Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Starter observations/question

I was reading the Laurel's Bread book about Desem and the very low
temps that she says to use use for your starter. Between 50 and 65
degrees. I was wondering if this is a 'different' SD starter than the
norm? Does the much lower keeping temp produce a different bacteria?

I always keep my starter in the frig or at room temp (in my house no
more than about 70 degrees). I never have massive bubbling of the
starter, but it makes great sized loaves and rises well when making
bread. I always proof the bread at about 85 degrees or so.

What temps are best for starter? Does the higher room temp when
feeding the starter make a big difference?

John

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

BigJohn wrote:
> I was reading the Laurel's Bread book about Desem and the very low
> temps that she says to use use for your starter. Between 50 and 65
> degrees. I was wondering if this is a 'different' SD starter than the
> norm? Does the much lower keeping temp produce a different bacteria?

No, you are still dealing with Lactobacillis and yeast. It is a
different starter in the sense that it is a very firm starter kept at
cool temperatures as opposed to the usual liquid culture stored under
refrigeration.

Thicker cultures at a given temperature will mature at a slower rate.

> I always keep my starter in the frig or at room temp (in my house no
> more than about 70 degrees). I never have massive bubbling of the
> starter, but it makes great sized loaves and rises well when making
> bread. I always proof the bread at about 85 degrees or so.

If you are happy with the results, then don't change a thing.

> What temps are best for starter? Does the higher room temp when
> feeding the starter make a big difference?

There is no exact right answer. The correct storage and propagation
temperatures depend on what you are doing and your baking schedule. If
you bake every day, then room temperature storage is a viable option.
If you bake on an irregular schedule, you will probably need some
refrigerated storage. [Well, you could might make a stiff ball of
culture and bury it in a sack of grain or flour and store the bag under
the porch or in the root cellar. Refrigerators are much more convenient
for most.]

Within limits, warmer and thinner will cause the culture to grow faster.
In no instance would I go over 85F and I can't think of a reason to go
thinner than equal parts water and flour by volume.

Your room temperature will mainly influence the speed of the process.
It takes me a lot less time to make a loaf of bread when the room
temperature is 78F than when it is 68F.

Regards,

Charles

A starter question Simon[_3_] Sourdough 14 01-03-2010 12:55 PM
question about starter dan w Sourdough 13 01-02-2006 05:54 PM
Starter Question. [email protected] Sourdough 4 12-12-2005 04:49 PM
Starter Question BigJohn Sourdough 13 08-12-2005 10:44 PM
Starter Question. [email protected] Sourdough 0 08-12-2005 09:44 PM