Posted to alt.food.sushi, rec.food.cooking

Default Vietnamese Food: Cu Ghieng?

I bought it at a Vietnamese supermarket. Yes, I've googled to no avail.

I bought this at the store, as it was CLEARLY ginger root. I think I
know what ginger root looks like.

Does anybody know what "cu ghieng" means in Vietnamese. It's the
spitting image of ginger! :-)
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Well, I don't know. If it looks like ginger and smells like ginger and
tastes like ginger, it might be ginger, but then again it might be a
banana or a coconut. It would be hard to tell without scientific
analysis.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"It could be a duck."

Yes it could. Excellent observation. It could also be an insect that
mimics the appearence of ginger, or a small cylindrical
irregularly-shaped orange-coloured monkey. It is really very difficult
to identify these things accurately without conducting a microscopic
analysis of the cell structure.

Professor WW

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"It could be a duck."

Yes it could. Excellent observation. It could also be an insect that
mimics the appearence of ginger, or a small cylindrical
irregularly-shaped orange-coloured elephant. It is really very
difficult
to identify these things accurately without conducting a microscopic
analysis of the cell structure.

Professor WW

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2006-12-31 18:05:50 -0800, yetanotherBob > said:

Apparently I wasn't clear:

>> I bought it at a Vietnamese supermarket. Yes, I've googled to no avail.
>>
>> I bought this at the store, as it was CLEARLY ginger root. I think I
>> know what ginger root looks like.
>>
>> Does anybody know what "cu ghieng" means in Vietnamese. It's the
>> spitting image of ginger! :-)

> It means ginger. In Vietnamese.
> If you think know what ginger looks like, and you CLEARLY think you
> bought some ginger, you may ACTUALLY have purchased some ginger.
> What's the PROBLEM?

The problem is that it isn't ginger. It tastes vaguely like a
Christmas tree smells, and has a mild horseradish like burn to it. On
the other hand my wife though it was HOT and spit it out pronto. I
kept trying different parts of it attempting to find some heat, but
could not. And are tastes are not so dissimilar.

In any case it is not wasabi, it is not what is traditionally called
"ginger" in Chinese and American cooking, and it is not straight-ahead
horseradish. It tastes nothing like any of these.

So, no one has any familiarity with it, I assume?
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Hello, Gerry!
You wrote on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:24:53 -0800:

G> I bought this at the store, as it was CLEARLY ginger root.
G> I think I know what ginger root looks like.

G> Does anybody know what "cu ghieng" means in Vietnamese. It's
G> the spitting image of ginger! :-)

I've never come across the name before but, if it is not
actually ginger, it is probably Greater or Lesser Galangal
(Kaempferia rotunda Jacq. or K. galanga L) according to Gernot
Katzer's Spice pages. The plants are related to ginger and taste
similar tho' not identical. I have some and it is labelled
"Dried Rhizome"!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

I've bought fresh galanga (red ginger) at local asian groceries here in
Columbus, Ohio. How do you know if it is greater or lesser galanga?

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, Gerry!
> You wrote on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:24:53 -0800:
>
> G> I bought this at the store, as it was CLEARLY ginger root.
> G> I think I know what ginger root looks like.
>
> G> Does anybody know what "cu ghieng" means in Vietnamese. It's
> G> the spitting image of ginger! :-)
>
> I've never come across the name before but, if it is not actually
> ginger, it is probably Greater or Lesser Galangal (Kaempferia rotunda
> Jacq. or K. galanga L) according to Gernot Katzer's Spice pages. The
> plants are related to ginger and taste similar tho' not identical. I
> have some and it is labelled "Dried Rhizome"!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Howard Johnson" > wrote in message

> I've bought fresh galanga (red ginger) at local asian
> groceries here in Columbus, Ohio. How do you know if it is
> greater or lesser galanga?

Beats me! You would have to compare it with Gernot's pictures or
find a botanist who knows about South Asian plants!

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello, Gerry!
>> You wrote on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:24:53 -0800:
>>
>> G> I bought this at the store, as it was CLEARLY ginger root.
>> G> I think I know what ginger root looks like.
>>
>> G> Does anybody know what "cu ghieng" means in Vietnamese.
>> It's
>> G> the spitting image of ginger! :-)
>>
>> I've never come across the name before but, if it is not
>> actually ginger, it is probably Greater or Lesser Galangal
>> (Kaempferia rotunda Jacq. or K. galanga L) according to
>> Gernot Katzer's Spice pages. The plants are related to ginger
>> and taste similar tho' not identical. I have some and it is
>> labelled "Dried Rhizome"!

Good Luck!

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

I've grown regular ginger as an indoor house plant. Is galanga more
tropical?