Chef!

Default what is it with the Japanese attitude to this kind of food?!?

shocking news report http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

don't they have enough of other things to eat, whilst two thirds of this
earth's population are in food shortage crisis?

JohnW

"Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:

> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper? or because there is *GASP*
blood? Usually when an animal is butchered, there is blood. The fact that
it is done in a cove (very small area), makes it appear to be a SEA of
BLOOD (how very spectacular).

I wonder what it tastes like.
shadow self

"JohnW" > wrote in message
> "Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
> @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:
>
> > http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

> Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper?

Something that is NOT shocking: once again, the U.S. is sticking its nose in
where it is not invited.

Musashi

"JohnW" > wrote in message
> "Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
> @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:
>
> > http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

> Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper? or because there is *GASP*
> blood? Usually when an animal is butchered, there is blood. The fact

that
> it is done in a cove (very small area), makes it appear to be a SEA of
> BLOOD (how very spectacular).
>
> I wonder what it tastes like.

The subject line is offensive to Japanese people.
One could just as easily say "what it is with the American attitude to this
kind of food?
http://www.ca4a.org/info/slaughterhouse/

In anycase, animals are slaughtered all over the world.
Eating animals crosses all cultural boundaries.
The original poster is a mental retard.

Gerry

In article >, shadow self
> wrote:

> > Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper?

> Something that is NOT shocking: once again, the U.S. is sticking its nose in
> where it is not invited.

Environmental, humanitarian and vegetarian groups are not affiliated
with any one nation.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.

Tea

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "JohnW" > wrote in message
> > "Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
> > @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:
> >
> > > http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

> > Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper? or because there is *GASP*
> > blood? Usually when an animal is butchered, there is blood. The fact

> that
> > it is done in a cove (very small area), makes it appear to be a SEA of
> > BLOOD (how very spectacular).
> >
> > I wonder what it tastes like.

> The subject line is offensive to Japanese people.
> One could just as easily say "what it is with the American attitude to

this
> kind of food?
> http://www.ca4a.org/info/slaughterhouse/
>
> In anycase, animals are slaughtered all over the world.
> Eating animals crosses all cultural boundaries.
> The original poster is a mental retard.

While I think eating dolphin is pretty awful (I feel the same way about
eating dogs, horses, monkeys, cats, and other animals with higher reasoning
ability) I agree that the first poster's statement is offensive.
I live in the US. Lots of us here eat pig. However, many Americans don't-
there is no 'American' attitude towards eating pork. Even if there were- so
what? My personal feeling that eating certain foods is wrong does not mean
that people who eat certain foods are disgusting or evil. I don't think
Moslems are evil just because a bunch of them seem to want to have women
wear what looks to me like bedsheets, especially non-Muslims have some
pretty stupid, and in my mind barbaric, customs too.

Do I think killing dolphins is barbaric? Yes. I also think encouraging
women to get their chests cut open to put saline-filled bags inside is
barbaric, too. And forcing geese to eat until they nearly explode in order
to enlarge their livers? Wicked. The sickest thing, though, is keeping
millions of animals penned up so that they can be tortured by milking
machines or force-fed grain, just so we can have milk and chicken.

All animal slaughter could be construed as evil- and usually is by someone.

shadow self

"Gerry" > wrote in message
d...
> In article >, shadow self
> > wrote:
>
> > > Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper?

> > Something that is NOT shocking: once again, the U.S. is sticking its

nose in
> > where it is not invited.

> Environmental, humanitarian and vegetarian groups are not affiliated
> with any one nation.

You're right, I was out of line.

Tea

"shadow self" > wrote in message

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
> d...

> > > Something that is NOT shocking: once again, the U.S. is sticking its

> nose in
> > > where it is not invited.

> > Environmental, humanitarian and vegetarian groups are not affiliated
> > with any one nation.

> You're right, I was out of line.

also, just as the first poster was offensive towards Japanese, you were
offensive towards Americans. We are not all international busybodies. Nor
are we all naive about world politics or other cultures. If some of us
choose to protest the killing of animals whose brain power and intelligence
is not far from humans, we are not necessarily doing so because we are
Americans- quite frankly, most Americans don't give a damn what people eat
in Japan, and couldn't find Japan on a map if their lives depended on it.
What I find interesting is how Americans are always accused of putting our
noses in things- but the people who say this don't seem to be urging their
countries to pay back all the loans that America makes so their countries
won't have to associate with us. They also don't seem to be worked up when
US money props up their economies in times of need, and I haven't heard of a
country yet that has said, 'no thank you- but we don't want you money'. If
Western Europe alone finished paying off their Marshall Plan loans, not a
single American child would go to bed hungry, lack milk or clothing, or go
to a school without proper books for at least 20 years. Mistaken and
downright wrong-headed as we have often been (and I am no conservative by
any means), I wonder if all the US-haters would have liked the world that
would have come into being without the US entry into World War II, the
monies loaned by American taxpayers for the Marshall Plan that helped to
stave off the Nazis and other fascists rising again, or the American buying
power that has kept many European companies afloat while helping to turn
Japan into a major world player. I'm not proud of what we did in Vietnam,
our current attitude against Cuba, and our support of anti-Communist
dictators who have used our money to torture and maim their own people, but
I'm not ashamed that there are still enough Brits, French, Germans,
Spaniards, Italians and even Japanese left in the world to sneer how we are
always sticking our noses in other people's business while forgetting that
if we had ignored them or treated them the way the Russians would have liked
to have done, they'd still all be standing in line for toilet paper and
rotted potatoes. Instead, I am happy to say that they are alive, healthy,
and able to crack wise while never getting around to paying the money they
still owe, and they often have the nerve to ask for more.

