Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Octopus for sushi

Hello, All!

I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in
NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for
preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock
salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi
for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello, All!
>
> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in NYC and
> Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for preparing
> octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of
> the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize ("traditionally with a
> large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!

No, tako is par-boiled sushi.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:35:44 -0400:

??>> Hello, All!
??>>
??>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of
??>> restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He
??>> gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi. This
??>> involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the slime
??>> that coats it, beating to tenderize ("traditionally with a
??>> large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi for 1 1/2 hours!
??>> It's not raw fish!

DL> No, tako is par-boiled sushi.

Well boiled, I'd say!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:35:44 -0400:
>
> ??>> Hello, All!
> ??>>
> ??>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of
> ??>> restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He
> ??>> gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi. This
> ??>> involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the slime
> ??>> that coats it, beating to tenderize ("traditionally with a
> ??>> large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi for 1 1/2 hours!
> ??>> It's not raw fish!
>
> DL> No, tako is par-boiled sushi.
>
> Well boiled, I'd say!

Should only be par-boiled..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:55:08 -0400:

DL> James Silverton wrote:
??>> Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:35:44 -0400:
??>>
??>>>> Hello, All!
??>>>>
??>>>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of
??>>>> restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today .
??>>>> He gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi.
??>>>> This involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the
??>>>> slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
??>>>> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in
??>>>> dashi for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
??>>
DL>>> No, tako is par-boiled sushi.
??>>
??>> Well boiled, I'd say!

DL> Should only be par-boiled..

If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I hate
to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw! :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:55:08 -0400:
>
> DL> James Silverton wrote:
> ??>> Dan wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:35:44 -0400:
> ??>>
> ??>>>> Hello, All!
> ??>>>>
> ??>>>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of
> ??>>>> restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today .
> ??>>>> He gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi.
> ??>>>> This involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the
> ??>>>> slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
> ??>>>> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in
> ??>>>> dashi for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
> ??>>
> ??>>
> ??>> Well boiled, I'd say!
>
> DL> Should only be par-boiled..
>
> If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I hate to
> think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw! :-)

That recipe sounds rather excessive to me.. I had thought tako was par-boiled
for 2 minutes or so. Not close to 2 hours. But maybe Morimotu knows some
secret to it.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All!
>
> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in
> NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for
> preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock
> salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi
> for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in
> NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for
> preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock
> salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi
> for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Yes, Tako is neither raw nor a fish.
Traditionally it is used boiled.
That said, in some of the top Japanese restaurants you may find actual "raw"
tako.
Both Hatsuhana and Sushiden in Manhattan
often have this. Usually it's served as "Nama Dako" (raw tako) a sashimi
appetizer.

"If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I hate
to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw! :-)"

Contrary to what you might expect, in raw form
Tako is very tender and nothing like when cooked.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:

M> Yes, Tako is neither raw nor a fish.
M> Traditionally it is used boiled.
M> That said, in some of the top Japanese restaurants you may
M> find actual "raw" tako.
M> Both Hatsuhana and Sushiden in Manhattan
M> often have this. Usually it's served as "Nama Dako" (raw
M> tako) a sashimi appetizer.

M> "If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I
M> hate to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw!
M> :-)"

M> Contrary to what you might expect, in raw form
M> Tako is very tender and nothing like when cooked.

Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think I've ever
seen the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most intrigued by the
picture in Maramatu Morimotu's book of a large diakon actually
being used for tenderizing!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:
>

> M> Yes, Tako is neither raw nor a fish.
> M> Traditionally it is used boiled.
> M> That said, in some of the top Japanese restaurants you may
> M> find actual "raw" tako.
> M> Both Hatsuhana and Sushiden in Manhattan
> M> often have this. Usually it's served as "Nama Dako" (raw
> M> tako) a sashimi appetizer.
>
> M> "If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I
> M> hate to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw!
> M> :-)"
>
> M> Contrary to what you might expect, in raw form
> M> Tako is very tender and nothing like when cooked.
>
> Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think I've ever
> seen the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most intrigued by the
> picture in Maramatu Morimotu's book of a large diakon actually
> being used for tenderizing!

It occurred to me later that the "shokkan" (tasting consistency, texture) of
cooked and
raw Tako is very very similar to the difference between cooked clams and raw
clams.
I should have mentioned this.
In both NY places where I've had it, it wasn't on the menu.
It may be worth asking if they have Nama Dako.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. net...

