Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Homemade sushi

Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.

It's holding at -26 to -27F.

I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
caught fish as I can find.

I bought:

2 pounds of yellowtail fillet (one fillet) that I have portioned into
eight pieces of a quarter pound apiece.

2 pounds of yellowfin tuna

1 pound of escolar

3 (6oz) packs of Barbequed and Marinated Farmed fresh water eel

1kg of Salmon roe

2 pounds of marinated Mackerel fillets

A friend came over on Friday and Saturday and we both seriously filled
ourselves on sushi.

Sashimi
Nigiri
Maki Rolls

With green onions, seedless cucumber, avacoto, bean sprouts, carrots
and countless sauces, we managed to get ourselves so full that we
simply watched TV and chatted while digesting our wonderful meal.

As to cost?

Fish for both meals: $25.71
Veggies $ 5.00

Per/meal cost for two people to get stuffed: $15.36

There is no way to beat that. Each piece of sushi was perfect. The
rice turned out very well and had slightly more vinegar taste than
usual, as my friend and I both like it.

We tried a couple of new items.

1. Ginger Wasabi Sauce from "Robert Rothschild Farm" Gourmet Sauces.

This was very strong stuff. An intense wasabi flavor with a highlight
of ginger. I put a small drop of it on the bottom of a couple pieces
of Nigiri. It was excellent.

2. A spicy shrimp sauce made from Miracle Whip Mayo and some ground
fresh chili paste, (Sambal Oelek), from Huy Fong Foods.

This turned out better than I had hoped for. It was about a half cup
of mayo to a teaspoon of the chili paste. It was spicy without
overpowering the taste buds.

3. Boar's Head "Savory Remoulade" Cajun Style Mayonnaise.

As a small wipe under Nigiri, and a small amount on a roll, it was
delicious.

All in all, this was one of the best sushi feasts I've had at home.
Simple, fresh and delicious.

My next act is to find some local fresh fish to supplement the local
Southern Kingfish, flounder and snapper I've found so far.

I'm turning into a sushi junkie. I got a monkfish on my back...hehe
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Merlin wrote:
> Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.
>
> It's holding at -26 to -27F.
>
> I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
> first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
> caught fish as I can find.

Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?
Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.

I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
for the most part. BTW, why does your name keep changing?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-09 10:12:21 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> Merlin wrote:
>> Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.
>>
>> It's holding at -26 to -27F.
>>
>> I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
>> first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
>> caught fish as I can find.

> Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?

The same argument could be made for buying more than a single serving
of anything at the supermarket. I don't know his rationale, but it
seems that he doesn't have to make any particular plans before putting
together a sushi meal.

> Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
> should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.
>
> I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
> for the most part.

Certainly, but he can buy off a recently landed boat tomorrow if he likes.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:12:21 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Merlin wrote:
>> Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.
>>
>> It's holding at -26 to -27F.
>>
>> I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
>> first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
>> caught fish as I can find.

>Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?
>Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
>should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.

A standard freezer will keep fish for raw consumption for only 2 or 3
months. This freezer will keep fish fresh for 1 year without vacuum
sealing. I do that as well, so the fish I have can last up to 2 years.

The Catalina buy was something to get me started. If you look: "while
looking around my area for as many types of fresh caught fish as I can
find." is in the quote in your reply.

Fish run in seasons. Only a few at a time are available. I'll be
stocking up this year.

>I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
>for the most part.

"To each his own, said the lady who kissed the cow" hehe

I love gadgets, I love sushi and I have the money to play.

>BTW, why does your name keep changing?

My Doctor told me I was schizophrenic. I told him "I am not, and
neither am I, and me either"

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:26:08 -0700, Gerry >
wrote:

>On 2007-09-09 10:12:21 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:
>
>> Merlin wrote:
>>> Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.
>>>
>>> It's holding at -26 to -27F.
>>>
>>> I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
>>> first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
>>> caught fish as I can find.

>> Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?

>The same argument could be made for buying more than a single serving
>of anything at the supermarket. I don't know his rationale, but it
>seems that he doesn't have to make any particular plans before putting
>together a sushi meal.
>
>> Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
>> should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.
>>
>> I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
>> for the most part.

>Certainly, but he can buy off a recently landed boat tomorrow if he likes.

Hey Gerry, you're starting to understand me.