Jules Network Test

I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the Japanese
who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike Innuits), therefore
one could say that the subject matter raised questions about harvesting
depleting stock. It is beside the point to this alongside to what is reared
for eating and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will
oneday be extinct.
It is also hypocritical for Mr/Mrs/Ms Musashi to label myself a 'mental
retard' when he/she feels I have labelled the Japanese in an unfair manner -
he/she must have as much regard towards the mentally challenged as for the
poor dolphins.
For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of Japan,
and they don't share pro whaling camp.

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "JohnW" > wrote in message
> > "Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
> > @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:
> >
> > > http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

> > Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper? or because there is *GASP*
> > blood? Usually when an animal is butchered, there is blood. The fact

> that
> > it is done in a cove (very small area), makes it appear to be a SEA of
> > BLOOD (how very spectacular).
> >
> > I wonder what it tastes like.

> The subject line is offensive to Japanese people.
> One could just as easily say "what it is with the American attitude to

this
> kind of food?
> http://www.ca4a.org/info/slaughterhouse/
>
> In anycase, animals are slaughtered all over the world.
> Eating animals crosses all cultural boundaries.
> The original poster is a mental retard.

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > "JohnW" > wrote in message
> > > "Chef!" > wrote in news9Onb.229$jl2.263965
> > > @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:

> > > Why is it *shocking*? Because it is flipper? or because there is

*GASP*
> > > blood? Usually when an animal is butchered, there is blood. The fact

> > that
> > > it is done in a cove (very small area), makes it appear to be a SEA of
> > > BLOOD (how very spectacular).
> > >
> > > I wonder what it tastes like.

> > The subject line is offensive to Japanese people.
> > One could just as easily say "what it is with the American attitude to

> this
> > kind of food?
> > http://www.ca4a.org/info/slaughterhouse/
> >
> > In anycase, animals are slaughtered all over the world.
> > Eating animals crosses all cultural boundaries.
> > The original poster is a mental retard.

> While I think eating dolphin is pretty awful (I feel the same way about
> eating dogs, horses, monkeys, cats, and other animals with higher

reasoning
> ability) I agree that the first poster's statement is offensive.
> I live in the US. Lots of us here eat pig. However, many Americans

don't-
> there is no 'American' attitude towards eating pork. Even if there were-

so
> what? My personal feeling that eating certain foods is wrong does not mean
> that people who eat certain foods are disgusting or evil. I don't think
> Moslems are evil just because a bunch of them seem to want to have women
> wear what looks to me like bedsheets, especially non-Muslims have some
> pretty stupid, and in my mind barbaric, customs too.
>
> Do I think killing dolphins is barbaric? Yes. I also think encouraging
> women to get their chests cut open to put saline-filled bags inside is
> barbaric, too. And forcing geese to eat until they nearly explode in

order
> to enlarge their livers? Wicked. The sickest thing, though, is keeping
> millions of animals penned up so that they can be tortured by milking
> machines or force-fed grain, just so we can have milk and chicken.
>
> All animal slaughter could be construed as evil- and usually is by

someone.

Actually, what I failed to mention earlier is that porpoise/dophin is NOT a
KNOWN JAPANESE FOOD.
In other words, if you go walking into a Japanese restaurant and ask for
Flipper don't be surprised if you
get laughed at.
I have eaten whale in Japan, and there have been reports that some dishonest
merchants have been selling
porpoise/dolphin meat falsely labeled as "whale". It is also possible that
in some remote places it is in fact
eaten. The article mentioned porpoise being canned. Perhaps but I have never
seen any in cans or at fish markets
in Japan. I was of the belief that the real reason that some fishermen kill
porpoises was for the same reason that
American fishermen use to kill seals..that they competed for the fish.

tai fu

mmmm.... dolphin.... *drools*

Musashi

"Jules Network Test" > wrote in message
> I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the

Japanese
> who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike Innuits),

therefore
> one could say that the subject matter raised questions about harvesting
> depleting stock. It is beside the point to this alongside to what is

reared
> for eating and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will
> oneday be extinct.
> It is also hypocritical for Mr/Mrs/Ms Musashi to label myself a 'mental
> retard' when he/she feels I have labelled the Japanese in an unfair

manner -
> he/she must have as much regard towards the mentally challenged as for the
> poor dolphins.
> For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of

Japan,
> and they don't share pro whaling camp.

