, but almost the only raw clam I like is
>mirugai.
>
>And while we're on the subject of molluscs, my favorite is
>octopus--not only the Japanese tako, but cooked octopus in Italy,
>France, Spain, Mexico, etc. In fact, octopus is probably my favorite
>kind of meat.

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"KLC Lewis" > wrote in message
news
> "Wilson" > wrote in message

much snippy

> The soft-shell crab sandwich sounds yummy. Hard to find those around here,
> too. The last one I had was far from "velvet," and was full of hard bits
> that made it inedible. But "Spider Roll" is very popular at my nearest
> good sushi restaurant, a mere 60 miles way, and they do a great job with
> it. Oddly, I never see raw oysters or clams there. Have to go to the Red
> Lubester instead.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the TC area in Minnesota and we've had a
couple of really good sushi / hibachi places open up in the SE area in the
last year. Might be worth a road trip if you're close enough.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Ed Regal" > wrote in message
..

> Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the TC area in Minnesota and we've had
> a couple of really good sushi / hibachi places open up in the SE area in
> the last year. Might be worth a road trip if you're close enough.
>
> Ed

Just north of Green Bay. I understand that Origami downtown in Minnie is
supposed to be excellent. Used to drive a big truck through there often, but
couldn't stop. I have road trips in my mind... lol

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"KLC Lewis" > wrote in message
et...

> "Ed Regal" > wrote in message
> .

snip

> Just north of Green Bay. I understand that Origami downtown in Minnie is
> supposed to be excellent. Used to drive a big truck through there often,
> but couldn't stop. I have road trips in my mind... lol

OK then - Eagan, Apple Valley, Bloomington area:

Apple Valley:
Kami (http://www.kamifinedine.com/ ),
Ronin (http://ronincafe.com/aboutus.aspx ),
Osaka (http://www.osakaseafoodsteakhouse.com/)

Eagan:
Kyoto (no web site) 651-994-8880

Bloomington:
Sawa (http://sawajapanmn.com/ )
Tiger Sushi (http://www.tigersushiusa.com/ ) Mall of America and new place
in Minneapolis

and there are more...

Ed

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Ed Regal" > wrote in message
> OK then - Eagan, Apple Valley, Bloomington area:
>
> Apple Valley:
> Kami (http://www.kamifinedine.com/ ),
> Ronin (http://ronincafe.com/aboutus.aspx ),
> Osaka (http://www.osakaseafoodsteakhouse.com/)
>
> Eagan:
> Kyoto (no web site) 651-994-8880
>
> Bloomington:
> Sawa (http://sawajapanmn.com/ )
> Tiger Sushi (http://www.tigersushiusa.com/ ) Mall of America and new
> place in Minneapolis
>
> and there are more...
>
> Ed

Cool, thanks! When we lived in California, I had a favorite sushi bar that I
frequented two or more times per week, and they used to make very special
dishes for me. Free Japanese lessons to boot. I soooooo miss it. Which of
these do you recommend? Remember that it's a solid 6-7 hour drive for me to
get there, so it has to be worth the trip. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-11-11 20:19:10 -0800, "KLC Lewis" > said:

> I had a favorite sushi bar that I frequented two or more times per
> week, and they used to make very special dishes for me.

Interesting. The name and location?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

At the time, it was "Tsunami" at the Marina Pacifica mall area, by West
Marine and Mimi's Cafe. This was some 6 or more years ago. We returned for a
visit a couple or few years ago and it had changed. My itamae was gone, as
was anyone else I knew. Koi in Seal Beach was better, but also more
expensive and I didn't have the personal relationship with them.

--

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> On 2009-11-11 20:19:10 -0800, "KLC Lewis" > said:
>
>> I had a favorite sushi bar that I frequented two or more times per week,
>> and they used to make very special dishes for me.

> Interesting. The name and location?
> --
> Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"KLC Lewis" > wrote in message

> "Ed Regal" > wrote in message
>> OK then - Eagan, Apple Valley, Bloomington area:
>>
>> Apple Valley:
>> Kami (http://www.kamifinedine.com/ ),
>> Ronin (http://ronincafe.com/aboutus.aspx ),
>> Osaka (http://www.osakaseafoodsteakhouse.com/)
>>
>> Eagan:
>> Kyoto (no web site) 651-994-8880
>>
>> Bloomington:
>> Sawa (http://sawajapanmn.com/ )
>> Tiger Sushi (http://www.tigersushiusa.com/ ) Mall of America and new
>> place in Minneapolis
>>
>> and there are more...
>>
>> Ed

> Cool, thanks! When we lived in California, I had a favorite sushi bar that
> I frequented two or more times per week, and they used to make very
> special dishes for me. Free Japanese lessons to boot. I soooooo miss it.
> Which of these do you recommend? Remember that it's a solid 6-7 hour drive
> for me to get there, so it has to be worth the trip. ;-)

