Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Peter Reinhart's Pizza Book

i just got through reading reinhart's book- amercian pie, my search for
the perfect pizza. a couple of interesting sd related parts. one was
that the flour used by one of the best pizza restaurants in the country
(pizzeria bianco- in phoenix) orders flour from giusto's
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...act.d2w/report.

i have been getting my flour there for the last 6 months. they only
sell in 50lb sacks, which i break down into five lb ziplock bags. if
you live anywhere near san francisco, you can pick up at the wearhouse.
i have been told that they sell to most of the sd bakeries in sf.

also mentioned in the book is a pizza place called the cheese board
collective. it is in berkley, ca. they make the best sd pizza,
according to reinhart.

finally on pg 122 he has a recipe for sd pizza. interestingly he
recommends beginning a starter with pineapple juice and flour on day 1
and then switching to flour and water days 2-4. he claims that new
starters can be hindered by bacteria in the early stages, and the acid
from the pineapple juice prevents the bacteria from getting hold. pg
126 has a good sd recipe for pizza.

this is only the second bread book i have read. i think i will finally
go get bba.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

We've been making sd pizza for several months now...We've been
perfecting it...at least for us. My husband doesn't like ordering pizza
out any more because nothing compares to our homemade.

The dough is just pretty basic...sd starter, either homemade or SFSD, w
flour, w bread flour, a little whole grain flour usually a wheat and
rye, maybe a bit of malted rye, celtic sea salt, water...sometimes I
add some flax meal. I activate overnight, then it is usually ready to
bake by 5:30 or 6....

The trick is the oven temp at highest mine goes, which is 555. It
bakes for maybe 9 mins. on a pre-heated pizza stone. I get the dough
pretty thin on the peel. It comes out crisp and nicely browned..with
some pretty dark areas.

Our favorite is a simple Pizza Margahrita...some pizza sauce, fresh
thinly sliced plum tomatoes, whole milk mozzerella, a bit of Sargento's
6 Cheese Italian, extra virgin olive oil, salt/pepper. Then after
baking I put some fresh basil all over. Excellent.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Trix" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We've been making sd pizza for several months now...We've been
> perfecting it...at least for us. My husband doesn't like ordering pizza
> out any more because nothing compares to our homemade.
>
> The dough is just pretty basic...sd starter, either homemade or SFSD, w
> flour, w bread flour, a little whole grain flour usually a wheat and
> rye, maybe a bit of malted rye, celtic sea salt, water...sometimes I
> add some flax meal. I activate overnight, then it is usually ready to
> bake by 5:30 or 6....
>
> The trick is the oven temp at highest mine goes, which is 555. It
> bakes for maybe 9 mins. on a pre-heated pizza stone. I get the dough
> pretty thin on the peel. It comes out crisp and nicely browned..with
> some pretty dark areas.
>
> Our favorite is a simple Pizza Margahrita...some pizza sauce, fresh
> thinly sliced plum tomatoes, whole milk mozzerella, a bit of Sargento's
> 6 Cheese Italian, extra virgin olive oil, salt/pepper. Then after
> baking I put some fresh basil all over. Excellent.

sounds great. one recommendation in the book was to put the oven on broil
setting for about 10 mins to get the pizza stone as hot as possible before
sliding pizza in. of course put it back on bake before cooking the pizza.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

dan w wrote:
> i just got through reading reinhart's book- amercian pie, my search for
> the perfect pizza. a couple of interesting sd related parts. one was
> that the flour used by one of the best pizza restaurants in the country
> (pizzeria bianco- in phoenix) orders flour from giusto's
> http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...act.d2w/report.
>
> i have been getting my flour there for the last 6 months. they only
> sell in 50lb sacks, which i break down into five lb ziplock bags. if
> you live anywhere near san francisco, you can pick up at the wearhouse.

I get Giusto's flour (whole wheat bread flour in my case) through my
local coop in large bins, Food Conspiracy Coop in Tucson AZ. I'm sure
other markets must carry it so you don't have to buy 50# sacks.