Sorry but I find your last statement lacking in credibility.
You say you chose your words carefully???
"What is it with the Japanese" means "what is wrong with the Japanese."
Your subject line does NOT mean "what is the Japanese attitude".
If you considered these words carefully I suggest you go back to school for
a remedial English class.
Furthermore, if you indeed have alot of Japanese friends both in and out of
Japan then any
one of them would have told you that porpoises are not customarily
considered food in Japan,
that you will never find it in any fish market or restaurant.
Had you been talking about whale, that would have been a different matter.
The striped dolphins (not bottle nosed clever intelligent Flipper dolphins
of TV fame)
were being killed because of competetion for fish. The same reason that
American Fishermam use
to shoot seals because of competition for salmon. Additionally much of
Japans fish stocks are farmed
in ocean pens which are attacked by the porpoises. Perhaps a better approach
should be taken to
solve the problem, but you posting a misleading subject line does nothing to
accomplish that.

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message

> [...]

> our current attitude against Cuba, and our support of anti-Communist
> dictators who have used our money to torture and maim their own people,

but
> I'm not ashamed that there are still enough Brits, French, Germans,
> Spaniards, Italians and even Japanese left in the world to sneer how we

are
> always sticking our noses in other people's business while forgetting that
> if we had ignored them or treated them the way the Russians would have

liked
> to have done, they'd still all be standing in line for toilet paper and
> rotted potatoes. Instead, I am happy to say that they are alive, healthy,
> and able to crack wise while never getting around to paying the money they
> still owe, and they often have the nerve to ask for more.

No one country in the 20th century has given more to other countries, or as
paid as dear a price in blood to
eliminate fascism and militarism in other countries as the United States.
I think that that fact alone compensates for her mistakes and failures.

Mark Shaw

:

>> http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_833468.html

>I wonder what it tastes like.

And: is it tuna safe?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Find me one moment in the history of the Middle East in which an
shadow self

"Tea" > wrote in message

> > You're right, I was out of line.

> also, just as the first poster was offensive towards Japanese, you were
> offensive towards Americans.

It looks like I already said I was out of line. Sorry if I did not make it
clear enough.

I say wrong thing. I say bad! Me say sorry.

shadow self

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> I think that that fact alone compensates for her mistakes and failures.

Not if she never learns from them.

Tea

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Jules Network Test" > wrote in message
> > I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the

> Japanese
> > who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike Innuits),

> therefore
> > one could say that the subject matter raised questions about harvesting
> > depleting stock. It is beside the point to this alongside to what is

> reared
> > for eating and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will
> > oneday be extinct.
> > It is also hypocritical for Mr/Mrs/Ms Musashi to label myself a 'mental
> > retard' when he/she feels I have labelled the Japanese in an unfair

> manner -
> > he/she must have as much regard towards the mentally challenged as for

the
> > poor dolphins.
> > For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of

> Japan,
> > and they don't share pro whaling camp.
> >

> Sorry but I find your last statement lacking in credibility.
> You say you chose your words carefully???
> "What is it with the Japanese" means "what is wrong with the Japanese."
> Your subject line does NOT mean "what is the Japanese attitude".
> If you considered these words carefully I suggest you go back to school

for
> a remedial English class.
> Furthermore, if you indeed have alot of Japanese friends both in and out

of
> Japan then any
> one of them would have told you that porpoises are not customarily
> considered food in Japan,
> that you will never find it in any fish market or restaurant.
> Had you been talking about whale, that would have been a different matter.
> The striped dolphins (not bottle nosed clever intelligent Flipper dolphins
> of TV fame)
> were being killed because of competetion for fish. The same reason that
> American Fishermam use
> to shoot seals because of competition for salmon. Additionally much of
> Japans fish stocks are farmed
> in ocean pens which are attacked by the porpoises. Perhaps a better

approach
> should be taken to
> solve the problem, but you posting a misleading subject line does nothing

> accomplish that.

My personal problem- and it is personal- is that there probably are better
ways of dealing with the attacks. But still, slandering all Japanese is
ridiculous.

While I used the term 'barbaric' above, I must say this- pretty much
everything humans do to get food, clothing, shelter or safety is 'barbaric'.
We are animals. Pure and simple. All of us. And every culture has a custom
practice by some people that is barbaric to somebody else.

Years ago, the American Museum of Natural History had an exhibition on body
modification. I went to see it on a Saturday, but I had to have friends
remove me. Why? Because if I had to listen to one more thin-from-lipo woman
with obvious plastic surgery marks and stilletto heels natter on and on
about the horrible Chinese and the tiny shoes they 'forced' women to wear,
or the cruel Victorians and the disgusting corsets they 'forced' women to
wear, I was going to start screaming. Having worn corsets as well as high
heels, I can safely say that high heels are indescribably worse for the
entire body than a corset will ever be- by my standards, high heels rate
high on the 'barbarism' scale. I know that some of my Moslem students would
have agreed with me, including the one or two who wore burqas to class.
They thought American plastic surgery was sick and depraved- maybe we should
stop it based on their good opinion, but I doubt we will.

Gerry

In article >, Jules
Network Test > wrote:

> I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the
> Japanese who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike
> Innuits), therefore one could say that the subject matter raised
> questions about harvesting depleting stock.

