Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default where is everyone?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:24:51 -0500, "Musashi"
> wrote:

> California Rolls are not the only "new" types of sushi to be found.
> There are a handful of "fusion" type places that have created many
> new non-traditional sushi dishes.

Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.

And many times, they are named after the city or state location where
they are served, and often aren't available anywhere else. So here in
Tucson, several sushi bars serve Tucson rolls, and probably few, if
any, other participants here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.

I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't have a
Tucson roll. ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>Nick Cramer wrote:

>>>[ . . . ]
>>>"De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum."

>>Speaking of which, we took my son out for his 7th birthday.
>>Of course he wanted sushi.. He continues to impress the sushi chef
>>that he (and my daughter) love ankimo and saba. This evening they
>>had kohoada, and he liked that too.

> Good lad, dad! Happy Birthday, youngster!

Yeah, he's a good eater.. loves sushi!

> Has he tried raw Kumamotos? Mmmm!

He hasn't tried oysters yet. I've had the Kumas. They are
ok. I prefer East Coast oysters.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > Do people eat Kai Ake (sp?) in Japan?

> I've never heard of Kai Ake Nick. Could you describe what it is?

LOL I guess they don't eat it in Japan, eh? When we used to eat at a 2nd
teir sushiya, my daughter used to order this. I think it was scallops in a
Kewpie-based sauce. When I took her to Asanebo, in Studio City, she asked
for it. Itamae said, "Sorry. We don't make stuff like that!"

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken wrote on Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:34:56 -0700:

>> California Rolls are not the only "new" types of sushi to be
>> found. There are a handful of "fusion" type places that have
>> created many new non-traditional sushi dishes.

> Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.

> And many times, they are named after the city or state
> location where they are served, and often aren't available
> anywhere else. So here in Tucson, several sushi bars serve
> Tucson rolls, and probably few, if any, other participants
> here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.

> I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't
> have a Tucson roll. ;-)

Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
producing a feeling of nausea in me!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:48:43 -0500, in alt.food.sushi "James
Silverton" > wrote:

> Ken wrote on Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:34:56 -0700:
>
> >> California Rolls are not the only "new" types of sushi to be
> >> found. There are a handful of "fusion" type places that have
> >> created many new non-traditional sushi dishes.

> > Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.

> > And many times, they are named after the city or state
> > location where they are served, and often aren't available
> > anywhere else. So here in Tucson, several sushi bars serve
> > Tucson rolls, and probably few, if any, other participants
> > here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.

> > I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't
> > have a Tucson roll. ;-)

> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
> or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
> some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
> think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
> proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I
don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I don't have any
problem eating something that's not traditional if I like it anyway
(see below), but as I think I said earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of
any kind (except for salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't
like rolls anywhere near as much as nigiri.

Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
with the following nigiri:

maguro
hamachi
sake
tai
albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
what it is?)
unagi
tako
ika
hokkigai

and with those, I drank sake (which, as I know, is not traditional
with sushi, but I like it anyway).

By the way, two of my favorite kinds of nigiri are mirugai and
torigai, neither of which I ever see in Tucson these days.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken wrote on Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:26:49 -0700:

> >> Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.

> >> And many times, they are named after the city or state
> >> location where they are served, and often aren't available
> >> anywhere else. So here in Tucson, several sushi bars serve
> >> Tucson rolls, and probably few, if any, other participants
> >> here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.

> >> I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't
> >> have a Tucson roll. ;-)

>> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls
>> with fish or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not
>> very traditional but some taste good and indicate that
>> evolution has not stopped in sushi. I think I have mentioned
>> an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is proud of:- his
>> "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
>> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

> I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they
> are. I don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I
> don't have any problem eating something that's not traditional
> if I like it anyway (see below), but as I think I said
> earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of any kind (except for
> salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't like rolls
> anywhere near as much as nigiri.

> Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki
> along with the following nigiri:

> maguro
> hamachi
> sake
> tai
> albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> what it is?)
> unagi
> tako
> ika
> hokkigai

> and with those, I drank sake (which, as I know, is not
> traditional with sushi, but I like it anyway).

> By the way, two of my favorite kinds of nigiri are mirugai and
> torigai, neither of which I ever see in Tucson these days.

To each their own of course! I wish I could eat so much since most
nigiri that I eat comes as two pieces. I tend to forget Japanese names
since I speak no Japanese and I rather like the ubiquitous Kirin crib
sheets. I think the roll names are often made up on the spur of the
moment. Last time, I think I saw 5 Japanese cities used!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
> with the following nigiri:
>
> maguro
> hamachi
> sake
> tai
> albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> what it is?)

Binchou Maguro, or Bincho is how its called. I've also seen it call Shiro Maguro.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:33:46 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Ken wrote on Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:26:49 -0700:
>

> > Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki
> > along with the following nigiri:

> > maguro
> > hamachi
> > sake
> > tai
> > albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> > what it is?)
> > unagi
> > tako
> > ika
> > hokkigai

> > and with those, I drank sake (which, as I know, is not
> > traditional with sushi, but I like it anyway).

