Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Nori? What is Nori?

I have seen that Nori is made from a plankton that is strained in sieves
to make a paper-like seaweed-like substance that is used to wrap "sushi" in.

I have also seen that Nori is real leaves of seaweed..

Which is it?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rick Nelson wrote:
> I have seen that Nori is made from a plankton that is strained in sieves
> to make a paper-like seaweed-like substance that is used to wrap "sushi"
> in.
>
> I have also seen that Nori is real leaves of seaweed..
>
> Which is it?

Its kelp seaweed ground up and extruded into sheets, then dried.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:25:49 -0400, Rick Nelson >
wrote:

>I have seen that Nori is made from a plankton that is strained in sieves
>to make a paper-like seaweed-like substance that is used to wrap "sushi" in.
>
>I have also seen that Nori is real leaves of seaweed..
>
>Which is it?

wasn't nori a dwarf in lord of the rings?

"i can spell. i just can't type."
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Rick Nelson wrote:
>> I have seen that Nori is made from a plankton that is strained in
>> sieves to make a paper-like seaweed-like substance that is used to
>> wrap "sushi" in.
>>
>> I have also seen that Nori is real leaves of seaweed..
>>
>> Which is it?

> Its kelp seaweed ground up and extruded into sheets, then dried.

Does anyone know about the pool process that makes nori from algae?

you can buy kombu (kelp?) in sheets - is that the same as nori?

Thanks,

Rick
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rick Nelson > wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
> > Rick Nelson wrote:
> >> I have seen that Nori is made from a plankton that is strained in
> >> sieves to make a paper-like seaweed-like substance that is used to
> >> wrap "sushi" in.
> >>
> >> I have also seen that Nori is real leaves of seaweed..
> >>
> >> Which is it?

> > Its kelp seaweed ground up and extruded into sheets, then dried.
> >

> Does anyone know about the pool process that makes nori from algae?
>
> you can buy kombu (kelp?) in sheets - is that the same as nori?

From Google http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2310.html

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Covering various questions and comments:

Nori is made from seaweed. The seaweed most often used to make nori is
in the category (probably Genus) called Porphyra. Seaweed is a
non-technical name generally considered to encompass varieties of
multicellular algae, unlike the microscopic algae that most people
think of when they think of algae. The Porphyra seaweed used in most
commercial nori is farmed.

Kombu is a type of kelp seaweed, which is a different form of algae
from Porphyra.

Nori is made using a technique that is much like papermaking and dates
back at least to the Edo period in Japan.

Nori is best eaten when it is made crisp from a brief exposure to
burning charcoal and then wrapped around one of Masa Takayama's
extraordinary creations.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

rufus wrote:
> Covering various questions and comments:
>
> Nori is made from seaweed. The seaweed most often used to make nori is
> in the category (probably Genus) called Porphyra. Seaweed is a
> non-technical name generally considered to encompass varieties of
> multicellular algae, unlike the microscopic algae that most people
> think of when they think of algae. The Porphyra seaweed used in most
> commercial nori is farmed.
>
> Kombu is a type of kelp seaweed, which is a different form of algae
> from Porphyra.
>
> Nori is made using a technique that is much like papermaking and dates
> back at least to the Edo period in Japan.
>
> Nori is best eaten when it is made crisp from a brief exposure to
> burning charcoal and then wrapped around one of Masa Takayama's
> extraordinary creations.

Good answer! Thanks! I have been toasting my nori over a gas flame
Never thought to use charcoal - mesquite w/ apple cherry and mulberry?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default does dan play go?

I keep trying to get an IGS account but the emails they send with pw's
never work?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rick Nelson wrote:

> I keep trying to get an IGS account but the emails they send with pw's
> never work?

Who's Dan? Did you accidentally send this to the wrong group?

I play go, a little.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:

> Rick Nelson wrote:
>

>>I keep trying to get an IGS account but the emails they send with pw's
>>never work?

> Who's Dan? Did you accidentally send this to the wrong group?
>
> I play go, a little.

Never played "Go". I have passed "Go" and collected $200.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> Rick Nelson wrote:
>>

>>> I keep trying to get an IGS account but the emails they send with
>>> pw's never work?

>> Who's Dan? Did you accidentally send this to the wrong group?
>>
>> I play go, a little.