"Japanese" do not all eat whale and/or dolphin. Just like all
Unitedstatesians do not eat beef or pork. You chose your words
carefully, but you should consider your thinking carefully even more
so.

> It is beside the point to this alongside to what is reared for eating
> and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will oneday
> be extinct.

Like Cod, Roughy and Salmon, we are fishing them all to extinction.
That's the nature of capitalism. Bitch about capitalists, or fishing
fleets. It has nothing to do with national constructs.

> For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of
> Japan, and they don't share pro whaling camp.

For the record your roster of friends doesn't bolster one whit what is
a matter of your personal opinion. Your opinion is just fine as is, no
need to cloak it with faux authority by anecdotal reference to tiny,
vagure and irrelevant groups.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Chef!

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Jules Network Test" > wrote in message
> > I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the

> Japanese
> > who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike Innuits),

> therefore
> > one could say that the subject matter raised questions about harvesting
> > depleting stock. It is beside the point to this alongside to what is

> reared
> > for eating and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will
> > oneday be extinct.
> > It is also hypocritical for Mr/Mrs/Ms Musashi to label myself a 'mental
> > retard' when he/she feels I have labelled the Japanese in an unfair

> manner -
> > he/she must have as much regard towards the mentally challenged as for

the
> > poor dolphins.
> > For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of

> Japan,
> > and they don't share pro whaling camp.
> >

> Sorry but I find your last statement lacking in credibility.
> You say you chose your words carefully???

I hardly think you should be sorry for my incredible statement.

> "What is it with the Japanese" means "what is wrong with the Japanese."
> Your subject line does NOT mean "what is the Japanese attitude".

These are very similar and is open to interpretation by the author/reader,
when the whole sentence is read. It is also the view of one who, in any
given civilised society, would have found the reports disturbing. It is
also why the photographers went to such trouble to highlight such acts.
'Japanese' in this context does not, and was not meant to be racist or
encapsulate the Japanese as a whole, but rather the perpetrators of this
act.

> If you considered these words carefully I suggest you go back to school

for
> a remedial English class.

Why, is this a personal attack Ms Myashi?

> Furthermore, if you indeed have alot of Japanese friends both in and out

of
> Japan then any
> one of them would have told you that porpoises are not customarily
> considered food in Japan,
> that you will never find it in any fish market or restaurant.
> Had you been talking about whale, that would have been a different matter.

If you read that sentence again, you won't find any mention of fish markets
or restaurants, all that was mentioned were that my Japanese friends are
against the hunting of whales, including dolphins and porpoises. No, not
about food or buying it at the market stall. Remedial classes anyone? Oh,
my apologies, those classes are for the mentally retards only, and that
would certainly not include your royal highness Ms Myashi (or whatever)

> The striped dolphins (not bottle nosed clever intelligent Flipper dolphins
> of TV fame)
> were being killed because of competetion for fish. The same reason that
> American Fishermam use
> to shoot seals because of competition for salmon.

Surely they have a right to exist and if survival means eating fish then so
be it - afterall they're sea creatures. If they need to cull the
'competition', then there is surely a more humane way to make the kill more
effective and not let the creatures bleed to death.

>Additionally much of Japans fish stocks are farmed
> in ocean pens which are attacked by the porpoises. Perhaps a better

approach
> should be taken to
> solve the problem, but you posting a misleading subject line does nothing

> accomplish that.

Better security or porpoise proofing the pens. I don't hear reports from
Scottish fisheries about otters taking their crop.

Chef!

what is 'vagure'?

"Gerry" > wrote in message
d...
> In article >, Jules
> Network Test > wrote:
>
> > I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the
> > Japanese who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike
> > Innuits), therefore one could say that the subject matter raised
> > questions about harvesting depleting stock.

> "Japanese" do not all eat whale and/or dolphin. Just like all
> Unitedstatesians do not eat beef or pork. You chose your words
> carefully, but you should consider your thinking carefully even more
> so.
>
> > It is beside the point to this alongside to what is reared for eating
> > and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas, will oneday
> > be extinct.

> Like Cod, Roughy and Salmon, we are fishing them all to extinction.
> That's the nature of capitalism. Bitch about capitalists, or fishing
> fleets. It has nothing to do with national constructs.
>
> > For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of
> > Japan, and they don't share pro whaling camp.

> For the record your roster of friends doesn't bolster one whit what is
> a matter of your personal opinion. Your opinion is just fine as is, no
> need to cloak it with faux authority by anecdotal reference to tiny,
> vagure and irrelevant groups.
>
> --
> ///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.

Tea

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> Actually, what I failed to mention earlier is that porpoise/dophin is NOT

> KNOWN JAPANESE FOOD.
> In other words, if you go walking into a Japanese restaurant and ask for
> Flipper don't be surprised if you
> get laughed at.

I had a similarly stupid discussion the other day on Craigslist, with a nit
who asked what the 'Asian culture's opinion' was on eating dog meat. After
explaining that there was no Asian culture opinion since most Asians don't
eat dogs, and that some South Koreans liked dog whereas some did not and
fought against the sale of dog meat, the same person asked me pretty much
the same question again.