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message
>> Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:
>>

> It occurred to me later that the "shokkan" (tasting
> consistency, texture) of
> cooked and
> raw Tako is very very similar to the difference between cooked
> clams and raw
> clams.
> I should have mentioned this.
> In both NY places where I've had it, it wasn't on the menu.
> It may be worth asking if they have Nama Dako.

I'm not sure if I have ever tried raw and cooked clams in a
sushi restaurant. Recently, the only ones I have had were
so-called surf clams and those, I think, were raw. I have had
cooked clams in regular cuisine (clam chowder especially) and I
would say that the texture of the clams was firmer than the
clams at the sushi bar. However, that's not a real comparison
since the species would be different, I suppose.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Buddy wrote:

> here's James Silverton's last post ->:
>
>> Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:
>>

>> M> Yes, Tako is neither raw nor a fish.
>> M> Traditionally it is used boiled.
>> M> That said, in some of the top Japanese restaurants you may
>> M> find actual "raw" tako.
>> M> Both Hatsuhana and Sushiden in Manhattan
>> M> often have this. Usually it's served as "Nama Dako" (raw
>> M> tako) a sashimi appetizer.
>>
>> M> "If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I
>> M> hate to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw!
>> M> :-)"
>>
>> M> Contrary to what you might expect, in raw form
>> M> Tako is very tender and nothing like when cooked.
>>
>> Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think I've ever seen
>> the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most intrigued by the picture in
>> Maramatu Morimotu's book of a large diakon actually being used for
>> tenderizing!
>>

>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> Watching Andrew Zimmern & Anthony Bourdain on the cooking show a couple
> of weeks ago and saw them in a restaurant (I think it was Jewel Bako) in
> NYC somewhere, very upscale, and they had raw tako where they took a
> fairly large tentacle and cut thin slices from it. These were thrown
> down on the prep table with some force so that the slices actually
> swelled up immediately.

I've ordered Aoyogi a few times cuz the chef smacks it down on the cutting
board.. makes those who aren't paying attention jump a bit. He said it
tightens the muscle, I think.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Buddy wrote:
>
>> here's James Silverton's last post ->:

>>> Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think I've ever seen
>>> the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most intrigued by the picture in
>>> Maramatu Morimotu's book of a large diakon actually being used for
>>> tenderizing!
>>>

>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>>
>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>> Watching Andrew Zimmern & Anthony Bourdain on the cooking show a couple
>> of weeks ago and saw them in a restaurant (I think it was Jewel Bako) in
>> NYC somewhere, very upscale, and they had raw tako where they took a
>> fairly large tentacle and cut thin slices from it. These were thrown down
>> on the prep table with some force so that the slices actually swelled up
>> immediately.

> I've ordered Aoyogi a few times cuz the chef smacks it down on the cutting
> board.. makes those who aren't paying attention jump a bit. He said it
> tightens the muscle, I think.
>
> --
> Dan

In Australia and I believe in the state of California is it illegal to
prepare lobsters and
crabs while they are alive. Should this ever include clams and oysters I
think we are going
to have a serious problem.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>> Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:
>>>

>> It occurred to me later that the "shokkan" (tasting consistency, texture)
>> of
>> cooked and
>> raw Tako is very very similar to the difference between cooked clams and
>> raw
>> clams.
>> I should have mentioned this.
>> In both NY places where I've had it, it wasn't on the menu.
>> It may be worth asking if they have Nama Dako.
>>

> I'm not sure if I have ever tried raw and cooked clams in a sushi
> restaurant. Recently, the only ones I have had were so-called surf clams
> and those, I think, were raw.

Yes at a sushi counter you will find Akagai, Aoyagi, Torigai, Mirugai, etc
all in raw form. I think that surf clam is probably mirugai or geoduck.
On their cooked menu, you may find a Asari miso soup (Manilla clams) or
a Saka mushi (steamed with sake).

> I have had cooked clams in regular cuisine (clam chowder especially) and I
> would say that the texture of the clams was firmer than the clams at the
> sushi bar. However, that's not a real comparison since the species would
> be different, I suppose.