Well, of the bunch I listed, I would say that Osaka and Sawa have been the
best for me. Osaka is off Cedar Ave (Hwy 77, south of I35E) in a shopping
center, decent parking - has sushi bar, sit down dining, and teppanyaki for
lunch too. Sawa is just off I-494 and Penn Ave. in a separate building at
one end of a shopping mall, good parking. Sushi bar, sit down area, lunch
teppanyaki too. I would give Sawa a little bit higher of a recommendation
but they are really close.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Ed Regal" > wrote in message
> Well, of the bunch I listed, I would say that Osaka and Sawa have been the
> best for me. Osaka is off Cedar Ave (Hwy 77, south of I35E) in a shopping
> center, decent parking - has sushi bar, sit down dining, and teppanyaki
> for lunch too. Sawa is just off I-494 and Penn Ave. in a separate
> building at one end of a shopping mall, good parking. Sushi bar, sit down
> area, lunch teppanyaki too. I would give Sawa a little bit higher of a
> recommendation but they are really close.
>
> Ed

Thanks for the recommendations, Ed. I saved the message to my desktop, and
will use it when I can make a trip to the Twin Cities.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Nov 9, 8:46*am, James > wrote:
> Yummy!

I saw a show, may have been Dirty Jobs, about harvesting them. Hard
work and dirty. This was a farm in the water where they grew them.
Very interesting. Have never seen them here on the east coast, but if
I ever do......be sure I will try them. They said they are called
'gooeyducks'.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Nov 9, 8:46*am, James > wrote:
> Yummy!

Mirugai is wonderful provided it is fresh and you enjoy the firm near
"crunchy" texture
also found in abalone and a few other shellfish. On the other hand,
mirigai that is not
fresh can be pretty awful, so I put it in he same league as Uni when
it comes to absolute
freshness being required.
Being indigenous to the North American pacific northwest, back in the
60s/70s I don't recall
ever seeing Mirugai as sashimi or sushineta, only Akagai (ark shell)
and Torigai.
I didn't see Hokkigai (Arctic clam) another Canadian export product
back then either.

Musashi
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> On Nov 9, 8:46 am, James > wrote:
>
>>Yummy!

> Mirugai is wonderful provided it is fresh and you enjoy the firm near
> "crunchy" texture
> also found in abalone and a few other shellfish. On the other hand,
> mirigai that is not
> fresh can be pretty awful, so I put it in he same league as Uni when
> it comes to absolute
> freshness being required.
> Being indigenous to the North American pacific northwest, back in the
> 60s/70s I don't recall
> ever seeing Mirugai as sashimi or sushineta, only Akagai (ark shell)
> and Torigai.
> I didn't see Hokkigai (Arctic clam) another Canadian export product
> back then either.

My only problem with Mirugai sushi is that its hard to take a bite,
so I have to stuff the whole piece in my mouth.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:42:29 -0800 (PST), Musashi
> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 8:46*am, James > wrote:
> > Yummy!

> Mirugai is wonderful provided it is fresh and you enjoy the firm near
> "crunchy" texture
> also found in abalone and a few other shellfish. On the other hand,
> mirigai that is not
> fresh can be pretty awful, so I put it in he same league as Uni when
> it comes to absolute
> freshness being required.
> Being indigenous to the North American pacific northwest, back in the
> 60s/70s I don't recall
> ever seeing Mirugai as sashimi or sushineta, only Akagai (ark shell)
> and Torigai.

Mirugai and torigai are very different (torigai is much more tender)
but both are among my favorites.

Alas, neither is hardly ever available here in Tucson.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:42:33 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> My only problem with Mirugai sushi is that its hard to take a bite,
> so I have to stuff the whole piece in my mouth.

I've said this here before, but not recently, so I'll repeat it: very
often in the US, in my view the neta on nigiri is made considerably
too large, so that it doesn't fit into the mouth and you have to
either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its falling apart
(regardless of whether it's mirugai or something else).

That's one of the big problems with oversized nigiri; the other two
problems are the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability to have
as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one meal. So I am in
favor of small enough pieces of neta to easily fit the entire nigiri
into the mouth at once. As far as I know, those smaller pieces are
much more traditional than the big ones.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:42:33 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>My only problem with Mirugai sushi is that its hard to take a bite,
>>so I have to stuff the whole piece in my mouth.

> I've said this here before, but not recently, so I'll repeat it: very
> often in the US, in my view the neta on nigiri is made considerably
> too large, so that it doesn't fit into the mouth and you have to
> either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its falling apart
> (regardless of whether it's mirugai or something else).
>
> That's one of the big problems with oversized nigiri; the other two
> problems are the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability to have
> as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one meal. So I am in
> favor of small enough pieces of neta to easily fit the entire nigiri
> into the mouth at once. As far as I know, those smaller pieces are
> much more traditional than the big ones.

