Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default How do you like your sashimi?

Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:
> Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

Somewhat in between. I've had it still with ice crystals, and
that kind of ruins the taste. Room temperature is ok, but just
slightly cool is better for me.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> James wrote:
> > Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

> Somewhat in between. I've had it still with ice crystals, and
> that kind of ruins the taste. Room temperature is ok, but just
> slightly cool is better for me.

Likewise. After slightly freezing the fish to make it easier to slice thin,
slicing it, plating it in a nice presentation and serving it with fresh
grated wasabi and shoyu, the temp is about as Dan says. The Junmai Daiginjo
sake should be around 50° F!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Zaghadka" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:39:41 -0700 (PDT), in alt.food.sushi, James wrote:
>
>>Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

> Room temp, so long as the room is climate controlled.
>
> --
> Zag
>
> What's the point of growing up
> if you can't be childish sometimes? ...Terrance Dicks, BBC

Slightly cooler than body temperature, but definitely not cold. Room temp?
Yeah, probably. And when it comes to sushi, there's little worse than cold
rice pads that were made this morning. Except perhaps those left over from
yesterday.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

Just slightly cooler than myself.

In fact no food should be 'ice cold', even ice cream. For example beer is often served way too cold and therefore taste like mineral water. There is of course beers that taste like mineral water in any temperature, bud i will not tell which ones. ;-)

Flavor is partly taste (bitter, salt, sweet, sour, umami) and partly smell (the rest), mostly smell. If food is too cold small molecules that create flavor will not evaporate in mouth (or before) and will not reach smell receptors in your nose before you swallow the food. This is why food is tastless if you have cold.

Jukka

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:34:54 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> James wrote:
> > Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

> Somewhat in between. I've had it still with ice crystals, and
> that kind of ruins the taste. Room temperature is ok, but just
> slightly cool is better for me.

Ditto.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote on Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:24:07 +0300:

>> Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

> Just slightly cooler than myself.

> In fact no food should be 'ice cold', even ice cream. For
> example beer is often served way too cold and therefore taste
> like mineral water. There is of course beers that taste like
> mineral water in any temperature, bud i will not tell which
> ones. ;-)

Cute! You might also include Stella Artois (Belgian), Kronenbourg and a
few other French and Italian beers.

I like practically all sushi just a little below room temperature. Even
in a refrigerated display case, it does not keep for more than an hour
or so and the better Kaiten have a way of checking who long the stuff
has been on the belt.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Kronenbourg

This one especially. I know some very good American (US) beers but not even one good French or Italian beer. Strange enough in Greece there is a few.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past James posted this:
> Ice cold, almost room temperature or somewhere in between?

I think about 60F would be good and as often as I can get it ;-)

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3