Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Tartarki

Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD. I asked
Tony at the sushi section to make me something special. They only
have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel. Tony is Chinese but got his
training at a Japanese restaurant. It took him several minutes but he
made me something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up salmon
and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces including a touch
of hot sauce.

Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts of menu.
Anyone have more info on tartarki?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:

> Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD. I asked
> Tony at the sushi section to make me something special. They only
> have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel. Tony is Chinese but got his
> training at a Japanese restaurant. It took him several minutes but he
> made me something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up salmon
> and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces including a touch
> of hot sauce.
>
> Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts of menu.
> Anyone have more info on tartarki?

You sure that wasn't salmon/eel takaki? I've had tuna tataki with tahini
sauce and scallions.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 21:17:39 -0400:

>> Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD.
>> I asked Tony at the sushi section to make me something
>> special. They only have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel.
>> Tony is Chinese but got his training at a Japanese
>> restaurant. It took him several minutes but he made me
>> something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up
>> salmon and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces
>> including a touch of hot sauce.
>>
>> Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts
>> of menu. Anyone have more info on tartarki?

> You sure that wasn't salmon/eel takaki? I've had tuna tataki
> with tahini sauce and scallions.

The original sounds like tataki tho' that's usually made from
bonito according to David Lowry's book on sushi. It's supposed
to be pounded and finely chopped fish served almost raw. I've
had what was called tuna tataki, which was lightly seared tuna,
served over noodles and sliced very thin but not chopped.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-05-25 16:10:05 -0700, James > said:

> Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD. I asked
> Tony at the sushi section to make me something special. They only
> have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel. Tony is Chinese but got his
> training at a Japanese restaurant. It took him several minutes but he
> made me something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up salmon
> and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces including a touch
> of hot sauce.
>
> Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts of menu.
> Anyone have more info on tartarki?

It many other settings that would be called a "hodge-podge", "goulash"
or "blind-swing". I think the names is a "merging of tartar and tataki.
Isn't that cute? Tartarki.

Sounds thoroughly un-Japanese.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:17:44 -0700, Gerry >
wrote:

>On 2008-05-25 16:10:05 -0700, James > said:
>
>> Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD. I asked
>> Tony at the sushi section to make me something special. They only
>> have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel. Tony is Chinese but got his
>> training at a Japanese restaurant. It took him several minutes but he
>> made me something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up salmon
>> and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces including a touch
>> of hot sauce.
>>
>> Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts of menu.
>> Anyone have more info on tartarki?

>It many other settings that would be called a "hodge-podge", "goulash"
>or "blind-swing". I think the names is a "merging of tartar and tataki.
>Isn't that cute? Tartarki.
>
>Sounds thoroughly un-Japanese.

only salmon, tuna, avocado, and eel? i'd think that if mcdonald's or
jack in the box offered sushi they'd have more selection than that!

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> On 2008-05-25 16:10:05 -0700, James > said:
>
>> Today I went to the Blue Pearl Buffet in Silver Spring, MD. I asked
>> Tony at the sushi section to make me something special. They only
>> have salmon, tuna, avacado, and eel. Tony is Chinese but got his
>> training at a Japanese restaurant. It took him several minutes but he
>> made me something pretty good called tartarki. It's chopped up salmon
>> and eel with a bit of cilantro and different sauces including a touch
>> of hot sauce.
>>
>> Googling tartarki got only 20 hits and most were just parts of menu.
>> Anyone have more info on tartarki?

> It many other settings that would be called a "hodge-podge", "goulash" or
> "blind-swing". I think the names is a "merging of tartar and tataki. Isn't
> that cute? Tartarki.
>
> Sounds thoroughly un-Japanese.
> --

I agree completely. Sounds like a mix of Tataki and Tartar.
Probably refering to the chopped up raw salmon
being somewhat like "Steak Tartare" and the Japanese "Tataki" which
can mean seared on the outside only (as in Katsuo) or chopped up in
raw form (as in Aji). If think it sounds thoroughly un-Japanese and
un-English, but I admit it's clever. But It does sound like a Greek surname.

As a sideline, both Steak Tartare and the creamy Tartar sauce used on
fried fish are called Steeki Tarutaru and Tarutaru Soosu in Japan.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On May 27, 2:28*am, barry > wrote:

> only salmon, tuna, avocado, and eel? *i'd think that if mcdonald's or
> jack in the box offered sushi they'd have more selection than that!
>
> --------
> "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"- Hide quoted text -

It's not bad for a Chinese all you can eat buffet. Some of them have
sushi that even I wouldn't eat.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote on Tue, 27 May 2008 07:50:50 -0700 (PDT):

>> only salmon, tuna, avocado, and eel? i'd think that if
>> mcdonald's or jack in the box offered sushi they'd have more
>> selection than that!
>>
>> --------
>> "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"-

> It's not bad for a Chinese all you can eat buffet. Some of
> them have sushi that even I wouldn't eat.

I've yet to try a *Chinese* AYCE buffet that served sushi that
I'd bother with. That's not to say that their other offerings
are bad, I've had very acceptable Dim Sun at a local place. Some
truly Japanese places are not at all bad, IMHO, tho' portions
tend to be a little meager and they take a dim view of people
who leave the rice.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:08:58 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>I've yet to try a *Chinese* AYCE buffet that served sushi that
>I'd bother with. That's not to say that their other offerings
>are bad, I've had very acceptable Dim Sun at a local place. Some
>truly Japanese places are not at all bad, IMHO, tho' portions
>tend to be a little meager and they take a dim view of people
>who leave the rice.

In Chinese run places, I see that the sushi is usually something that
looks and tastes like it was an after-thought. The meat is almost
always nasty looking and dried to the point of being much darker at
the sides and corners and that substance they call rice under the
Nigiri and in the rolls is chewy, pasty, sometimes crunchy stuff that
my cat would walk away from.

However, there are exceptions.

The place I posted about here called "Wasabi's" in Jacksonville,
Florida.

The sushi there isn't Japanese quality, but it's "ok" and sometimes
pretty good. The rice is done well and the portions are balanced, with
more neta at the end of the line if you want more. The meat is always
fresh looking and tasting and the place is popular with Japanese
families.

If you can find a place like this that you're happy with, it's a good
find.

$20 AYCE when I don't want to part with $50-80 bucks at a better
place.