Its not even if its over-sized in this case.. I can't always bite mirugai
unless its been well scored before serving. I sometimes have the same issue
with ika.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:42:33 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>> My only problem with Mirugai sushi is that its hard to take a bite,
>> so I have to stuff the whole piece in my mouth.

> I've said this here before, but not recently, so I'll repeat it: very
> often in the US, in my view the neta on nigiri is made considerably
> too large, so that it doesn't fit into the mouth and you have to
> either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its falling apart
> (regardless of whether it's mirugai or something else).
>
> That's one of the big problems with oversized nigiri; the other two
> problems are the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability to have
> as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one meal. So I am in
> favor of small enough pieces of neta to easily fit the entire nigiri
> into the mouth at once. As far as I know, those smaller pieces are
> much more traditional than the big ones.

Pardon my lack of personal experience in Japan, but from what I've seen on
TV, they have some fairly good sized nigiri too. Taken in one bite, the
eaters cheeks puff out, so obviously it's a mouthful. That's just my
observation. I will bite it in two if I choose (and, as Dan says, if I can)
despite traditional conventions.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-11-18 10:08:41 -0800, Wilson > said:

> Pardon my lack of personal experience in Japan, but from what I've seen
> on TV, they have some fairly good sized nigiri too. Taken in one bite,
> the eaters cheeks puff out, so obviously it's a mouthful. That's just
> my observation. I will bite it in two if I choose (and, as Dan says, if
> I can) despite traditional conventions.

I think that whether in Japan or in the US, the size of a portion is
subject to individual preference. I've had nigiri in both places, and
in many sites in each and found no consistent size marker. I have,
though, found the largest and most cumbersome in the US.

Perhaps those dining on TV were petite young ladies who would have had
problems with an "average sized" piece of sushi (whatever that might
be).

I also have only seen a particularly feature in the US: a quite small
rice block (about the size of a finger but maybe under 2 inches long,
on top of which there is a piece of fish draping over the far ends by
half inch or more and sometimes an all four sides by as much. It's
wierd. Loyalists considered it good because there was so much fish per
piece, in theory.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:10:14 -0800, Gerry >
wrote:

> I think that whether in Japan or in the US, the size of a portion is
> subject to individual preference. I've had nigiri in both places, and
> in many sites in each and found no consistent size marker.

Yes, there's always variation from place to place.

> I have,
> though, found the largest and most cumbersome in the US.

Yes, that was really all I meant.

> I also have only seen a particularly feature in the US: a quite small
> rice block (about the size of a finger but maybe under 2 inches long,
> on top of which there is a piece of fish draping over the far ends by
> half inch or more and sometimes an all four sides by as much. It's
> wierd. Loyalists considered it good because there was so much fish per
> piece, in theory.

That's the stuff that drives me crazy. Yes, you get more for your
money that way, but I have my three objections to it: you have to
either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its falling apart, the
wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability to have as many different
kinds of nigiri as I want at one meal.

I would much rather have half as much fish on one of those rice
blocks, even if I had to pay somewhat more than half the amount per
piece.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken wrote on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:22:05 -0700:

>> I think that whether in Japan or in the US, the size of a
>> portion is subject to individual preference. I've had nigiri
>> in both places, and in many sites in each and found no
>> consistent size marker.

> Yes, there's always variation from place to place.

>> I have,
>> though, found the largest and most cumbersome in the US.

> Yes, that was really all I meant.

>> I also have only seen a particularly feature in the US: a quite
>> small rice block (about the size of a finger but maybe under
>> 2 inches long, on top of which there is a piece of fish
>> draping over the far ends by half inch or more and sometimes
>> an all four sides by as much. It's wierd. Loyalists
>> considered it good because there was so much fish per piece,
>> in theory.

> That's the stuff that drives me crazy. Yes, you get more for
> your money that way, but I have my three objections to it: you
> have to either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its
> falling apart, the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability
> to have as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one
> meal.

> I would much rather have half as much fish on one of those
> rice blocks, even if I had to pay somewhat more than half the
> amount per piece.

I know sushi was originally finger food and you could hold a piece with
your fingers while biting off a mouthful. I also know that large
helpings look good but I prefer to use chopsticks and I find it hard to
bite off a piece while holding a helping with them. Chewy things like
octopus are particularly difficult.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:51:37 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Ken wrote on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:22:05 -0700:
>
> >> I think that whether in Japan or in the US, the size of a
> >> portion is subject to individual preference. I've had nigiri
> >> in both places, and in many sites in each and found no
> >> consistent size marker.

> > Yes, there's always variation from place to place.

> >> I have,
> >> though, found the largest and most cumbersome in the US.