Why is this a stupid discussion? Because Chef would never ask what is it
with the American attitude towards the murder of geese for foie gras. There
is no American opinion. Very few people eat foie gras, some people think
it's wrong to do so, and some people would eat it even if you held a gun to
their heads and told them to stop. The same with the American attitude
towards milkfed veal, or the American attitude towards eating crawdads.
There are Orthodox Jews in my town, and the last thing I looked, they were
al American. If I asked them what I thought of veal in cream sauce, or of
crawfish etoufee, would their opinion really signify anything? For that
matter, do the taste buds of a Louisianian reall reflects what someone from
wisconsin thinks of a food he may never well have tasted, and is fairly
obscure?
A better example would be possum, which is considered a delicacy in certain
parts of the rural South. If I took a picture of a possum getting shot on
the internet along with a story of how possum is sometimes found in cans and
jars along the backroads of Georgia, Chef would probably not call this
reflective of the American attitude towards members of the rodent family or
wonder aloud what we thought of said attitudes. I can tell you faithfully,
as a new Yorker, I have never tasted possum in my life, although I am pretty
sure my granddaddy did. I also have no opinion on the Black American
attitude towards the bizarre practice of eating a pig's intestines after
scouring them and cooking them on the stove without stuffing them first-
since I have never had hog maws and chitlins in my life, as I did not grow
up on a farm and do not wear overalls to work. My black American friends
from a Caribbean have even less of an opinion.

Tea

By the way- I just looked up an internet recipe for hog maws and chitlines.
I was always unter the impression that the maw was the cheek area. Boy was
I wrong. The maws are the pig stomachs.

In truth, my Mid-Atlantic mother once made chitlins for my coastal South
father. The house stank so bad before, during and a week after the cooking
(imagine the world's biggest fart cloud ant that will give you an idea) that
she never made them again. I refused to eat them. My father, by the way,
does not own overalls anymore, but did wear them as a child when he grew up
on a small farm. No doubt that is where he acquired a taste for a regional
food that all black people supposedly eat and love- that is if you listen to
the info given in old movies. But then, we're all supposed to be frightened
of ghosts and sleep a lot, too. I assume that ideas concerning bizarre
Japanese eating habits come from the same mythical place as the one that
produced stories regarding my ancestors. If porpoise was a popular dish in
Japan, a good many of us here would have tasted it by now.

Chef!

what a dumb F***. I shouldn't even dignify it with a reply, however to put
the record straight. Foie Gras is only the liver part of the fowl, true
it's force fed to enlarge the liver. Where in the post did you see me
condone this practice? For whatever reason the French so, the entire goose
is used, feathers, fat et al - none is wasted. For the second point, the
geese are reared and - in particular the Foie Gras de D'oie flock are
government regulated and the birds are usually what is termed 'free range'.
The dolphins are wild and if the culling at this rate continues, it will be
wiped out. I would not be suprised that you folks misundertand the delights
of Foie Gras, when the cheesebugger is considered the daily staple.

"Tea" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > Actually, what I failed to mention earlier is that porpoise/dophin is

NOT
> > KNOWN JAPANESE FOOD.
> > In other words, if you go walking into a Japanese restaurant and ask for
> > Flipper don't be surprised if you
> > get laughed at.

> I had a similarly stupid discussion the other day on Craigslist, with a

nit
> who asked what the 'Asian culture's opinion' was on eating dog meat.

After
> explaining that there was no Asian culture opinion since most Asians don't
> eat dogs, and that some South Koreans liked dog whereas some did not and
> fought against the sale of dog meat, the same person asked me pretty much
> the same question again.
>
> Why is this a stupid discussion? Because Chef would never ask what is it
> with the American attitude towards the murder of geese for foie gras.

There
> is no American opinion. Very few people eat foie gras, some people think
> it's wrong to do so, and some people would eat it even if you held a gun

> their heads and told them to stop. The same with the American attitude
> towards milkfed veal, or the American attitude towards eating crawdads.
> There are Orthodox Jews in my town, and the last thing I looked, they were
> al American. If I asked them what I thought of veal in cream sauce, or of
> crawfish etoufee, would their opinion really signify anything? For that
> matter, do the taste buds of a Louisianian reall reflects what someone

from
> wisconsin thinks of a food he may never well have tasted, and is fairly
> obscure?
> A better example would be possum, which is considered a delicacy in

certain
> parts of the rural South. If I took a picture of a possum getting shot on
> the internet along with a story of how possum is sometimes found in cans

and
> jars along the backroads of Georgia, Chef would probably not call this
> reflective of the American attitude towards members of the rodent family

or
> wonder aloud what we thought of said attitudes. I can tell you

faithfully,
> as a new Yorker, I have never tasted possum in my life, although I am

pretty
> sure my granddaddy did. I also have no opinion on the Black American
> attitude towards the bizarre practice of eating a pig's intestines after
> scouring them and cooking them on the stove without stuffing them first-
> since I have never had hog maws and chitlins in my life, as I did not grow
> up on a farm and do not wear overalls to work. My black American friends
> from a Caribbean have even less of an opinion.