That's scary.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Merlin wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:12:21 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Merlin wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I've definitely starting using my new sushi freezer.
>>>
>>>It's holding at -26 to -27F.
>>>
>>>I purchased all sushi grade fish at Catalina Offshore Products for my
>>>first load, while looking around my area for as many types of fresh
>>>caught fish as I can find.

>>Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?
>>Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
>>should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.

> A standard freezer will keep fish for raw consumption for only 2 or 3
> months. This freezer will keep fish fresh for 1 year without vacuum
> sealing. I do that as well, so the fish I have can last up to 2 years.
>
> The Catalina buy was something to get me started. If you look: "while
> looking around my area for as many types of fresh caught fish as I can
> find." is in the quote in your reply.
>
> Fish run in seasons. Only a few at a time are available. I'll be
> stocking up this year.

Several types run during each season, and many are available locally from
other parts of the world.

I have a standard chest freezer that keeps my foods well frozen for several
years. I always vac-seal my foods for long term storage, and it does well.

>>I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
>>for the most part.

> "To each his own, said the lady who kissed the cow" hehe
>
> I love gadgets, I love sushi and I have the money to play.

Well that makes the most sense of all.

>>BTW, why does your name keep changing?

> My Doctor told me I was schizophrenic. I told him "I am not, and
> neither am I, and me either"

Up your doses.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-09 14:48:39 -0700, Merlin > said:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:26:08 -0700, Gerry >
> wrote:

>>> Wait, if you're buying from Catalina why do you need this sushi freezer?

>> The same argument could be made for buying more than a single serving
>> of anything at the supermarket. I don't know his rationale, but it
>> seems that he doesn't have to make any particular plans before putting
>> together a sushi meal.
>>
>>> Their product has already been frozen to "kill" parasites. A standard freezer
>>> should be perfectly acceptable for long term storage.
>>>
>>> I understand if you're finding local fresh fish, but it seems like overkill
>>> for the most part.

>> Certainly, but he can buy off a recently landed boat tomorrow if he likes.

> Hey Gerry, you're starting to understand me.
>
> That's scary.

Understand? Let's just use the word "interpret"...
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 9, 6:26 pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:

> >>BTW, why does your name keep changing?

> > My Doctor told me I was schizophrenic. I told him "I am not, and
> > neither am I, and me either"

> Up your doses.

If you're speaking to me, I and myself never listen to me. Sometimes I
will agree, but I can't get myself to listen to anything.

All of us appreciate your input, however.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

What is the Japanese name for escolar? I can't seem to find it.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 10, 2:52 pm, wrote:
> What is the Japanese name for escolar? I can't seem to find it.

Abura bouzu

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"John Doe" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 10, 2:52 pm, wrote:
>> What is the Japanese name for escolar? I can't seem to find it.

> Abura bouzu

Yes, Abura Bouzu...or Abura Sokomutsu.
Either way you don't hear it often in Japan because
it's prohibited from sale for consumption.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I asked the girl behind the counter who was preparing the sushi at the
Todai in California what happened to the "white tuna"/escolar they
used to serve. She said she didn't know but it used to look so
good. I told her that it was probably discontinued because it was
said to cause digestive system problems in some people. She said she
didn't know about that, and no she never tried it - because she never
eats raw fish!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I asked the girl behind the counter who was preparing the sushi at the
> Todai in California what happened to the "white tuna"/escolar they
> used to serve. She said she didn't know but it used to look so
> good. I told her that it was probably discontinued because it was
> said to cause digestive system problems in some people. She said she
> didn't know about that, and no she never tried it - because she never
> eats raw fish!

LOL.
Wasn't there some famous line by a Comedian about how he'd never join a club
that would have someone like
himself as a member?

Posted to alt.food.sushi
War War is offline

Musashi wrote:
> "John Doe" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Sep 10, 2:52 pm, wrote:
>>> What is the Japanese name for escolar? I can't seem to find it.

>> Abura bouzu
>>

> Yes, Abura Bouzu...or Abura Sokomutsu.
> Either way you don't hear it often in Japan because
> it's prohibited from sale for consumption.

Any chance you might provide me with a phonetic pronunciation? For
the FAQ? And do you know why it's prohibited? Is it due to the difestive
problems that it can cause some people?

Thanks

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> LOL.
> Wasn't there some famous line by a Comedian about how he'd never join a club
> that would have someone like
> himself as a member?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." -
Groucho Marx

I agree with him!