> > Yes, that was really all I meant.

> >> I also have only seen a particularly feature in the US: a quite
> >> small rice block (about the size of a finger but maybe under
> >> 2 inches long, on top of which there is a piece of fish
> >> draping over the far ends by half inch or more and sometimes
> >> an all four sides by as much. It's wierd. Loyalists
> >> considered it good because there was so much fish per piece,
> >> in theory.

> > That's the stuff that drives me crazy. Yes, you get more for
> > your money that way, but I have my three objections to it: you
> > have to either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its
> > falling apart, the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability
> > to have as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one
> > meal.

> > I would much rather have half as much fish on one of those
> > rice blocks, even if I had to pay somewhat more than half the
> > amount per piece.

> I know sushi was originally finger food and you could hold a piece with
> your fingers while biting off a mouthful. I also know that large
> helpings look good but I prefer to use chopsticks and I find it hard to
> bite off a piece while holding a helping with them. Chewy things like
> octopus are particularly difficult.

I'm with you. Even now many people eat sushi with their fingers, and
from a manners standpoint either that or chopsticks is OK. But I too
prefer chopsticks; I dislike eating almost anything with my fingers
unless it's the kind of thing unlikely to dirty my fingers.

So I dislike biting off pieces too.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-11-19 14:16:38 -0800, Ken Blake
> said:

> I'm with you. Even now many people eat sushi with their fingers, and
> from a manners standpoint either that or chopsticks is OK. But I too
> prefer chopsticks; I dislike eating almost anything with my fingers
> unless it's the kind of thing unlikely to dirty my fingers.
>
> So I dislike biting off pieces too.

I'm with both of you, too. I prefer chopsticks, so the sushi unit
should be appropriately configured for handling with chopsticks and
putting in my mouth with one, even one large, bite. It hits that marek
90% of the time. But then I don't stumble into unknown sushi bars
anymore the way I use to 10 years ago. Particularly when out of the
SoCal area.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Nov 18, 1:08*pm, Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:
>

> > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:42:33 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >> My only problem with Mirugai sushi is that its hard to take a bite,
> >> so I have to stuff the whole piece in my mouth.

> > I've said this here before, but not recently, so I'll repeat it: very
> > often in the US, in my view the neta on nigiri is made considerably
> > too large, so that it doesn't fit into the mouth and you have to
> > either stuff your mouth, or bite it and risk its falling apart
> > (regardless of whether it's mirugai or something else).

> > That's one of the big problems with oversized nigiri; the other two
> > problems are the wrong fish-to-rice ratio, and the inability to have
> > as many different kinds of nigiri as I want at one meal. So I am in
> > favor of small enough pieces of neta to easily fit the entire nigiri
> > into the mouth at once. As far as I know, those smaller pieces are
> > much more traditional than the big ones.

> Pardon my lack of personal experience in Japan, but from what I've seen on
> TV, they have some fairly good sized nigiri too. Taken in one bite, the
> eaters cheeks puff out, so obviously it's a mouthful. That's just my
> observation. I will bite it in two if I choose (and, as Dan says, if I can)
> despite traditional conventions.
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3- Hide quoted text -

In Japan you will find both "small" and "large". Rarely do you find
"large" in traditional sushiyas.
I have run into "large" in several of the Kaiten zushi chains. I find
that more places serve "large"
in general in the United States, with the exception of high-end
established restuarants,
Originally when edomae zushi was popular in 19th century Tokyo the
pieces were even larger,
3-4 times the typical nigirizushi today. It would have been impossible
to eat this with chopsticks unless
one were to break it apart. They were always served in pairs, a custom
which remains to this day despite
the smaller pieces. The variety of neta was limited compared to today
so it was more of a quick full meal
rather than a chance to sample a wide selection as it is today, which
along with the appreciation of each
individual neta, is why a "small" portion of rice in relation to the
neta is considered "correct and proper".
Musashi
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:17:53 -0800 (PST), Musashi
> wrote:

> In Japan you will find both "small" and "large". Rarely do you find
> "large" in traditional sushiyas.
> I have run into "large" in several of the Kaiten zushi chains. I find
> that more places serve "large"
> in general in the United States, with the exception of high-end
> established restuarants,
> Originally when edomae zushi was popular in 19th century Tokyo the
> pieces were even larger,
> 3-4 times the typical nigirizushi today. It would have been impossible
> to eat this with chopsticks unless
> one were to break it apart. They were always served in pairs, a custom
> which remains to this day despite
> the smaller pieces. The variety of neta was limited compared to today
> so it was more of a quick full meal
> rather than a chance to sample a wide selection as it is today, which
> along with the appreciation of each
> individual neta, is why a "small" portion of rice in relation to the
> neta is considered "correct and proper".

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you were going to reply to this
thread with your knowledge.