Yes clams harden up when cooked and become chewy.
This holds true for all types of clams. Mussels and Oysters tend to firm up
but won't be quite as chewy as clams.
Chowders use large quahogs which are the same served raw as Littlenecks and
Cherrystones.
They are indeed a different species than the raw stuff you get at the sushi
counter.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-23 14:08:48 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> He gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves
> rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating
> to tenderize ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in
> dashi for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!

More importantly, Octopus aren't fish! They're cephalopods!

--

thepixelfreak

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 08:23:52 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

> In Australia and I believe in the state of California is it illegal to
> prepare lobsters and crabs while they are alive. Should this ever
> include clams and oysters I think we are going to have a serious
> problem.

I've heard that this might be come a law in California, but can find no
verification that it has. And of course we should point out that this
is limited to commercial kitchens, not home use.

I wonder how they kill them in Australia? Electrocution? Guillotine?
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 05:23:11 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> That recipe sounds rather excessive to me.. I had thought tako was par-boiled
> for 2 minutes or so. Not close to 2 hours. But maybe Morimotu knows some
> secret to it.

I thought "simmering" and "boiling" were different things. Simmering
things, even for a long while, isn't the same thing as boiling them at
full throttle for a minute or two.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 06:07:27 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think I've ever seen
> the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most intrigued by the picture in
> Maramatu Morimotu's book of a large diakon actually being used for
> tenderizing!

Always wise to watch your p's and q's in a foreign language. Or in this
case your vowels. It's "nama dako", not "nama daiko".

Who knows what you'd get....!
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:55:17 -0700:

??>> Interesting! I must look out for it tho' I don't think
??>> I've ever seen the term "Nama Daiko". I was also most
??>> intrigued by the picture in Maramatu Morimotu's book of a
??>> large diakon actually being used for tenderizing!

G> Always wise to watch your p's and q's in a foreign language.
G> Or in this case your vowels. It's "nama dako", not "nama
G> daiko".

G> Who knows what you'd get....!

If I try to order it in the *US*, I won't mind being politely
told I am not pronouncing the name for octopus correctly but I
won't return if they pretend not to understand some English.
There is very little possibility that somone could pass off
something else as octopus. I have little patience for experts
using jargon and flattering someone who I am paying! This
sometimes seems to be the attitude of some people (not you!)

Incidentally, simmering is not much different in temperature
from boiling and I refuse to believe that at most 5 degrees
makes much difference. Now, if you referred to "poaching" where
the liquid does not actually boil, I would have to agree.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> Yes, Tako is neither raw nor a fish.
> Traditionally it is used boiled.
> That said, in some of the top Japanese restaurants you may find actual
> "raw" tako.
> Both Hatsuhana and Sushiden in Manhattan
> often have this. Usually it's served as "Nama Dako" (raw tako) a sashimi
> appetizer.
>
> "If something is only par-boiled after an hour and a half, I hate
> to think how much jaw exercise I'd get eating it raw! :-)"
>
> Contrary to what you might expect, in raw form
> Tako is very tender and nothing like when cooked.

It's been my experience that squid and octopus are tender if cooked less
than two minutes or more than two hours.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 08:30:22 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

> Yes at a sushi counter you will find Akagai, Aoyagi, Torigai, Mirugai, etc
> all in raw form. I think that surf clam is probably mirugai or geoduck.

Nope. I get frequenctly in SoCal and they are explicitly not mirugai.
They have a very distinctive look to them with a pink point of sorts.
It looks vaguely triangular. I found a picture, which though it looks
a little skewed to red rather than pink is close enough:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...79752668XPISTZ
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 11:37:19 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> G> Always wise to watch your p's and q's in a foreign language.
> G> Or in this case your vowels. It's "nama dako", not "nama
> G> daiko".
>
> G> Who knows what you'd get....!
>
> If I try to order it in the *US*, I won't mind being politely told I am
> not pronouncing the name for octopus correctly but I won't return if
> they pretend not to understand some English.

I don't know what nama daiko is, but if it's something other than raw
octopus, then you'll be looking at it on your plate. That's what's
meant by "Who knows what you'll get." On the other hand you can return
because you got exactly what you ordered.

> There is very little possibility that somone could pass off something
> else as octopus. I have little patience for experts using jargon and
> flattering someone who I am paying! This sometimes seems to be the
> attitude of some people (not you!)

You're taking a direction I didn't predict and can't even really
follow. But it sounds really bad.

