Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Authentic Japanese Restaurants

Some time ago there was an effort being made to create
some sort of standard for what the Japanese government
considered "Authentic" Japanese cuisine. It seems that
while that effort did not take off as envisioned, it seems to have been
realized through Zagat."

NEW YORK -
Travel and dining guide publisher Zagat Survey LLC has released a guide to
the best Japanese restaurants in the United States. New York-based Zagat
compiled ''America's Top Japanese Restaurants'' at the request of the
Organization to Promote Japanese Restaurants Abroad (JRO), a nonprofit
Japanese organization tasked with promoting authentic Japanese food among
overseas diners, said Tim Zagat, chief executive officer of the guide
empire.

(More)

http://www.japantoday.com/category/l...staurant-guide

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:36:35 -0400:

> NEW YORK -
> Travel and dining guide publisher Zagat Survey LLC has
> released a guide to the best Japanese restaurants in the
> United States. New York-based Zagat compiled ''America's Top
> Japanese Restaurants'' at the request of the Organization to
> Promote Japanese Restaurants Abroad (JRO), a nonprofit
> Japanese organization tasked with promoting authentic Japanese
> food among overseas diners, said Tim Zagat, chief executive
> officer of the guide empire.

> (More)

Oh! Please tell how I go about getting or viewing the guide? The
URL doesn't give much information, AFAICT.

I'm not really enamored of foreign government or official
guides. They often strike me as similar to French efforts to
restrict the name "Champagne" in other countries while allowing
the French growers to expand as they will!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:36:35 -0400:
>
>> NEW YORK -
>> Travel and dining guide publisher Zagat Survey LLC has
>> released a guide to the best Japanese restaurants in the
>> United States. New York-based Zagat compiled ''America's Top
>> Japanese Restaurants'' at the request of the Organization to
>> Promote Japanese Restaurants Abroad (JRO), a nonprofit Japanese
>> organization tasked with promoting authentic Japanese
>> food among overseas diners, said Tim Zagat, chief executive
>> officer of the guide empire.

>> (More)

> Oh! Please tell how I go about getting or viewing the guide? The URL
> doesn't give much information, AFAICT.
>
> I'm not really enamored of foreign government or official guides. They
> often strike me as similar to French efforts to restrict the name
> "Champagne" in other countries while allowing the French growers to expand
> as they will!
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

"The guide is available online at zagat.com as part of a special promotion.
Customers may request a hard copy at the Japanese restaurants listed in the
guide, totaling about 800, according to the publisher."

However, I haven't been able to find this list on the Zagat site either.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> Musashi wrote on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:36:35 -0400:
>>
>>> NEW YORK -
>>> Travel and dining guide publisher Zagat Survey LLC has
>>> released a guide to the best Japanese restaurants in the
>>> United States. New York-based Zagat compiled ''America's Top
>>> Japanese Restaurants'' at the request of the Organization to
>>> Promote Japanese Restaurants Abroad (JRO), a nonprofit Japanese
>>> organization tasked with promoting authentic Japanese
>>> food among overseas diners, said Tim Zagat, chief executive
>>> officer of the guide empire.
>>> (More)

>> Oh! Please tell how I go about getting or viewing the guide? The URL
>> doesn't give much information, AFAICT.
>>
>> I'm not really enamored of foreign government or official guides. They
>> often strike me as similar to French efforts to restrict the name
>> "Champagne" in other countries while allowing the French growers to expand
>> as they will!
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> "The guide is available online at zagat.com as part of a special promotion.
> Customers may request a hard copy at the Japanese restaurants listed in the
> guide, totaling about 800, according to the publisher."
>
> However, I haven't been able to find this list on the Zagat site either.
>
> Musashi

I touched on this in:
http://sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/2008/...ushi-police-0/

I need to do some follow up, but it's funny that they got Zagat involved

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog

Best Japanese restaurants in Los Angeles and Torrance [email protected] Restaurants 0 18-09-2006 12:57 AM
Authentic Bar B Q! Piedmont Barbecue 5 04-02-2005 04:55 AM
ISO: AYCE Japanese Restaurants (Vancouver) Re 2003-10-28 11:42:15 PST post [email protected] Sushi 70 28-07-2004 02:29 PM
ISO: AYCE Japanese Restaurants (Vancouver) Red Snapper Sushi 11 22-07-2004 09:24 PM
Japanese restaurants in Portland OR Anonymous Restaurants 3 15-01-2004 09:27 PM