FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   Powdered seasonings on Sashimi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/175777-powdered-seasonings-sashimi.html)

Nanzi[_2_] 18-08-2009 06:31 PM

Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

Our itamae uses some kind of powder on one of the sashimi items in our
sashimi plates. The fish is light red in color - salmon? Tuna? It is
very tasty and we would like to use it at home when we buy sashimi
grade fish to do here.
Does anyone know what might be used, and or a recipe of same?
Thanks for your help.
We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
correct in that thinking?
Nan

Dan Logcher[_1_] 18-08-2009 06:47 PM

Nanzi wrote:
> Our itamae uses some kind of powder on one of the sashimi items in our
> sashimi plates. The fish is light red in color - salmon? Tuna? It is
> very tasty and we would like to use it at home when we buy sashimi
> grade fish to do here.
> Does anyone know what might be used, and or a recipe of same?
> Thanks for your help.
> We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
> correct in that thinking?

Never heard of a dried seasoning on sashimi.. could be the red pepper
flakes used for udon noodles. Can you describe the seasoning color and
flavor?

--
Dan

KLC Lewis 19-08-2009 02:55 AM

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Nanzi wrote:
>> Our itamae uses some kind of powder on one of the sashimi items in our
>> sashimi plates. The fish is light red in color - salmon? Tuna? It is
>> very tasty and we would like to use it at home when we buy sashimi
>> grade fish to do here.
>> Does anyone know what might be used, and or a recipe of same?
>> Thanks for your help.
>> We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
>> correct in that thinking?

> Never heard of a dried seasoning on sashimi.. could be the red pepper
> flakes used for udon noodles. Can you describe the seasoning color and
> flavor?
>
> --
> Dan

There are various blends of furikake that are used in sushi and sashimi
preparation, some are sugar-based and popular for using on chirashi, others
are bonito based and popular for topping hand rolls, yet others are spicy
and chili based -- the selection is almost endless. Most oriental food
stores will carry a good selection, as they are essential to Japanese
cooking.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Dan Logcher[_1_] 19-08-2009 06:02 AM

KLC Lewis wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Nanzi wrote:
>>
>>>Our itamae uses some kind of powder on one of the sashimi items in our
>>>sashimi plates. The fish is light red in color - salmon? Tuna? It is
>>>very tasty and we would like to use it at home when we buy sashimi
>>>grade fish to do here.
>>>Does anyone know what might be used, and or a recipe of same?
>>>Thanks for your help.
>>>We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
>>>correct in that thinking?

>>Never heard of a dried seasoning on sashimi.. could be the red pepper
>>flakes used for udon noodles. Can you describe the seasoning color and
>>flavor?

> There are various blends of furikake that are used in sushi and sashimi
> preparation, some are sugar-based and popular for using on chirashi, others
> are bonito based and popular for topping hand rolls, yet others are spicy
> and chili based -- the selection is almost endless. Most oriental food
> stores will carry a good selection, as they are essential to Japanese
> cooking.

Ah ok, furikake. I have never seen it used on sushi or sashimi, only put
over rice dishes.

--
Dan

Gerry[_3_] 25-08-2009 11:11 PM

On 2009-08-18 10:31:09 -0700, Nanzi > said:

> We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
> correct in that thinking?

You are incorrect.
--
-- Beware the delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets.

Gerry[_3_] 25-08-2009 11:13 PM

On 2009-08-18 22:02:39 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> Ah ok, furikake. I have never seen it used on sushi or sashimi, only put
> over rice dishes.

Same here. But I didn't see here say the powder was red, only "the fish
is light and red". It might have been powdered nori.

But asking the chef "what is this" shouldn't be too difficult.
--
-- Beware the delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets.

werewolf 22-07-2019 05:02 PM

Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

Once back in Queens, NY a feller brought me to a sushi restaurant. He said it was great. The sushi chef sprinkled SUGAR all over the fish and everything in my chirashi. I'd never encountered that before. It ruined everything.. Has anyone ever heard of that?

Ken Blake[_3_] 22-07-2019 09:09 PM

Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:02:50 -0700 (PDT), werewolf
> wrote:

>Once back in Queens, NY a feller brought me to a sushi restaurant. He said it was great. The sushi chef sprinkled SUGAR all over the fish and everything in my chirashi. I'd never encountered that before. It ruined everything. Has anyone ever heard of that?

I've never heard of it. It sounds terrible. i wonder if he possibly
made a mistake and thought he was sprinkling something else.

werewolf 23-07-2019 04:00 AM

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 1:09:09 PM UTC-7, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:02:50 -0700 (PDT), werewolf
>

> >Once back in Queens, NY a feller brought me to a sushi restaurant. He said it was great. The sushi chef sprinkled SUGAR all over the fish and everything in my chirashi. I'd never encountered that before. It ruined everything. Has anyone ever heard of that?

> I've never heard of it. It sounds terrible. i wonder if he possibly
> made a mistake and thought he was sprinkling something else.

It totally ruined the taste of the fish. My friend and his wife didn't seem to mind it at all. I think they said they always do that there (it was a number of years ago). I still can't figure out what that was all about.

Truth is I hardly ever eat raw fish anymore. Getting sick from pigging out on it at the Todai in CA cured me of the habit. That wasn't the first time I'd gotten sick from sushi either.

One place I want to go to is in CA that specializes in uni. I love uni.

I still like to watch videos of sashimi served in Japan.

Ken Blake[_3_] 23-07-2019 04:01 PM

Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:00:27 -0700 (PDT), werewolf
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 1:09:09 PM UTC-7, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:02:50 -0700 (PDT), werewolf
>>

>> >Once back in Queens, NY a feller brought me to a sushi restaurant. He said it was great. The sushi chef sprinkled SUGAR all over the fish and everything in my chirashi. I'd never encountered that before. It ruined everything. Has anyone ever heard of that?

>> I've never heard of it. It sounds terrible. i wonder if he possibly
>> made a mistake and thought he was sprinkling something else.

>It totally ruined the taste of the fish. My friend and his wife didn't seem to mind it at all. I think they said they always do that there (it was a number of years ago). I still can't figure out what that was all about.
>
>Truth is I hardly ever eat raw fish anymore.

I don't eat it as often as I want to, since my wife doesn't want it as
much as I do.

>Getting sick from pigging out on it at the Todai in CA cured me of the habit. That wasn't the first time I'd gotten sick from sushi either.

I've never gotten sick from it. And if I did, I'd probably stay away
from that sushi bar rather than give it up altogether.

>One place I want to go to is in CA that specializes in uni. I love uni.

Me too. My wife hates it, probably because the only time she had it,
it was a bad batch.

...[_2_] 26-07-2019 06:33 AM

Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

Well all the Todais in the USA are now closed.

Uni especially must be very fresh.