> Incidentally, simmering is not much different in temperature from
> boiling and I refuse to believe that at most 5 degrees makes much
> difference. Now, if you referred to "poaching" where the liquid does
> not actually boil, I would have to agree.

I'm not an advanced cook, but I know some sauces, soups and other foods
shouldn't be boiled, but should be simmered. So whatever the minor
difference is, I can't say it doesn't apply to tako.

And now, tippy-toeing out of the room...
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:09:44 -0700:

G> You're taking a direction I didn't predict and can't even
G> really follow. But it sounds really bad.

??>> Incidentally, simmering is not much different in
??>> temperature from boiling and I refuse to believe that at
??>> most 5 degrees makes much difference. Now, if you referred
??>> to "poaching" where the liquid does not actually boil, I
??>> would have to agree.

G> I'm not an advanced cook, but I know some sauces, soups and
G> other foods shouldn't be boiled, but should be simmered. So
G> whatever the minor difference is, I can't say it doesn't
G> apply to tako.

Let's stay away from correcting each other, especially about
mistyping something from another poster, which can lead to bad
tempered exchanges, sorry! I don't consider myself an advanced
cook either and it is a practice where not all terms are well
defined. I'm just interested in the supposed changes in sea
food on cooking. Despite what I had read previously, it is
possible that long cooking does not tenderize octopus and it is
only the bashing with a mallet (or a daikon) that is important

However, I recently tested a roasting thermometer by immersing
it in "boiling" water, ie a turbulent liquid with large bubbles
so I just now repeated the experiment. I reduced the heat so
that small bubbles were coming up, which is what I would call
"simmering" and the indicated temperature dropped at most 2 F
degrees. If I turned down the heat so that the bubbling stopped
completely, "poaching", the temperature did drop. It was hard to
decide the amount but most poaching is done for a short time
after raising the liquid to an initial boil.

There are other cooking terms that are ill defined too,
"blanching" being one. I understand it as throwing vegetables
into boiling water and removing them into ice water immediately
the water boils again (sometimes used to sterilize bean
sprouts.) Others extend the boiling for a minute or two but
still call it blanching.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> On 2007-09-24 08:30:22 -0700, "Musashi" > said:
>
> > Yes at a sushi counter you will find Akagai, Aoyagi, Torigai, Mirugai,

etc
> > all in raw form. I think that surf clam is probably mirugai or geoduck.

> Nope. I get frequenctly in SoCal and they are explicitly not mirugai.
> They have a very distinctive look to them with a pink point of sorts.
> It looks vaguely triangular. I found a picture, which though it looks
> a little skewed to red rather than pink is close enough:
>
> http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...79752668XPISTZ
> --

Ahh...that's Hokkigai. Sometimes called Hokkyokugai.
I use that when making Nuta sometimes instead of Tako.
Yes you're right that's called Surf Clam.
Amazingly harvested in Canada and shipped to China where processed, boxed
and frozen and sent back to
the US.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Gerry wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:09:44 -0700:
>

> G> You're taking a direction I didn't predict and can't even
> G> really follow. But it sounds really bad.
>
> ??>> Incidentally, simmering is not much different in
> ??>> temperature from boiling and I refuse to believe that at
> ??>> most 5 degrees makes much difference. Now, if you referred
> ??>> to "poaching" where the liquid does not actually boil, I
> ??>> would have to agree.
>
> G> I'm not an advanced cook, but I know some sauces, soups and
> G> other foods shouldn't be boiled, but should be simmered. So
> G> whatever the minor difference is, I can't say it doesn't
> G> apply to tako.
>
> Let's stay away from correcting each other, especially about
> mistyping something from another poster, which can lead to bad
> tempered exchanges, sorry! I don't consider myself an advanced
> cook either and it is a practice where not all terms are well
> defined. I'm just interested in the supposed changes in sea
> food on cooking. Despite what I had read previously, it is
> possible that long cooking does not tenderize octopus and it is
> only the bashing with a mallet (or a daikon) that is important

I've watched Greek fishermen in the Aegean smashing Octopus on the rocks
to tenderize them. It certainly works as the grilled Oktopothi there is
extremely tender.
I 've seen a method in southern Italy where the octopus is dropped in
boiling(I think, not sure)
and pulled out quickly, and this is repeated several times as a means of
keeping it tender.
There was a word for it but I've forgotten.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-24 16:03:07 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

> Ahh...that's Hokkigai. Sometimes called Hokkyokugai.
> I use that when making Nuta sometimes instead of Tako.
> Yes you're right that's called Surf Clam.
> Amazingly harvested in Canada and shipped to China where processed, boxed
> and frozen and sent back to the US.

