FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Best Flour Mill (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/95498-best-flour-mill.html)

Mark E. in Oz 05-07-2006 05:36 AM

Best Flour Mill

G'day from Oz!

I am about to start down the track of SD seriously, and I wanted to look
at grinding all my own flour. What mills do you good people use and
recommend?

Many Thanks for you input.

Cheers

Mark E in Oz

BigJohn[_1_] 05-07-2006 01:26 PM

Best Flour Mill

http://www.breadbeckers.com/nutrimill.htm

This is an electric mill many of my friends use and they love it. I
use an OLD electric stone mill my mother bought back in the early 70's
and it works fine for me. I

Dick Adams[_1_] 05-07-2006 02:32 PM

Best Flour Mill

"Mark E. in Oz" > wrote in message ...

> What mills do you good people use and recommend?

General

Oops, now I see -- you said "good people". I'll shuddup then.

--
Dicky

(An ancient chrome Vita-Mix grinds grains chez moi. Pricey
as antiques, but maybe cheaper still than many mills.)

Slim Langer 06-07-2006 07:24 AM

Best Flour Mill

I have a 25+ year-old Magic Mill II that still does a good job for
wheat, rye, corn, soy, beans, peas and lentils. It makes popcorn into
SD-raisin cornbread; automatically recycles old elbow macaroni into
semolina flour. Folks who are tired of pale SD loaves, just add a few
spoonfuls of fresh soy flour to the pre-ferment. Soybean flour makes
soy milk without needing to soak the beans or have one of those fancy
percolator machines. Adds calcium to strengthen the exoskeleton of the
bread and iron so that the loaves don't blow away in the wind. Bean
flour makes fast pea soup in boiling water. Adds jet propulsion to any
bicycle. Good to have a grain mill.

Slim

naschol 08-07-2006 02:57 PM

Best Flour Mill

Mark E. in Oz wrote:
> G'day from Oz!
>
> I am about to start down the track of SD seriously, and I wanted to look
> at grinding all my own flour. What mills do you good people use and
> recommend?

I am using a Nutrimill, which is an impact mill. I am very pleased
with it and use it quite often. There are a lot of really good
comparison sites out there that can help you decide which type of mill
is best for your needs. I have included a few that have some really
good input on mills, even though they don't cover all that are
available.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/
http://waltonfeed.com/self/grinder.html
http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/25_36

You will really love foods produced from your home-milled flours. I
had always wanted to try Ezekiel bread, but didnt' know how I could
find all the flours needed. Now, I mill my own and absolutely love
this bread!

Good luck!

Nancy

Gary Taylor 09-07-2006 01:48 AM

Best Flour Mill

If you could find a Diamant D-525 at a decent price I think you would like
it. I've had one for many years and it works great.

Gary

Klaus Alexander Seistrup 09-07-2006 05:20 AM

Best Flour Mill

Mark E. in Oz wrote:

> What mills do you good people use and recommend?

I use a Fidibus Classic <http://xrl.us/fidibus> -- it's a great mill,
and neat too!!

Cheers,

--