Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi Yasuda - NYC

Hey,

How is this place, I've heard good things, any recommendations ?
http://www.sushiyasuda.com/home.html

Is it very expensive ?

Posted to alt.food.sushi
JP JP is offline

> How is this place, I've heard good things, any recommendations ?
> http://www.sushiyasuda.com/home.html
>
> Is it very expensive ?

Extremely expensive, extremely good.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Genki" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey,
>
> How is this place, I've heard good things, any recommendations ?
> http://www.sushiyasuda.com/home.html
>
> Is it very expensive ?

Both very good and expensive.
Just returned from Sushiden (49th and Madison)
also both very good and expensive.
Highlight of today's lunch...namadako (raw tako)
nigiri with lemon and rock salt.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Do those places have real wasabi?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 17, 9:46 am, Genki > wrote:
> Hey,
>
> How is this place, I've heard good things, any recommendations ?http://www.sushiyasuda.com/home.html
>
> Is it very expensive ?

Sushi Yasuda is one of the best places for great sushi in NYC and the
country. It is within the top 5 in the country in my experience.
Yasuda-san takes great care in every aspect of the sushi-making
process. He is especially proud of his rice, which is considered one
of the best. I've been honored to have had him serve me as many as a
dozen pieces of different toro in a row as a taste test. No, it's not
cheap, but considering that you are getting one of the finest
traditional sushi presentations around, it is well worth it. Reserve
a seat near him at the sushi bar if you can, and ask him about his
great rice. (My best experiences were when I let him select my sushi
and I had nothing else to eat.)

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 18, 2:19 am, wrote:
> Do those places have real wasabi?

I believe that Yasuda-san always serves real wasabi, but I have only
eaten at the sushi-bar with him serving me. Please note that like
many great sushi chefs, Yasuda-san prefers to see people adding little
if any wasabi to his properly balanced sushi preparations. He is what
I would consider one of the finest traditional sushi chefs I've ever
known.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Do those places have real wasabi?

Real as in grated plant?
Yes.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 18, 11:14 am, "Musashi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Do those places have real wasabi?

> Real as in grated plant?
> Yes.

Yes, real as in grated wasabi root. I find that a lot of the better
restaurants have it but they don't always serve it unless you ask.
I've had it before at:

Masa (always)
Sushi Yasuda
Nobu (original location)
Hatsuhana

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"rufus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 18, 11:14 am, "Musashi" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > ups.com...
> >
> > > Do those places have real wasabi?

> > Real as in grated plant?
> > Yes.

> Yes, real as in grated wasabi root. I find that a lot of the better
> restaurants have it but they don't always serve it unless you ask.
> I've had it before at:
>
> Masa (always)
> Sushi Yasuda
> Nobu (original location)
> Hatsuhana

Yes the best places usually serve real wasabi.
In some places when ordering sushi at a table for example,
the very best set will often. Once you get use to the real flavor
and non-overbearing hotness that powder and other forms have,
I admit it's easy to get hooked on it.
Last year wandering through the Nishiki Ichiba market in Kyoto
I saw fresh wasabi being sold at the equivalent of USD 4.00-5.00 per root.
If I had a means of maintaining freshness I would have brought some back.
Although I don't know if that's even legal.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Once you get use to the real flavor
and non-overbearing hotness that powder and other forms have,
I admit it's easy to get hooked on it.

_____________

It's so much better than the fake wasabi that evrybody has. I don't
know why it has to be such a big deal to find it. It's only a root,
not gold. I asked the Sushi Ken owner why he doesn't have it. He
said that it needs to be grated and only stays fresh for three days
and is expensive. Well, how much are these guys paying to their
Moonie fish suppliers if wasabi root seems so expensive by comparison,
and how much trouble is grating a root every 3 days compared with
trimming the fish and all the rest? I guess there's not much demand
for it...

Postscript: Yipes, $88 a pound!

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....category.12/.f

Why should the stuff be so expensive!? Sounds like a good cottage
industry for somebody - grow it in your garden and sell it to the
restaurants.

