Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Chicago - Sushi Restaurant Recommendations?

Any recommendations for good sushi at decent prices in Chicago with
parking? Definitely looking for a place where ex-pat Japanse frequent.

Need quick recommendations as we're going there in the next few days.

TIA. -- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-03-23 17:34:42 -0700, Rik Brown
> said:

> Any recommendations for good sushi at decent prices in Chicago with
> parking? Definitely looking for a place where ex-pat Japanse frequent.
>
> Need quick recommendations as we're going there in the next few days.
>
> TIA. -- Rik

I can't remember the year anymore. But I ate at a few and posts a
review here on one of them. It was a terrible experience, but the food
was good--what I had of it.

On another occasion, unposted, I ate well with some friends there.
Sorry I can't remember the name of it. It was downtown not too far
from the Wrigley building where I was doing some business. Try
googling.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Was in Chicago last summer.

We liked OYSY, 888 South Michigan Ave.
www.oysysushi.com/oysy.html

It is not just a sushi bar but really a Japanese Bistro, the lunch time
crowds seem to love it. We had a couple of very good Bento Box lunches
though we had to ask for Rice but it was free.

Doug.

"Rik Brown" > wrote in message

> Any recommendations for good sushi at decent prices in Chicago with
> parking? Definitely looking for a place where ex-pat Japanse frequent.
>
> Need quick recommendations as we're going there in the next few days.
>
> TIA. -- Rik
>

> --
> Rik Brown
> Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I was wondering what you found when you went on your trip. I would
have highly recommended HEAT (used to be at heatsushi.com) but based
on the fact that their website is not operating, I'm not sure if it is
still open. It is/was at 1507 N. Sedgwick, Chicago, (312) 397-0668.
It is not cheap though.

I do have a problem with your question, however. "Good Sushi at
decent prices" that attracts "ex-pat" Japanese is unlikely anywhere.
Good sushi costs more than average sushi because it requires more
effort and the selection of good (read: expensive) fish. I don't know
how you can get cheap toro anywhere, but you can get cheap tasteless
average fish or fake crabmeat. Japanese that I know that don't want
to spend a lot of money will control the cost by eating a lot less
than I do, but they won't sacrifice much on quality. I am also biased
in the Good Sushi to me means a good selection of high quality fish,
something that adds to the cost of running the business and therefore
to our costs of buying the sushi. However, nothing justifies the
charge of $50 or more for two pieces of toro at a couple of Japanese
restaurants in Vegas that I have been to. And the toro wasn't as good
as Masa's or Yasuda's toro, by a long shot!