> > By the way, two of my favorite kinds of nigiri are mirugai and
> > torigai, neither of which I ever see in Tucson these days.

> To each their own of course!

Of course.

> I wish I could eat so much since most
> nigiri that I eat comes as two pieces.

Sure. These were are two pieces. Yes, I ate too much, I know. But I
really enjoyed it. ;-)

> I tend to forget Japanese names
> since I speak no Japanese

I also speak almost no Japanese. I can count to ten and I know the
name of several things to eat; that's all.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:39:40 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:

> > albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> > what it is?)

> Binchou Maguro, or Bincho is how its called. I've also seen it call Shiro Maguro.

Thanks very much. And I now remember that I've seen it called shiro
maguro.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi
JP JP is offline

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:48:43 -0500, in alt.food.sushi "James
> Silverton" > wrote:

>>> Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.
>>> And many times, they are named after the city or state
>>> location where they are served, and often aren't available
>>> anywhere else. So here in Tucson, several sushi bars serve
>>> Tucson rolls, and probably few, if any, other participants
>>> here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.
>>> I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't
>>> have a Tucson roll. ;-)

>> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
>> or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
>> some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
>> think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
>> proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
>> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

> I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I
> don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I don't have any
> problem eating something that's not traditional if I like it anyway
> (see below), but as I think I said earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of
> any kind (except for salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't
> like rolls anywhere near as much as nigiri.
>
> Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
> with the following nigiri:
>
> maguro
> hamachi
> sake
> tai
> albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> what it is?)
> unagi
> tako
> ika
> hokkigai
>
> and with those, I drank sake (which, as I know, is not traditional
> with sushi, but I like it anyway).
>
> By the way, two of my favorite kinds of nigiri are mirugai and
> torigai, neither of which I ever see in Tucson these days.

How much was your bill?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:13:57 -0500, JP > wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:48:43 -0500, in alt.food.sushi "James
> > Silverton" > wrote:

> >> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
> >> or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
> >> some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
> >> think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
> >> proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
> >> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

> > I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I
> > don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I don't have any
> > problem eating something that's not traditional if I like it anyway
> > (see below), but as I think I said earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of
> > any kind (except for salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't
> > like rolls anywhere near as much as nigiri.
> >
> > Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
> > with the following nigiri:
> >
> > maguro
> > hamachi
> > sake
> > tai
> > albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> > what it is?)
> > unagi
> > tako
> > ika
> > hokkigai
> >
> > and with those, I drank sake (which, as I know, is not traditional
> > with sushi, but I like it anyway).
> >
> > By the way, two of my favorite kinds of nigiri are mirugai and
> > torigai, neither of which I ever see in Tucson these days.
> >

> How much was your bill?

I don't recall exactly, but it was about $55.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:48:43 -0500, in alt.food.sushi "James
> Silverton" > wrote:

>> > Right, and typically they are rolls, not nigiri.

>> > And many times, they are named after the city or state
>> > location where they are served, and often aren't available
>> > anywhere else. So here in Tucson, several sushi bars serve
>> > Tucson rolls, and probably few, if any, other participants
>> > here, have ever seen a Tucson roll.

>> > I'm off to a local sushi bar in a few minutes, but I won't
>> > have a Tucson roll. ;-)

>> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
>> or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
>> some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
>> think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
>> proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
>> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

> I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I
> don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I don't have any
> problem eating something that's not traditional if I like it anyway
> (see below), but as I think I said earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of
> any kind (except for salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't
> like rolls anywhere near as much as nigiri.
>
> Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
> with the following nigiri:
>
> maguro
> hamachi
> sake
> tai
> albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> what it is?)

Albacore is Shiro Maguro or Bin-cho Maguro or Bin-naga Maguro.

M.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > Do people eat Kai Ake (sp?) in Japan?

>> I've never heard of Kai Ake Nick. Could you describe what it is?

> LOL I guess they don't eat it in Japan, eh? When we used to eat at a 2nd
> teir sushiya, my daughter used to order this. I think it was scallops in a
> Kewpie-based sauce. When I took her to Asanebo, in Studio City, she asked
> for it. Itamae said, "Sorry. We don't make stuff like that!"

Never heard of it. The name sounds more Hawaiian, only
because it doesn't make any sense in Japanese.
Perhaps it was an original dish of the restaurant?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:07:59 -0500, "Musashi"
> wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:48:43 -0500, in alt.food.sushi "James
> > Silverton" > wrote:

> >> Have you seen Tokyo, Dragon, Kyoto and many other named rolls with fish
> >> or caviar on the outside? I suspect they are not very traditional but
> >> some taste good and indicate that evolution has not stopped in sushi. I
> >> think I have mentioned an invention that one of my favorite Itamaes is
> >> proud of:- his "marine roll", colored light blue, tasting quite good but
> >> producing a feeling of nausea in me!

