Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default How much fish?

When you make your own, how many ounces of raw fish do you plan per
person? Since you decide how to make it, what is your fish/rice
ratio?

Before being a nation of big butts, steak dinners used to be 4 to 6
ounces of beek. They used to advertise 8 oz. beef steak dinners as a
special.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> When you make your own, how many ounces of raw fish do you plan per
> person? Since you decide how to make it, what is your fish/rice
> ratio?

Basically you don't need much. Eyeballing is better method than weight because it depends on the piece how many sushi pieces you can make. It also depends on the variety and how many pieces per person you are going to serve.

I always buy too much because I like variety and we end up eating even 20-30 per person. Usually the number of ingredients grow with the number of diners so if you make sushi for 2 it does not make sense to buy 6 types of fish.

I usually use 0.7 - 1 liters of uncooked rice (don't know the weight) and with that you can stuff 4-6 persons very well.

Most often I buy whole fish, except salmon. (I don't buy tuna anymore because it is about to be extinct.) Two big fillets is often too much so I freeze the other or even 3/4 of the fish. Freezing instead of refridgerating is sometimes a good idea even if you need the fish next day. I also buy a few expensive ingredients and use mostly cheaper ones - this of course doesn't mean compromizing the quality.

Also sushi is not just fish and rice and often a bit boring if it is. There is variety of non-fish sushi like kappa-maki (cucumber), inari sushi (fried tofu), tamago (egg), etc. Also scallop is very good as well as roe(s) and shrimp.

***

If you don't keep the leftovers in room temperature too long you can make a good mixed fish soup, a bouillabaisseish or a solyankaish, the next day. And whatever you do, save the fishbones and make a stock.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> If you don't keep the leftovers in room temperature too long you can make a good mixed fish soup,

This of course means the leftover fish not used in sushi.

Any leftover sushi, however, is biowaste. Therefore I usually make about 12 pieces per person and then more as required. That way I can minimize the waste which usually is just rice and a few nori 'bands'.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote:
>>If you don't keep the leftovers in room temperature too long you can make a good mixed fish soup,

> This of course means the leftover fish not used in sushi.
>
> Any leftover sushi, however, is biowaste. Therefore I usually make about 12 pieces per person and then more as required. That way I can minimize the waste which usually is just rice and a few nori 'bands'.

Yeah, tossing or saving rice is not a big deal, but tossing extra sushi is just wrong

You can make plenty of rice, and be prepped to make more if needed.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Armadillo wrote:
>>> If you don't keep the leftovers in room temperature too long you can
>>> make a good mixed fish soup,

>> This of course means the leftover fish not used in sushi.
>>
>> Any leftover sushi, however, is biowaste. Therefore I usually make
>> about 12 pieces per person and then more as required. That way I can
>> minimize the waste which usually is just rice and a few nori 'bands'.

> Yeah, tossing or saving rice is not a big deal, but tossing extra sushi
> is just wrong
>
> You can make plenty of rice, and be prepped to make more if needed.

If I find I have leftover fish that I don't want to eat raw, I just cook
it and eat it that way. It's still good (and a treat for my cat in the
event I don't want it).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog