Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default I can't reply to any thread that is over a month old

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:

Your news service expired the article?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

I never figured out the news service thing, Dan. I use Google Groups,
as in:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.sushi

and yeah I know that's supposed to be a terrible thing to do... <:-
O ....so then if I used a "news service" to get on here would I be
able to reply to, and draw up, older threads?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:
> I never figured out the news service thing, Dan. I use Google Groups,
> as in:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.sushi

> and yeah I know that's supposed to be a terrible thing to do... <:-
> O ....so then if I used a "news service" to get on here would I be
> able to reply to, and draw up, older threads?

Each service is different for how long they keep articles. My service
goes back as far as 3/26/2009. Others may be longer or shorter.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-06-17 14:00:44 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> wrote:
>> I never figured out the news service thing, Dan. I use Google Groups,
>> as in:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.sushi

>> and yeah I know that's supposed to be a terrible thing to do... <:-
>> O ....so then if I used a "news service" to get on here would I be
>> able to reply to, and draw up, older threads?

> Each service is different for how long they keep articles. My service
> goes back as far as 3/26/2009. Others may be longer or shorter.

Mine's giganews.com it has stored back to 6/2003.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Each service is different for how long they keep articles. *My service
> goes back as far as 3/26/2009. *Others may be longer or shorter.
>
> --
> Dan

The threads seem to all be here going way back, but there's no option
to reply on threads that are over a month old.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Mine's giganews.com it has stored back to 6/2003.

But can you reply to, and draw up, older threads? Anyway, that seems
to be a pay service. I think people have recommended free services
here in the past.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 18, 10:20*am, Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past posted this:>> Mine's giganews.com it has stored back to 6/2003.
>
> > But can you reply to, and draw up, older threads? *Anyway, that seems
> > to be a pay service. I think people have recommended free services
> > here in the past.

> Hey, wwerewolff, motzarella has been recommended before and it's what I use.
> * They are about to change their server name, so go tohttp://www.eternal-september.org/instead. I guess for technical reasons,
> they needed to get the new server address. They require you to register with
> a username & password, but it's still free. Just no binaries ie. pictures &
> files etc. Depending on whether you use Outlook, Thunderbird or some other
> newsreader, there are a few tweaks to be made, but not to difficult.
>
> I can see and post to a post here back to 2-2-09. They seem reliable and I
> can use it with JBN (for those that know what that is) just fine. Good luck.
>
> --
> Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

I am impressed and amazed, Wilson. The Todai thread is the one I had
unsuccessfully tried to respond to. But this whole "newsgroup" thing
continues to befuddle me. I went to eternal-september and signed up,
easy enough, but now what? How do I get back here via there? Duh.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Maybe I have to wait to get email confirmation of my reg. from them
before I can use it, but they might not send it anyway since I only
use online email services and they say something about not accepting
that.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

OK, they did confirm me, and I signed up with my un and pw - and I
still can't figure out how to get from there to here!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 20, 7:45*am, Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past posted this:> OK, they did confirm me, and I signed up with my un and pw - and I
> > still can't figure out how to get from there to here!

> WW, are you using any type of email/newsreader like Outlook or Thunderbird
> (my preference) or do you just use IE to connect to your yahoo account.

Hi, Wilson -

I just use Firefox and Opera, that's it. Never used Outlook or
Thunderbird and don't know why I'd want to.

> I connect to the internet via Time Warner Cable. As my Internet Service
> Provider, they give me a up to 5 POP email accounts. From there, Thunderbird
> lets me set up email or news accounts. Your ISP may have POP email access
> available to you, but you would need to call and then set up the email
> address & password with them. You would also need to know what their POP
> server address is along with their SMTP server address. Sounds technical,
> but that's the nature of computers. You can still use Yahoo until you got
> the bugs worked out with the other.

I never did figure out the whole POP thing. I just use Yahoo for
email and just go straight to it via the above browsers, and as I've
speculated in the past this is an awful lot of trouble just to be able
to drag up an old thread about raw fish, but thanks for helping all
the same!