Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Salmon vs skin

I like both but wonder which is healthier. OTOH salmon taste depends
on the individual fish but the skin depends on the cooking.

OT - I make my sauce with wasabi, sweet and low, soy sauce, and water
or soft drink to cut down the salt.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:
> I like both but wonder which is healthier. OTOH salmon taste depends
> on the individual fish but the skin depends on the cooking.

I would think the salmon is better for you as it has more protein
and less fat.. but still some of the healthy fat.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Dan!
You wrote on Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:25:22 -0400:

DL> James wrote:
??>> I like both but wonder which is healthier. OTOH salmon
??>> taste depends on the individual fish but the skin depends
??>> on the cooking.

DL> I would think the salmon is better for you as it has more
DL> protein and less fat.. but still some of the healthy fat.

IMHO, salmon skin is the quintessence of fishiness and I can't
stand it! I know many people like it but I am not among them. A
long time ago, I went to a Japanese restaurant in Jasper,
Alberta (believe it or not). The very friendly Japanese chef
told me that he ran the restaurant so that he could ski in the
winter and I had to maintain the strictest smile when he
produced handrolls wrapped in salmon skin as a special treat,
especially as he told me he had caught the salmon himself!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, Dan!
> You wrote on Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:25:22 -0400:
>
> DL> James wrote:
> ??>> I like both but wonder which is healthier. OTOH salmon
> ??>> taste depends on the individual fish but the skin depends
> ??>> on the cooking.
>
> DL> I would think the salmon is better for you as it has more
> DL> protein and less fat.. but still some of the healthy fat.
>
> IMHO, salmon skin is the quintessence of fishiness and I can't stand
> it! I know many people like it but I am not among them. A long time
> ago, I went to a Japanese restaurant in Jasper, Alberta (believe it or
> not). The very friendly Japanese chef told me that he ran the restaurant
> so that he could ski in the winter and I had to maintain the strictest
> smile when he produced handrolls wrapped in salmon skin as a special
> treat, especially as he told me he had caught the salmon himself!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

It is strange how people's tastes differ. I love salmon skin - a local
Japanese Grocery sells salmon heads with fins and other fatty parts.
These are all Pacific wild caught and these low-priced "scraps" are to
me the essence of the best taste of the fish. Unagi to me has a very
concentrated salmon taste that I like very much also.

Here is a web site many might be interested in - it is about the
environmental ratings of different species of fish..

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

There are also other sites with more info.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Rick!
You wrote on Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:56:09 -0400:

RN> James Silverton wrote:
??>> IMHO, salmon skin is the quintessence of fishiness and I
??>> can't stand it! I know many people like it but I am not
??>> among them.

RN> It is strange how people's tastes differ. I love salmon
RN> skin - a local Japanese Grocery sells salmon heads with
RN> fins and other fatty parts. These are all Pacific wild
RN> caught and these low-priced "scraps" are to me the essence
RN> of the best taste of the fish. Unagi to me has a very
RN> concentrated salmon taste that I like very much also.

RN> Here is a web site many might be interested in - it is
RN> about the environmental ratings of different species of
RN> fish..

As I said, it's obvious that many people like salmon skin...De
gustibus non est disputandum!