Maybe I'll try those two sushi places when I'm in Manhattan next. Do
they serve chirashi?

ww

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Once you get use to the real flavor
> and non-overbearing hotness that powder and other forms have,
> I admit it's easy to get hooked on it.
>

> _____________
>
> It's so much better than the fake wasabi that evrybody has. I don't
> know why it has to be such a big deal to find it. It's only a root,
> not gold. I asked the Sushi Ken owner why he doesn't have it. He
> said that it needs to be grated and only stays fresh for three days
> and is expensive. Well, how much are these guys paying to their
> Moonie fish suppliers if wasabi root seems so expensive by comparison,
> and how much trouble is grating a root every 3 days compared with
> trimming the fish and all the rest? I guess there's not much demand
> for it...
>
> Postscript: Yipes, $88 a pound!
>
> http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....category.12/.f
>
> Why should the stuff be so expensive!? Sounds like a good cottage
> industry for somebody - grow it in your garden and sell it to the
> restaurants.

There are a few places in the US that grow Wasabi and sell it in fresh form.
http://www.freshwasabi.com/
http://www.realwasabi.com/
http://www.wasabia.com/
etc.
But I guess the reason it's so expensive here is that apart from the
specialization required for growing,
the demand for fresh wasabi is so low that it doesn't justify utlizing
economies of scale.
Just my guess.

> Maybe I'll try those two sushi places when I'm in Manhattan next. Do
> they serve chirashi?

Sushiden for sure.
http://www.sushiden.com/e/menu/md/entry.htm

Sushi Yasuda doesn't have their menu up:
http://www.sushiyasuda.com/traditions.html
But Chirashi is a standard in any true Sushi-ya, after all they have the
fish and the sushimeshi.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi,

I have tried Wasabi root from one of the Northwest US companies that
you listed. It was a few years ago. At that time I found the US root
to be too mild. It lacked flavor and I found it useless. In talking
with various people the consensus was that great Japanese wasabi grows
best around fresh running water such as near streams or brooks. I
have no idea, but it seemed as if the growing conditions were a key
factor. Does anybody here know for sure?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"rufus" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Musashi,
>
> I have tried Wasabi root from one of the Northwest US companies that
> you listed. It was a few years ago. At that time I found the US root
> to be too mild. It lacked flavor and I found it useless. In talking
> with various people the consensus was that great Japanese wasabi grows
> best around fresh running water such as near streams or brooks. I
> have no idea, but it seemed as if the growing conditions were a key
> factor. Does anybody here know for sure?

All the wasabi farming I've ever seen on Japanese TV had plants in level
stages with
running water from the high level to the lower. And the water was not slow
and murky but rather
cold and very clear. While the market is for the root, locally the upper
leaves are also consumed.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"But Chirashi is a standard in any true Sushi-ya, after all they have
the
fish and the sushimeshi."

In my own very limited experience if chirashi is not on the menu they
will tell will me no they don't serve it, or if they do make it they
will make it very bad - but then the latter is the case in a lot of
places where it IS on the menu!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> "But Chirashi is a standard in any true Sushi-ya, after all they have
> the
> fish and the sushimeshi."
>

> In my own very limited experience if chirashi is not on the menu they
> will tell will me no they don't serve it, or if they do make it they
> will make it very bad - but then the latter is the case in a lot of
> places where it IS on the menu!

While I don't doubt what you say at all, I have never had such an
experience.
Prehaps because I routinely go to Japanese owned/run sushiya the notion that
Chirashi would not be on the menu is strange to me. However, if a place
caters
mostly to a non-Japanese client base, then I could see how maybe it isn't
worth
it to carry Chirashi on the menu. I would never order chirashi from any
place where I haven't
had their sushi and sashimi first anyway.
May I ask you, for my own education, what constitutes a "bad" chirashi?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

May I ask you, for my own education, what constitutes a "bad"
chirashi?

____________

Skimpy ingredients, cheap ingredients like cucumber and mushrooms
substituted for fish, poor quality fish.

Here's one place that I recall turning me away saying they don't serve
chirashi - Yakitori II on Sports Arena Blvd. in San Diego. It was
getting good reviews at the time and it was right next to a dinky
little Chinese buffet that I used to like (also gone downhill since)
so I went in and asked for chirashi and was told no.

Chirashi is my favorite. When it is good it has surprises in it!

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi Travis McGee General Cooking 86 12-09-2015 02:41 AM
sushi yasuda Groat Sushi 2 25-11-2012 03:12 PM
Sushi Yasuda's website and (sushi) spirituality rufus Sushi 1 05-01-2007 09:25 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 12:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) [email protected] Restaurants 0 21-03-2006 07:53 PM