Chef!

I think you mean 'chitterlings'?

"Tea" > wrote in message

> By the way- I just looked up an internet recipe for hog maws and

chitlines.
> I was always unter the impression that the maw was the cheek area. Boy

was
> I wrong. The maws are the pig stomachs.
>
> In truth, my Mid-Atlantic mother once made chitlins for my coastal South
> father. The house stank so bad before, during and a week after the

cooking
> (imagine the world's biggest fart cloud ant that will give you an idea)

that
> she never made them again. I refused to eat them. My father, by the way,
> does not own overalls anymore, but did wear them as a child when he grew

up
> on a small farm. No doubt that is where he acquired a taste for a

regional
> food that all black people supposedly eat and love- that is if you listen

> the info given in old movies. But then, we're all supposed to be

frightened
> of ghosts and sleep a lot, too. I assume that ideas concerning bizarre
> Japanese eating habits come from the same mythical place as the one that
> produced stories regarding my ancestors. If porpoise was a popular dish in
> Japan, a good many of us here would have tasted it by now.

Gerry

In article >, Chef!
> wrote:

> what is 'vagure'?

Vague with a errant "r". Though I noted when attemping a lookup, that
there is a word vaguer; more vague. A surprise to me.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.

JohnW

"Chef!" > wrote in
:

> I think you mean 'chitterlings'?

Go down South and pronounce it like that and see what happens.

Kinda like how WORCESTER (Mass) is pronounced "WOOSTER"

If you walk into a place that actually sells them or serves them and ask
for them by any other name than CHITLINS and it will at least give them
something to smile about for the rest of the week.

"Yes hello I'd like some chitterlings and some corn bread with some collard
greens."
"Yes I said chitterlings. Why are you laughing?"
"No, I am NOT from around here why?"

(and if you call them chitterlings, the next thing you say will likely be)
"WHOA THESE SMELL! WHAT PART OF THE PIG ARE THESE FROM???!!1"

Gerry

In article >, JohnW
> wrote:

> > I think you mean 'chitterlings'?

> Go down South and pronounce it like that and see what happens.

The idea of someone who's not from the south eating that sludge would
be even more amazing.

Same with menudo...

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Musashi

"shadow self" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > I think that that fact alone compensates for her mistakes and failures.

> Not if she never learns from them.

Yes I can't deny that
But governments are made up of people, and we all knoe
people are not perfect, they do make mistakes

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > Actually, what I failed to mention earlier is that porpoise/dophin is

NOT
> > KNOWN JAPANESE FOOD.
> > In other words, if you go walking into a Japanese restaurant and ask for
> > Flipper don't be surprised if you
> > get laughed at.

> I had a similarly stupid discussion the other day on Craigslist, with a

nit
> who asked what the 'Asian culture's opinion' was on eating dog meat.

After
> explaining that there was no Asian culture opinion since most Asians don't
> eat dogs, and that some South Koreans liked dog whereas some did not and
> fought against the sale of dog meat, the same person asked me pretty much
> the same question again.
>
> Why is this a stupid discussion? Because Chef would never ask what is it
> with the American attitude towards the murder of geese for foie gras.

There
> is no American opinion. Very few people eat foie gras, some people think
> it's wrong to do so, and some people would eat it even if you held a gun

> their heads and told them to stop. The same with the American attitude
> towards milkfed veal, or the American attitude towards eating crawdads.
> There are Orthodox Jews in my town, and the last thing I looked, they were
> al American. If I asked them what I thought of veal in cream sauce, or of
> crawfish etoufee, would their opinion really signify anything? For that
> matter, do the taste buds of a Louisianian reall reflects what someone

from
> wisconsin thinks of a food he may never well have tasted, and is fairly
> obscure?
> A better example would be possum, which is considered a delicacy in

certain
> parts of the rural South. If I took a picture of a possum getting shot on
> the internet along with a story of how possum is sometimes found in cans

and
> jars along the backroads of Georgia, Chef would probably not call this
> reflective of the American attitude towards members of the rodent family

or
> wonder aloud what we thought of said attitudes. I can tell you

faithfully,
> as a new Yorker, I have never tasted possum in my life, although I am

pretty
> sure my granddaddy did. I also have no opinion on the Black American
> attitude towards the bizarre practice of eating a pig's intestines after
> scouring them and cooking them on the stove without stuffing them first-
> since I have never had hog maws and chitlins in my life, as I did not grow
> up on a farm and do not wear overalls to work. My black American friends
> from a Caribbean have even less of an opinion.

Very good examples.
A Japanese friend once asked me if I ever ate Bull's testicles as he had
heard they are eaten in America.
I asked him "Have you ever eaten Basashi? (Raw Horse Meat)".

Musashi

Since you make a clear distinction between "culled from the wild" and
"reared" may I assume
that you only eat Farm Raised Salmon and never Wild Alaskan Salmon?

"Chef!" > wrote in message
> [...]

