Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default temaki without rice

Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be offended
or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a handroll without the
rice?
I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy tuna in a
crispy nori cone.
Opinions?
Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori wrote on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:24:45 -0400:

> Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be
> offended or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a
> handroll without the rice?
> I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
> I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy
> tuna in a crispy nori cone.
> Opinions?

I can't see why you should not tell the chef that you cannot eat rice
but would like a handroll. I don't want to spoil things but is the mayo
in spicy tuna OK?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori Lee wrote:
> Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be offended
> or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a handroll without the
> rice?
> I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
> I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy tuna in a
> crispy nori cone.
> Opinions?

I would ask, and maybe they could put in cucumber instead for filler and
crunch.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:33:04 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Lori wrote on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:24:45 -0400:
>
>> Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be
>> offended or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a
>> handroll without the rice?
>> I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
>> I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy
>> tuna in a crispy nori cone.
>> Opinions?

>I can't see why you should not tell the chef that you cannot eat rice
>but would like a handroll. I don't want to spoil things but is the mayo
>in spicy tuna OK?

My local place does 2 kinds of spicy tuna roll, one with
mayo/sriracha, the other with spicy sesame oil. Either is OK, carbs
are out, any kind of protein/fat is fine.
Thanks
Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:54:45 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Lori Lee wrote:
>> Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be offended
>> or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a handroll without the
>> rice?
>> I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
>> I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy tuna in a
>> crispy nori cone.
>> Opinions?

>I would ask, and maybe they could put in cucumber instead for filler and
>crunch.

Sounds great to me, cuke or avo would be fine.
Thanks Dan

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote:
> Lori wrote on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:24:45 -0400:
>
> > Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be
> > offended or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a
> > handroll without the rice?
> > I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
> > I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy
> > tuna in a crispy nori cone.
> > Opinions?

> I can't see why you should not tell the chef that you cannot eat rice
> but would like a handroll. I don't want to spoil things but is the mayo
> in spicy tuna OK?

I have diabetes, which I control with Thai herbs. Rice is like sugar to my
condition! I love sashimi and enjoy a good temaki. Going to a sushiya is a
rare treat for me, damnit. I take some extra herbs before I go.

Mayo is essentially carb free. Sake (make mine a Junmai Daiginjo) lowers
your blood glucose.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Lori Lee wrote:
> > Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be offended
> > or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a handroll without the
> > rice?
> > I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
> > I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy tuna in a
> > crispy nori cone.
> > Opinions?

> I would ask, and maybe they could put in cucumber instead for filler and
> crunch.

Gobo gives it a nice crunch, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori Lee > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:54:45 -0400, Dan Logcher
> >Lori Lee wrote:
> >> Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be offended
> >> or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a handroll without the
> >> rice?
> >> I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
> >> I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy tuna in a
> >> crispy nori cone.
> >> Opinions?

> >I would ask, and maybe they could put in cucumber instead for filler and
> >crunch.

> Sounds great to me, cuke or avo would be fine.

I also like Umeboshi or Natto temaki.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

I got exactly what I wanted, spicy tuna temaki hold the rice. Itamae
did not even blink, charged $1 extra, and everyone was happy. Thanks
all for the input.

On 21 Aug 2009 21:40:54 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote:
>> Lori wrote on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:24:45 -0400:
>>
>> > Do you think my local itamae (whom I know a little) will be
>> > offended or think I am crazy if I ask him to make me a
>> > handroll without the rice?
>> > I am on a diet, no carbs, and rice is a big no-no.
>> > I know, I could order sashimi, but I am really craving spicy
>> > tuna in a crispy nori cone.
>> > Opinions?

>> I can't see why you should not tell the chef that you cannot eat rice
>> but would like a handroll. I don't want to spoil things but is the mayo
>> in spicy tuna OK?

>I have diabetes, which I control with Thai herbs. Rice is like sugar to my
>condition! I love sashimi and enjoy a good temaki. Going to a sushiya is a
>rare treat for me, damnit. I take some extra herbs before I go.
>
>Mayo is essentially carb free. Sake (make mine a Junmai Daiginjo) lowers
>your blood glucose.

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori Lee > wrote:
>I got exactly what I wanted, spicy tuna temaki hold the rice. Itamae
>did not even blink, charged $1 extra, and everyone was happy. Thanks
>all for the input.

Did they charge extra because there was more spicy tuna included to offset the
lack of rice?

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Exactly.

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:50:24 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>Lori Lee > wrote:
>>I got exactly what I wanted, spicy tuna temaki hold the rice. Itamae
>>did not even blink, charged $1 extra, and everyone was happy. Thanks
>>all for the input.

>Did they charge extra because there was more spicy tuna included to offset the
>lack of rice?
>
>Orlando

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:
> Rice is like sugar to my [diabetes]

Sugar and rice are both carbohydrates. Other nutational concerns
aside 5 grams of rice carbs and 5 grams of sugar grams are EXACTLY
the same re affect on blood sugar.

All those people who have been avoiding hi carb candies, cake etc are
mistaken. As long as the total carbs consumed are below your goal,
you can merrily eat sweets instead of rice.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to alt.food.sushi

CapeCodBob > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Rice is like sugar to my [diabetes]

> Sugar and rice are both carbohydrates. Other nutational concerns
> aside 5 grams of rice carbs and 5 grams of sugar grams are EXACTLY
> the same re affect on blood sugar.

Exactly!

> All those people who have been avoiding hi carb candies, cake etc are
> mistaken. As long as the total carbs consumed are below your goal,
> you can merrily eat sweets instead of rice.

I love mango with coconut cream flavored sweet (sticky) rice. One
tablespoon each is my limit. Pizza is my downfall. One slice spikes my
blood glucose once a month.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Obama Rice - Chinese companies mass producing fake rice out of plastic Leroy N. Soetoro General Cooking 11 20-02-2011 11:46 PM
Rec:wild rice with dried cherries and scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 07:12 PM
Temaki Zushi guren Sushi 22 25-03-2005 03:49 PM
zojirushi neuro fuzzy rice cooker for thai sweet rice (+ mango) Phil V. General Cooking 10 28-03-2004 06:32 PM