> Never played "Go". I have passed "Go" and collected $200.

Did he mean you? I didn't think so?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>>Ken Blake wrote:

>>>Who's Dan? Did you accidentally send this to the wrong group?
>>>
>>>I play go, a little.

>>Never played "Go". I have passed "Go" and collected $200.

> Did he mean you? I didn't think so?

Who knows.. but I thought as a Dan I should reply.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Dan Logcher wrote:

>>> Never played "Go". I have passed "Go" and collected $200.

>> Did he mean you? I didn't think so?

> Who knows.. but I thought as a Dan I should reply.

You may not know this, but Go players are ranked as kyus (lesser players)
and dans (better players). A first dan is the lowest of the dans, second dan
is better and so on.

If you are even a first dan, you're very good. I don't play in tournaments
and have no official rating, but if I did, I'd be a mid-kyu player.

Congratulations on your being a dan. ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>Who knows.. but I thought as a Dan I should reply.

> You may not know this, but Go players are ranked as kyus (lesser players)
> and dans (better players). A first dan is the lowest of the dans, second dan
> is better and so on.
>
> If you are even a first dan, you're very good. I don't play in tournaments
> and have no official rating, but if I did, I'd be a mid-kyu player.
>
> Congratulations on your being a dan. ;-)

I had no idea.. I'm a first Dan in my family.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Dan!
You wrote on Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:32:11 -0400:

DL> Ken Blake wrote:
??>> Dan Logcher wrote:
??>>>
??>>> Who knows.. but I thought as a Dan I should reply.
??>>
??>> You may not know this, but Go players are ranked as kyus
??>> (lesser players) and dans (better players). A first dan is
??>> the lowest of the dans, second dan is better and so on.
??>>
??>> If you are even a first dan, you're very good. I don't
??>> play in tournaments and have no official rating, but if I
??>> did, I'd be a mid-kyu player.
??>>
??>> Congratulations on your being a dan. ;-)

DL> I had no idea.. I'm a first Dan in my family.

Given the urge to produce rankings and such statistics, it's no
wonder the Japanese like baseball :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>>
>>> Who knows.. but I thought as a Dan I should reply.

>> You may not know this, but Go players are ranked as kyus (lesser
>> players) and dans (better players). A first dan is the lowest of the
>> dans, second dan is better and so on.
>>
>> If you are even a first dan, you're very good. I don't play in
>> tournaments and have no official rating, but if I did, I'd be a
>> mid-kyu player. Congratulations on your being a dan. ;-)

> I had no idea.. I'm a first Dan in my family.

<g>

Incidently, the Karate ranking nomenclature is essentially the same. A first
degree black-belt is a first dan, and so on.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> You may not know this, but Go players are ranked as kyus (lesser
>>> players) and dans (better players). A first dan is the lowest of the
>>> dans, second dan is better and so on.
>>>
>>> If you are even a first dan, you're very good. I don't play in
>>> tournaments and have no official rating, but if I did, I'd be a
>>> mid-kyu player. Congratulations on your being a dan. ;-)

>> I had no idea.. I'm a first Dan in my family.

> <g>
>
> Incidently, the Karate ranking nomenclature is essentially the same. A first
> degree black-belt is a first dan, and so on.

thanks for explaining my pun, ken. Ken.. hmmm cinnamon?

you guys obviously have jobs - you have way too much time on your hands

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:28:41 -0400, Rick Nelson >
wrote:
>thanks for explaining my pun, ken. Ken.. hmmm cinnamon?
>
>you guys obviously have jobs - you have way too much time on your hands

I think we all have lots of time when we don't need it, and not enough
time when we need it. But, you also replied :-) and I
replied.......so, do we all have3 too mucht time? Probably at times.
Rinshinomori

Nori Nori-Buffet worth Crawling in/Crawling out for hengsophiaxu Restaurants 0 14-07-2010 06:32 PM
question on Nori miket Sushi 4 28-09-2008 12:04 AM
Nori snacks Peter H.M. Brooks General Cooking 8 05-11-2005 05:37 PM
Nori George Sushi 0 15-08-2005 06:47 PM
Nori too dry Taka Kai Sushi 5 09-03-2004 09:58 AM