Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Cold starts

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:58:36 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>What makes any home baker here assume their breads are "very good"?
>
> Shame on you Kenneth.
>
>Boron

Hello again,

No shame taken, sorry...

I was not commenting on your breads at all.

I thought that you were offering an assessment of the breads
of yore, and asked what caused you to believe that they are
any good. Nothing more.

If you are casting shame, you might want to focus on someone
who said something unkind to you, or about you.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I never weighed anything in any home ec class. And I assure you ,
> that was a long, long, long time AFTER WWII.

I guess that is why the Germans make better cars then what is made in
American

> and I sure as hell did not grow up in Germany before the war. Most of
> my family had fled by then.

I bet they do not miss you or your family

Joe Umstead

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 4/22/06, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Is this supposed to be deliberately mean-spirited towards me (and I am
> no one's grandmother) or what exactly are you implying?

<snip>

> And why not translate this into something relevant why you're at it?
> Are you trying to say that those who do not measure cannot bake
> anything at all? That they cannot make donuts? That they should not
> visit your MIL?
>
> This is a sourdough group. I make a lot of sourdoughs. They are all
> lean breads. I do not measure for them. I have no need to. I have
> posted pictures of my breads here and many surely look as fine as
> anything on your web pages, so you needn't go so far out of your way
> to be insulting.

I'm reminded of a story about Kinky Friedman and Buffy St. Marie.... he
warmed up for her at a show. She didn't understand his song, "Kinda Like an
Indian" and thus assumed it had to be insulting.

You say "you boys" should stop playing with toys and bake bread. You use
deragatory terms in describing people, such as "darlin'". (Excessive and
undue familiarity is not endearing, it is demeaning and insulting.) And
then you accuse others of being sexist and rude.

When I mention that I DO bake, and baked 95 or 96 loaves the day before,
that somehow doesn't count because it wasn't just for fun. Well, I enjoyed
it, as did the people who bought the bread. And, it did refute your
contention that "the boys" who played with toys don't bake bread.

Whether it's for money or fun, baking is baking. Bread is bread. I
measured carefully long before I baked commercially. I became more careful
after I started baking commercially
..
When I mentioned stories that indicated that not measuring is hardly a
panacea, you didn't understand them, and assumed they were intended to be
insulting. I think you are ready to see insult because you spend so much
time delivering it.

I mentioned, repeatedly, that I spend a fair amount of class time teaching
students to feel their dough, that measuring just helps them get closer
faster. Somehow, that gets ignored. And I'm a "boy" playing with toys.

And somehow, though I make no inappropriate mentions of gender, I'm being
sexist.

Bottom line - life is to short to keep feeding this troll.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:37:54 -0700, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
>>I remember seeing my grandfather "measure" out tsibblekuchen (onion
>>rolls) by reaching into a vat of dough and grabbing and shaping... all
>>of them uniform.

> It is hard to get decent onion rolls today. I haven't had anything
> similar to what I used to get from the Jewish bakeries when I was
> growing up.
>
> Did your grandfather make a bread called simply "bulke"?
> It was two round loaves baked side by side, so they touched, and
> attached at the top by a strip of flattened dough. We kids used to
> fight over that crispy, crusty strip.

I'm not familiar with that form.... "bulke" or "bilke" (depending which
side of the umlaut you're from) simply means "roll" or "bun" in Yiddish.

B/