Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default => DNA testing uncovers phony sushi <=

Anonymous wrote:
> (Sorry, I can only enter one newsgroup at a time: please
> restore cross posts to aus.legal, can.legal, japan.fishing,
> misc.legal, uk.legal .)

Why not just keep it in the group that makes the most sense..
alt.food.sushi. I'm not interested in the *.legal groups myself.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Local fish names are extremely confusing to begin with. How many
completely different kinds of creatures are referred to as white fish
or black fish or dolphin or tuna, etc.? I know I've seen completely
different fish labeled "white tuna" at the Todai.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
> Local fish names are extremely confusing to begin with. How many
> completely different kinds of creatures are referred to as white fish
> or black fish or dolphin or tuna, etc.? I know I've seen completely
> different fish labeled "white tuna" at the Todai.

Yes, it gets to the point where every fish label needs the scientific name
printed on it.
The differences in local names for the same species, that a speies may have
multiple names even
locally combined with the tendency of the fish marketing world to "create"
names for new fish
sounding similar to already familar names, combined with both actual
confusion and unintended
mislabeling as well as deliberate mislabeling to a higher priced fish all
adds up to a need to standardize fish
names.
Unfortuately the fish-name issue goes even beyond food fish and government
authorities are just as much
to blame for adding to the confusion.

Musashi