> and
> > jars along the backroads of Georgia, Chef would probably not call this
> > reflective of the American attitude towards members of the rodent family

> or
> > wonder aloud what we thought of said attitudes. I can tell you

> faithfully,
> > as a new Yorker, I have never tasted possum in my life, although I am

> pretty
> > sure my granddaddy did. I also have no opinion on the Black American
> > attitude towards the bizarre practice of eating a pig's intestines after
> > scouring them and cooking them on the stove without stuffing them first-
> > since I have never had hog maws and chitlins in my life, as I did not

grow
> > up on a farm and do not wear overalls to work. My black American friends
> > from a Caribbean have even less of an opinion.

Musashi

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

Actually I seem to have made a mistake. I stated that Americans "use to"
shoot seals because of
competition for fish.
The anti-salmon farming sites seem to indicate that Americans "are"
currently shooting seals because
they invade the pens. Exactly what the porpoises/dolphins do in Japan.

Musashi

"Chef!" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > "Jules Network Test" > wrote in message
> > > I chose the words to the subject line very carefully, as it is the

> > Japanese
> > > who eat whales and dolphins not out of necessity (unlike Innuits),

> > therefore
> > > one could say that the subject matter raised questions about

harvesting
> > > depleting stock. It is beside the point to this alongside to what is

> > reared
> > > for eating and that which is wild and, if hunted to today's quotas,

will
> > > oneday be extinct.
> > > It is also hypocritical for Mr/Mrs/Ms Musashi to label myself a

'mental
> > > retard' when he/she feels I have labelled the Japanese in an unfair

> > manner -
> > > he/she must have as much regard towards the mentally challenged as for

> the
> > > poor dolphins.
> > > For the record, I have a lot of Japanese friends, both in and out of

> > Japan,
> > > and they don't share pro whaling camp.
> > >

> > Sorry but I find your last statement lacking in credibility.
> > You say you chose your words carefully???

> I hardly think you should be sorry for my incredible statement.

Ok I'm not. Your subject line is not "incredible".
It is misleading as it contains false information, and it is offensive to an
entire nationality.

> > "What is it with the Japanese" means "what is wrong with the Japanese."
> > Your subject line does NOT mean "what is the Japanese attitude".

> These are very similar and is open to interpretation by the author/reader,
> when the whole sentence is read. It is also the view of one who, in any
> given civilised society, would have found the reports disturbing. It is
> also why the photographers went to such trouble to highlight such acts.
> 'Japanese' in this context does not, and was not meant to be racist or
> encapsulate the Japanese as a whole, but rather the perpetrators of this
> act.

Nice try but very weak.
Your words "the Japanese attitude" clearly means the opinion of the Japanese
people
as a whole. It can not be construed to mean anything else.

> > If you considered these words carefully I suggest you go back to school

> for
> > a remedial English class.

> Why, is this a personal attack Ms Myashi?
>
> > Furthermore, if you indeed have alot of Japanese friends both in and out

> of Japan then any
> > one of them would have told you that porpoises are not customarily
> > considered food in Japan,
> > that you will never find it in any fish market or restaurant.
> > Had you been talking about whale, that would have been a different

matter.

> If you read that sentence again, you won't find any mention of fish

markets
> or restaurants, all that was mentioned were that my Japanese friends are
> against the hunting of whales, including dolphins and porpoises. No, not
> about food or buying it at the market stall. Remedial classes anyone?

Oh,
> my apologies, those classes are for the mentally retards only, and that
> would certainly not include your royal highness Ms Myashi (or whatever)

Then why the subject line with the words "this kind of food"??
Did you get even one opinion from all of your alleged Japanese friends
concerning
this article which you intend to post? If you had, you would have known that
porpoises
and dolphins aren't considered food in Japan.
Then your subject line would not give the false impression that they were
"food".

> > The striped dolphins (not bottle nosed clever intelligent Flipper

dolphins
> > of TV fame) were being killed because of competetion for fish. The same

reason that
> > American Fishermam use to shoot seals because of competition for salmon.

> Surely they have a right to exist and if survival means eating fish then

so
> be it - afterall they're sea creatures. If they need to cull the
> 'competition', then there is surely a more humane way to make the kill

more
> effective and not let the creatures bleed to death.

Most State Departments of Game currently consider slowly "bleeding to death"
by way of bowhunting
to be a more humane way (loss of conciousness) of killing than by gunshot
(massive trauma).
Therefore this is a debatable point.

> >Additionally much of Japans fish stocks are farmed
> > in ocean pens which are attacked by the porpoises. Perhaps a better

> approach should be taken to solve the problem, but you posting a

misleading subject line does nothing
> to accomplish that.
>
> Better security or porpoise proofing the pens. I don't hear reports from
> Scottish fisheries about otters taking their crop.

Yes, but US North Pacific, Alaskan and Canadain fish farms appear to engage
in shooting the seals
which attack their pens. This is no different than what happens in Japan.

shadow self

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> Most State Departments of Game currently consider slowly "bleeding to

death"
> by way of bowhunting
> to be a more humane way (loss of conciousness) of killing than by gunshot
> (massive trauma).
> Therefore this is a debatable point.