With undoubtedly a 35% bump in price. Well isn't that a convenience.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 23, 5:08 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in
> NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for
> preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock
> salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi
> for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I can only assume that this is a good preparation for FRESH octopus.
Since I cannot find the fresh product up here in New England, I am
forced to use frozen. My preparation gives excellent results, and the
octopus I buy typically runs about 4-5 lbs. About the only thing that
needs to be removed is the beak, the viscera are usually taken out
before freezing. Always buy a frozen octopus, this reduces the chance
of spoilage.

1. Put on a pot of water, about a gallon, and add a good sized piece
of kombu and about 2 oz of sea salt. Bring to a boil.
2. Thaw octopus in cold water, then drain well.
3. Knead the octopus with a large amount of fresh grated/chopped
daikon radish and sea salt. What this does is to clean off any slime,
and it also tightens the skin up just a bit. While doing that, turn
the head inside out and check for any leftover viscera. Remove any
that's found, then return the head sac to it's correct shape.
4. Using a fork, dunk the octopus into the boiling water a few times
untill the tentacles curl up. Lower the heat a bit, and then simmer
the octopus for about 5-10 minutes. After that turn the heat off and
cover the pot.
5. Let the octopus cool in the liquid for at least an hour, then into
the fridge the whole thing goes. Overnight is great if you can manage
it, it's the slow cooling that tenderizes it.Take it out of the water
and let it dry a bit. Slice, then serve as you like.

You'll probably find the skin around the head to be very tough. This
skin is better off discarded. The very top of the tentacles where they
conjoin into the head will probably also have a gelatinous layer right
under the skin that's not too edible either. Hope this helps anyone
who would like to cook one up.

Jim S.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I think that Mediterranean cooking does a much better job with octopus
and squid than does Asian cooking - tenderizing and slow cooking vs.
stir-frying and parboiled raw. I do not like octopus sushi. I have
never had any that I liked. It always tastes like rubber, tenderized
rubber at its best, but still rubber.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I think that Mediterranean cooking does a much better job with octopus
> and squid than does Asian cooking - tenderizing and slow cooking vs.
> stir-frying and parboiled raw. I do not like octopus sushi. I have
> never had any that I liked. It always tastes like rubber, tenderized
> rubber at its best, but still rubber.

I tend to agree with you. Mediterranean styles, and I've had Spanish and
Portugese octopus as well, do focus
on making it tender. Japanese cuisine relies on boiling which keeps it
rubbery. And Chinese cuisine using the wok applies high heat so again it
ends up rubbery.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
War War is offline

parrotheada1a wrote:
> On Sep 23, 5:08 pm, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of restaurants in
>> NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today . He gave directions for
>> preparing octopus for sashimi. This involves rubbing with rock
>> salt to get rid of the slime that coats it, beating to tenderize
>> ("traditionally with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi
>> for 1 1/2 hours! It's not raw fish!
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> I can only assume that this is a good preparation for FRESH octopus.
> Since I cannot find the fresh product up here in New England, I am
> forced to use frozen. My preparation gives excellent results, and the
> octopus I buy typically runs about 4-5 lbs. About the only thing that
> needs to be removed is the beak, the viscera are usually taken out
> before freezing. Always buy a frozen octopus, this reduces the chance
> of spoilage.
>
> 1. Put on a pot of water, about a gallon, and add a good sized piece
> of kombu and about 2 oz of sea salt. Bring to a boil.
> 2. Thaw octopus in cold water, then drain well.
> 3. Knead the octopus with a large amount of fresh grated/chopped
> daikon radish and sea salt. What this does is to clean off any slime,
> and it also tightens the skin up just a bit. While doing that, turn
> the head inside out and check for any leftover viscera. Remove any
> that's found, then return the head sac to it's correct shape.
> 4. Using a fork, dunk the octopus into the boiling water a few times
> untill the tentacles curl up. Lower the heat a bit, and then simmer
> the octopus for about 5-10 minutes. After that turn the heat off and
> cover the pot.
> 5. Let the octopus cool in the liquid for at least an hour, then into
> the fridge the whole thing goes. Overnight is great if you can manage
> it, it's the slow cooling that tenderizes it.Take it out of the water
> and let it dry a bit. Slice, then serve as you like.
>
> You'll probably find the skin around the head to be very tough. This
> skin is better off discarded. The very top of the tentacles where they
> conjoin into the head will probably also have a gelatinous layer right
> under the skin that's not too edible either. Hope this helps anyone
> who would like to cook one up.
>
> Jim S.

