Posted to memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

Default Sekisui East vs Cordova (memphis sushi)

Hi Folks,

what are your favorite sushi bars in the Memphis area?

ever since Jimmy was the itamaesan in about 1990 Sekisui on Humphey's
has been the best...

but recently the Cordova location has been doing really well... a more
limited selection but real artistry none the less...

Midtown has gone down hill since they took away the boats...they were
fun but they did focus to much on maki... but people like maki...

I think I've had sushi at everyplace that specializes in it (as opposed
to the chinese buffets with a little sushi thrown in) in the area... but
Jimmy seems to keep to a higher standard than the other places.

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackamore View Post
Hi Folks,

what are your favorite sushi bars in the Memphis area?

ever since Jimmy was the itamaesan in about 1990 Sekisui on Humphey's
has been the best...

but recently the Cordova location has been doing really well... a more
limited selection but real artistry none the less...

Midtown has gone down hill since they took away the boats...they were
fun but they did focus to much on maki... but people like maki...

I think I've had sushi at everyplace that specializes in it (as opposed
to the chinese buffets with a little sushi thrown in) in the area... but
Jimmy seems to keep to a higher standard than the other places.

--

Hackamore
Hackamore.com - Memphis, Tennessee
Just Gift Cards
Hackamore Travel
Yeah, Humphry's has always been one of my favorites too. You can't really go wrong with their selection.
Posted to memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

On Jul 6, 12:52*am, hackamore > wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> what are your favorite sushi bars in the Memphis area?
>
> ever since Jimmy was the itamaesan in about 1990 Sekisui on Humphey's
> has been the best...
>
> but recently the Cordova location has been doing really well... a more
> limited selection but real artistry none the less...
>
> Midtown has gone down hill since they took away the boats...they were
> fun but they did focus to much on maki... but people like maki...
>
> I think I've had sushi at everyplace that specializes in it (as opposed
> to the chinese buffets with a little sushi thrown in) in the area... but
> Jimmy seems to keep to a higher standard than the other places.

I've never liked Sekisui on Humphreys, I had salmon sashimi there that
I chewed forever and finally gave up on. It had the gray part on it
(yuck). My favorite isn't really Memphis, it's Sakura in Germantown.

Jack

Posted to memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

Default Memphis Sushi

Hi,

the real up and commer is Eat Well on Germantown Parkway just north of
the mall...

a moderately upscale Japanese Buffet... 1/2 hot 1/2 cold... good sashimi
but a limited selection (tuna, salmon, octopus, shrimp, white tuna,
possibly yellowtail or albacore)... lots of rolls... tofu, quails eggs, etc.

for some reason they have the eel nigiri in the cold section

and a whole bunch of cooked japanese... and they keep the food fresh by
cooking continually and just putting out small batches.

about 20$/person with drink it's very busy on weekends

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Posted to memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

On 2009-11-23 01:26:39 -0800, Hackamore > said:

> a moderately upscale Japanese Buffet...

[snip]

> about 20$/person with drink it's very busy on weekends

$20 is moderately upscale? Interesting...
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:
> On 2009-11-23 01:26:39 -0800, Hackamore > said:
>
>> a moderately upscale Japanese Buffet...

> [snip]
>
>> about 20$/person with drink it's very busy on weekends

> $20 is moderately upscale? Interesting...

Hi,

for an asian buffet.

Happy Buffet in Poplar plaza is under 10$, has sushi (not good sushi but
has sushi), mongolian bbq, and the standards.

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Member

[...]

if you're looking for some new adresses, you can also take a look here at Japanese&sushi restaurants Hope this helps

memphis area sushi/japanese Anonymouse Sushi 1 30-04-2006 08:15 PM
Sekisui Southern (southaven) Anonymouse Sushi 7 12-01-2006 09:15 PM
sekisui midtown (memphis) Anonymouse Sushi 8 05-02-2005 07:19 AM
sekisui midtown (memphis) nobody Sushi 0 22-04-2004 10:52 PM
Do Sushi (memphis) Anonymouse Sushi 12 31-03-2004 01:12 AM