Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default supermarket sushi tray

Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? Is anyone
frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
> Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? Is anyone
> frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?

I see most people using the clear plastic cover for the soy sauce.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>>Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? Is anyone
>>frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?

> I see most people using the clear plastic cover for the soy sauce.

I have soy dishes at home and work, but at other places I use the lid.
I don't get super market sushi that much, cuz its never as good as going
to a real sushi bar.. and leaves me wanting the good stuff.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? Is anyone
>>>frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?

>> I see most people using the clear plastic cover for the soy sauce.

> I have soy dishes at home and work, but at other places I use the lid.
> I don't get super market sushi that much, cuz its never as good as going
> to a real sushi bar.. and leaves me wanting the good stuff.

I agree. Supermnarket sushi for the most part is
in a different category than the "serious" stuff.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-08-18 14:25:31 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

>>> I see most people using the clear plastic cover for the soy sauce.

>> I have soy dishes at home and work, but at other places I use the lid.
>> I don't get super market sushi that much, cuz its never as good as going
>> to a real sushi bar.. and leaves me wanting the good stuff.

Same perspective I have on a lot of quick-serve restaurants. They leave
me wanting food, but they don't leave me hungry which is usually my
reason for going.

> I agree. Supermnarket sushi for the most part is
> in a different category than the "serious" stuff.

"For the most part"? It's always a different category--just the
"delivery system" alone so defines it.

On the other hand sometimes I need a quick bite and among the many
things that are offered to folks on the highways and by-ways is fried
chicken, fried burgers, fried potatos, fried tacos, deli-sandwich or
banh mi, pizza, and around a corner here or there the occasional greasy
bowl of noodles. One or two of these a month makes vending machine
sushi look pretty appetizing.

On occasion a selection of sushi from a supermarket tastes really good,
as does a hamburger from Burger King or a hot dog from Wienerschnitzel.
That doesn't mean it's "good" per se and I can attack and villify it
in 3 or 4 different ways. None are "serious" food. But then for lunch,
especially on the run, I can afford to be non-serious.

Nobody here picks up supermarket sushi when the outlet is located next
to a sushi bar. It's not that kind of selection. It's between
supermarket sushi and supermarket lasagna, quite likely.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I gotta agree with you there. The only supermarket I know of that
serves sushi is actually 2 spots down from a "real" sushi bar so I
never buy sushi there, but it's not close anyways. However, there
are no really good sushi places in the immediate vicinity where I
work. As such when I want good sushi I have to drive into a
neighboring city. There is however, a small Japanese restaurant right
down the road. They have a limited sushi selection, and very cheap
prices. It doesn't compare in any way to what I'd get at a real sushi
bar, but if I feel like sushi for lunch, it's my only choice. And
honestly, as you said, compared to a lot of other options like burgers
and the like, their stuff is tolerable. Heck their spider roll is
damned good (cheap places are good at frying stuff ).

Mike
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 18, 3:19*pm, wrote:
> Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? *Is anyone
> frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?

Supermarket sushi is like a junkies bad street fix but I'll eat it.
Just dab wasabi on top and drizzle soy sauce on the whole mess.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 18, 12:19*pm, wrote:
> Hey, does anyone else here buy supermarket sushi? *Is anyone
> frustrated with the lack of a place to put the soy sauce?

I have a red sushi set at home. Whenever I buy a package of sushi at
Safeway, I place the content on my set. The sushi looks so much
better on the dinnerware.
Member

when you work really late, for example i dj'd at a bar for two years and it was either the taco place next door or the Ralph's down from my place...

Finding anything at 3am is tough as it is, finding anything somewhat healthy and non-greasy, almost impossible.. thank you neighborhood ralph's, your sushi may not be very tasty, but it fills me up and doesn't have me hurting the next day.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

bob reeves > wrote:
> when you work really late, for example i dj'd at a bar for two years and
> it was either the taco place next door or the Ralph's down from my
> place...
>
> Finding anything at 3am is tough as it is, finding anything somewhat
> healthy and non-greasy, almost impossible.. thank you neighborhood
> ralph's, your sushi may not be very tasty, but it fills me up and
> doesn't have me hurting the next day.

Yep. The Ralph's in Burbank CA has some decent sushi trays, too. I can also
pick up a bottle of good-enough Sake to have with it.

My wife has found a sushiya run by some of her fellow Thais. She brings me
a nice mixed sashimi tray once a week. Not at 3 AM!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.