> > I've seen Dragon rolls, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I
> > don't remember seeing the names Tokyo or Kyoto rolls. I don't have any
> > problem eating something that's not traditional if I like it anyway
> > (see below), but as I think I said earlier, I hardly ever eat rolls of
> > any kind (except for salmon skin hand rolls) because I generally don't
> > like rolls anywhere near as much as nigiri.
> >
> > Last night, I had a salmon skin hand roll and uni gunkanmaki along
> > with the following nigiri:
> >
> > maguro
> > hamachi
> > sake
> > tai
> > albacore (I don't know the Japanese name, can someone tell me
> > what it is?)

> Albacore is Shiro Maguro or Bin-cho Maguro or Bin-naga Maguro.

Thanks.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Musashi" > wrote:
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> [ . . . ]

> >> I've never heard of Kai Ake Nick. Could you describe what it is?

> > LOL I guess they don't eat it in Japan, eh? When we used to eat at a
> > 2nd teir sushiya, my daughter used to order this. I think it was
> > scallops in a Kewpie-based sauce. When I took her to Asanebo, in Studio
> > City, she asked for it. Itamae said, "Sorry. We don't make stuff like
> > that!"

> Never heard of it. The name sounds more Hawaiian, only
> because it doesn't make any sense in Japanese.
> Perhaps it was an original dish of the restaurant?

I don't know, Takezo. She had it at several sushiya in the Los Angeles
area. I never tasted it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:

>> > LOL I guess they don't eat it in Japan, eh? When we used to eat at a
>> > 2nd teir sushiya, my daughter used to order this. I think it was
>> > scallops in a Kewpie-based sauce. When I took her to Asanebo, in Studio
>> > City, she asked for it. Itamae said, "Sorry. We don't make stuff like
>> > that!"

>> Never heard of it. The name sounds more Hawaiian, only
>> because it doesn't make any sense in Japanese.
>> Perhaps it was an original dish of the restaurant?

> I don't know, Takezo. She had it at several sushiya in the Los Angeles
> area. I never tasted it.

Nick, if you ever run accross a photo of it please let me know.
If your daughter has had it in several places then perhaps it's
a US West Coast Japanese-American creation.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-02-18 11:48:44 -0500, Dan Logcher > said:

> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Speaking of which, we took my son out for his 7th birthday.
>>> Of course he wanted sushi.. He continues to impress the sushi chef that
>>> he (and my daughter) love ankimo and saba. This
>>> evening they had kohoada, and he liked that too.

>> I'm impressed especially if your kids know what those names mean, unlike me :-)

> Well I think they know they like the food associated with the name.
> I don't know if they know what the English to Japanese translation is..
> but I can check.

Would you, Don? I can't tell you how much we all would appreciate your
doing that.
Thank you so much for your tireless efforts to make our lives more enjoyable.
You're a good, good man, Don-San.

Leroy aka "Förbundsrepubliken Jugoslavien cook" to my Swedish friends

Posted to alt.food.sushi

LeRoy Blue wrote:
> On 2009-02-18 11:48:44 -0500, Dan Logcher >
> said:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> I'm impressed especially if your kids know what those names mean,
>>> unlike me :-)

>> Well I think they know they like the food associated with the name.
>> I don't know if they know what the English to Japanese translation is..
>> but I can check.

> Would you, Don? I can't tell you how much we all would appreciate your
> doing that.
> Thank you so much for your tireless efforts to make our lives more
> enjoyable.
> You're a good, good man, Don-San.
>
> Leroy aka "Förbundsrepubliken Jugoslavien cook" to my Swedish friends

Ha ha! Fry Cook resurfaces to reply to a year old post! Nice!
But it seems your eyesight has worsened over the years.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-09-30 09:18:49 -0400, Dan Logcher > said:

> LeRoy Blue wrote:

>>> Well I think they know they like the food associated with the name.
>>> I don't know if they know what the English to Japanese translation is..
>>> but I can check.

>> Would you, Don? I can't tell you how much we all would appreciate your
>> doing that.
>> Thank you so much for your tireless efforts to make our lives more enjoyable.
>> You're a good, good man, Don-San.
>>
>> Leroy aka "Förbundsrepubliken Jugoslavien cook" to my Swedish friends

> Ha ha! Fry Cook resurfaces to reply to a year old post! Nice!
> But it seems your eyesight has worsened over the years.

But Don-San, you know that I always enjoyed reading your authoritative
and tremendously
informative post so it's reasonable that I start at the point I did so
that I can catch up, so to speak,
on all the good stuff you have been posting while I was away (has it
really been five years, Don?).
I can clearly see that you still have the seat of Honor in
Alt.Food.Sushi and that you are still universally
admired by all who have answered the siren call of Sushi in the US.

Leroy aka "кашевар fry", to my comrades in Moscow.