Interesting concept. However, I would much rather be shot in the head and
die instantly than be sliced and slowly and painfully bleed to death. But
that's just me.

Musashi

"shadow self" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > Most State Departments of Game currently consider slowly "bleeding to

> death"
> > by way of bowhunting
> > to be a more humane way (loss of conciousness) of killing than by

gunshot
> > (massive trauma).
> > Therefore this is a debatable point.

> Interesting concept. However, I would much rather be shot in the head and
> die instantly than be sliced and slowly and painfully bleed to death. But
> that's just me.

I had always thought so too, until I read about it.

cory

shadow self wrote:

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>>Most State Departments of Game currently consider slowly "bleeding to

> death"
>
>>by way of bowhunting
>>to be a more humane way (loss of conciousness) of killing than by gunshot
>>(massive trauma).
>>Therefore this is a debatable point.

> Interesting concept. However, I would much rather be shot in the head and
> die instantly than be sliced and slowly and painfully bleed to death. But
> that's just me.

You're just splitting hairs. Personally, I would rather be left unharmed.

shadow self

"cory" > wrote in message
om...

> > Interesting concept. However, I would much rather be shot in the head

and
> > die instantly than be sliced and slowly and painfully bleed to death.

But
> > that's just me.
> >

> You're just splitting hairs. Personally, I would rather be left unharmed.

*laugh* Point.

Chef!

Have tried both Alaskan and Scottish wild salmon. What's your point? You
parodize the subject to the workings of an abattoir earlier. The fact is we
all need to eat to survive and the way civilisation has evolved is to
industrialise the slaughter method putting as little pain and distress on
the animals as possible. I like my steaks and fish just like the next
person. I am not a tree hugging Mother Earth vegetarian, and I don't
condemn those that are. My distinction is that, what I eat is sustainable
and, where possible and as far as I know, killed in a fashion which
conscientious and morally acceptable. Culling is another matter, if what
you say is true -the dolphins pose a competative threat to the fisheries-
then who are we judge the workings of Mother Nature?

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > > reflective of the American attitude towards members of the rodent

family
> > or
> > > wonder aloud what we thought of said attitudes. I can tell you

> > faithfully,
> > > as a new Yorker, I have never tasted possum in my life, although I am

> > pretty
> > > sure my granddaddy did. I also have no opinion on the Black American
> > > attitude towards the bizarre practice of eating a pig's intestines

after
> > > scouring them and cooking them on the stove without stuffing them

first-
> > > since I have never had hog maws and chitlins in my life, as I did not

> grow
> > > up on a farm and do not wear overalls to work. My black American

friends
> > > from a Caribbean have even less of an opinion.

Chef!

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> [...]

> > or restaurants, all that was mentioned were that my Japanese friends are
> > against the hunting of whales, including dolphins and porpoises. No,

not
> > about food or buying it at the market stall. Remedial classes anyone?

> Oh,
> > my apologies, those classes are for the mentally retards only, and that
> > would certainly not include your royal highness Ms Myashi (or whatever)
> >

> Then why the subject line with the words "this kind of food"??
> Did you get even one opinion from all of your alleged Japanese friends
> concerning
> this article which you intend to post? If you had, you would have known

that
> porpoises
> and dolphins aren't considered food in Japan.
> Then your subject line would not give the false impression that they were

Yes, they're killed and canned. I am sure it doesn't take a rocket
scientist to work out what canning meat is about. Perhaps it's another
medium for Damien Hirst?

Tea

"Gerry" > wrote in message
d...
> In article >, JohnW
> > wrote:
>
> > > I think you mean 'chitterlings'?

> > Go down South and pronounce it like that and see what happens.

> The idea of someone who's not from the south eating that sludge would
> be even more amazing.
>
> Same with menudo...
>
>The standard English word is chitterlings. Below the Mason-Dixon Line, the

word is 'chitlins' and is sometimes written that way on containers. The
standard English term is pig's stomach- but again, down South a pig's
stomach is hog maws.

Actually many of us eat chitlins all the time- every time we have a hot dog
made with natural casing. There are other countries where people eat
chitlins as a delicacy, too. I would eat them except that they smell
something awful and look worse. However, my father would be more likely to
eat chitlins than some 'nasty' food like sushi- after all, fish is for
cooking unless it's bait. He would be even more grossed out by sweetbreads
or tripe.
On the other hand, I love that quintessential bad American food- White
Castle hamburgers. I do draw the line at Velveeta, Spam, and putting
mayonnaise on sandwiches, though. Some things are just too depraved.

Musashi

The "point" is that you are against culling wild creatures because
eventually it will not be
sustainable. Why have you tried Alaskan Wild Salmon? Are you not aware that
their stocks
were reduced to such levels that the fishery became restricted and that is
what gave birth to
the salmon farming boom? The same salmon farming boom, according to some
advocates of
anti-fish farming that is ruining our environment and giving cause to
farmers shooting seals because
they attack the pens.
How any creature is killed and whether that particular method is
"conscientious and morally acceptable"
is very subjective, depending on your cultural, religious, moral upbringing.
And it is questionable if
one can reasonablr apply ones own beliefs on others throughout the world.