Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Less chewy sourdough?

Hello all.

I'm very pleased with the flavour of my sourdough, but my children find
it hard work. How do I make it less chewy? Is it just a matter of using
(some proportion of) lower protein flour? (I realise that many people
consider chewiness a virtue!)

Thanks,

- guy
--
Remove the obvious to reply.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:55:06 GMT, Guy Snape
> wrote:

>How do I make it less chewy? Is it just a matter of using
>(some proportion of) lower protein flour?

Howdy,

Yes, that should do it...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Kids like softer easier to bite bread (just like mine). Its preferable
to add fat into your dough to minimize chewiness.
Guy Snape wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm very pleased with the flavour of my sourdough, but my children find
> it hard work. How do I make it less chewy? Is it just a matter of using
> (some proportion of) lower protein flour? (I realise that many people
> consider chewiness a virtue!)
>
> Thanks,
>
> - guy
> --
> Remove the obvious to reply.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Guy Snape wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm very pleased with the flavour of my sourdough, but my children find
> it hard work.

Don't change a thing. It builds character.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 7/13/06, Hans Fugal > wrote:

> Guy Snape wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I'm very pleased with the flavour of my sourdough, but my children find
> > it hard work.

> Don't change a thing. It builds character.

And jaws. Lack of good tough food to chew on has led, IM(ns)HO to the
problems we see with shortening of the jaws and an inability of modern jaws
to accomodate wisdom teeth.

Give 'em something to chew on and you might not have to pay for wisdom tooth
extraction.

The next time you plank some salmon, you and the missus should eat the
salmon. And give the kids the plank.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Guy Snape wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I'm very pleased with the flavour of my sourdough, but my children find
>> it hard work.

As Mike said... good for teeth and chewing strength.

Now - there is another "goody" on hearty bread:

First cut - small piece, always being fought about it.

Then, as the loaf got smaller and smaller, the last small piece got
drier and more chewy - even more fought about, who gets to have this
piece - amongst kids in the family.

Probably way out of fashion these days.

Samartha

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Well said, Samartha...also exactly how bread is fought over in this
household. Since I'm the baker, I almost always get that first
piece...but being the one to get that last crust is usually a
dog-fight...(:-o)!

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.
--

"Samartha Deva" > wrote

CHEWY brownies notbob General Cooking 32 17-08-2012 09:27 PM
chewy pasta? Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 18 13-12-2009 06:39 PM
Chewy meat Univeros General Cooking 31 10-09-2008 05:35 AM
Chewy fudge [email protected] General Cooking 4 02-01-2008 07:59 PM
too chewy gary Sourdough 1 05-11-2003 06:31 PM