I wonder how many sushi chefs hate raw fish.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"War" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Abura bouzu
>>>

>> Yes, Abura Bouzu...or Abura Sokomutsu.
>> Either way you don't hear it often in Japan because
>> it's prohibited from sale for consumption.
>>

> Any chance you might provide me with a phonetic pronunciation? For the
> FAQ? And do you know why it's prohibited? Is it due to the difestive
> problems that it can cause some people?
>
> Thanks

Sure Warren

Aburabouzu...............Ah Boo Rah Boh Zoo

Abura Sokomutsu......Ah Boo Rah Soh Koh Moo Tsoo

(Abura = oil, fat)

It's been prohibited since the late 70s for the same reasons that it's been
written
written up in the US, namely the inability of many people to digest it
properly.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi
War War is offline

Musashi wrote:
> "War" > wrote in message
>> Musashi wrote:
>>> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...
>>>>
>>> Yes, Abura Bouzu...or Abura Sokomutsu.
>>> Either way you don't hear it often in Japan because
>>> it's prohibited from sale for consumption.
>>>

>> Any chance you might provide me with a phonetic pronunciation? For the
>> FAQ? And do you know why it's prohibited? Is it due to the difestive
>> problems that it can cause some people?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Sure Warren
>
> Aburabouzu...............Ah Boo Rah Boh Zoo
>
> Abura Sokomutsu......Ah Boo Rah Soh Koh Moo Tsoo
>
> (Abura = oil, fat)
>
> It's been prohibited since the late 70s for the same reasons that it's been
> written
> written up in the US, namely the inability of many people to digest it
> properly.
>
> Musashi

Thanks very much, I appreciate it

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/ The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-11 09:01:25 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> I don't know if I'd trust a sushi chef that doesn't eat sushi.
> They don't have a taste for their work.. or how to compare different
> items.

I know I wouldn't trust any chef that doesn't eat his own food. I've
encountered a number of bartenders that don't drink "any more", and
they put me off a bit too.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-11 09:47:43 -0700, War > said:

>> It's been prohibited since the late 70s for the same reasons that it's
>> been written
>> written up in the US, namely the inability of many people to digest it
>> properly.

> Thanks very much, I appreciate it

For more details on this you can google it and find plenty. Or search
within this usenet group. We've bickered about it on a number of
occasions.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> On 2007-09-11 09:01:25 -0700, Dan Logcher >
> said:
>
>> I don't know if I'd trust a sushi chef that doesn't eat sushi.
>> They don't have a taste for their work.. or how to compare different
>> items.

> I know I wouldn't trust any chef that doesn't eat his own food. I've
> encountered a number of bartenders that don't drink "any more", and they
> put me off a bit too.
> --

I agree.
What would be the point of asking what he
recommends?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> "Gerry" > wrote in message
>
>>On 2007-09-11 09:01:25 -0700, Dan Logcher >
>>said:
>>

>>>I don't know if I'd trust a sushi chef that doesn't eat sushi.
>>>They don't have a taste for their work.. or how to compare different
>>>items.

>>I know I wouldn't trust any chef that doesn't eat his own food. I've
>>encountered a number of bartenders that don't drink "any more", and they
>>put me off a bit too.
>>--

> I agree.
> What would be the point of asking what he
> recommends?

Or similar tastes of other items..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

The girl in the Todai was just a young assembly line sushi chef, not
some black belt sushi master who trained for 20 years with monks in
Kyoto. Still, I can see how a guy dealing with fish day in day out,
every day of his life, for years on end, watching the worms crawl in
and out, might prefer to eat a hamburger or a pizza or fried chicken,
or anything except raw fish!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> I understand the "any more(s)" better than I do the "I never
> did(s)" when it comes to bartenders, if I might join in - a little
> like working behind the alter without ever kneeling in the pew.
>
> --
>
> ><<XX>:> Buddy

Definitely.

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi Travis McGee General Cooking 86 12-09-2015 02:41 AM
Buying fish for homemade sushi Keith Sumrall Sushi 9 02-04-2007 04:29 PM
homemade sushi Barb Sushi 36 19-10-2006 08:55 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) [email protected] Restaurants 0 21-03-2006 08:53 PM
My first homemade sushi. Questions Sushi 5 15-02-2005 12:56 AM