Hi Jim, do you mind if I add this to the recipe section on sushifaq.com?

-Warren

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog

Posted to alt.food.sushi

War wrote on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:38:42 -0400:

W> parrotheada1a wrote:
??>> On Sep 23, 5:08 pm, "James Silverton"
??>> > wrote:
??>>> Hello, All!
??>>>
??>>> I picked up a book by Masahara Morimotu (owner of
??>>> restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia) in Borders today .
??>>> He gave directions for preparing octopus for sashimi.
??>>> This involves rubbing with rock salt to get rid of the
??>>> slime that coats it, beating to tenderize ("traditionally
??>>> with a large diakon"!), and simmering in dashi for 1 1/2
??>>> hours! It's not raw fish!

W> Hi Jim, do you mind if I add this to the recipe section on
W> sushifaq.com?

Not my recipe in any way. The above was my quote from Morimotu
:-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 26, 2:38 pm, War > wrote:
> parrotheada1a wrote:

> > I can only assume that this is a good preparation for FRESH octopus.
> > Since I cannot find the fresh product up here in New England, I am
> > forced to use frozen. My preparation gives excellent results, and the
> > octopus I buy typically runs about 4-5 lbs. About the only thing that
> > needs to be removed is the beak, the viscera are usually taken out
> > before freezing. Always buy a frozen octopus, this reduces the chance
> > of spoilage.

> > 1. Put on a pot of water, about a gallon, and add a good sized piece
> > of kombu and about 2 oz of sea salt. Bring to a boil.
> > 2. Thaw octopus in cold water, then drain well.
> > 3. Knead the octopus with a large amount of fresh grated/chopped
> > daikon radish and sea salt. What this does is to clean off any slime,
> > and it also tightens the skin up just a bit. While doing that, turn
> > the head inside out and check for any leftover viscera. Remove any
> > that's found, then return the head sac to it's correct shape.
> > 4. Using a fork, dunk the octopus into the boiling water a few times
> > untill the tentacles curl up. Lower the heat a bit, and then simmer
> > the octopus for about 5-10 minutes. After that turn the heat off and
> > cover the pot.
> > 5. Let the octopus cool in the liquid for at least an hour, then into
> > the fridge the whole thing goes. Overnight is great if you can manage
> > it, it's the slow cooling that tenderizes it.Take it out of the water
> > and let it dry a bit. Slice, then serve as you like.

> > You'll probably find the skin around the head to be very tough. This
> > skin is better off discarded. The very top of the tentacles where they
> > conjoin into the head will probably also have a gelatinous layer right
> > under the skin that's not too edible either. Hope this helps anyone
> > who would like to cook one up.

> > Jim S.

> Hi Jim, do you mind if I add this to the recipe section on sushifaq.com?
>
> -Warren
>
> --
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ
> HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ

Not a problem at all Warren. I cannot claim full credit for it though.
Most of the ingredients and some of the techniques are from Shizuo
Tsuji's Japanese cooking book. His outstanding book uses fresh
octopus, and I have added a few different steps for starting with the
frozen ones.

I should also add that the cooked octopus has a fairly short shelf
life even if refrigerated. I usually store it unsliced in a ziplock
bag, and I've learned that if kept dry, the octopus will keep for a
week, mebbe two at the most. I've found that keeping it in a strong
brine solution after cooking extends shelf life in the fridge. The
salt in the brine doesn't seem to get into the meat, the texture
remains firm, and it keeps the cooties at bay for weeks longer. Still,
don't expect this stuff to keep forever. After a few weeks in the
brine, parts of the octopus will get soft, especially the skin.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

To Musashi ,

We call them pipi s , you call them surf clams , i think they
are the same , you can dig them with your feet , top eating

--
still fishin , pedro

et...