Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Oh No!

So, I'm about 3 weeks into learning about sourdough and I'm feeling
pretty good about being able to do a fair bit of my daily baking
without any yeast. I'm hoping to get more sour taste in time, but so
far the bread has been turning out nicely.

I dumped my starter into the mixer bowl this morning and was going to
make some sponge and let things get bubbly, but first I went out to run
the snow blower.

Upon arriving back inside, I found my bowl missing and the dishwasher
running. You can guess the rest.

I'll need to add another rule: Don't touch my knives, Hobart mixer OR
MY STARTER.

Yeesh.

Back to yeast baking for a while.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

If you have the starter container, the one you keep in the
refrigerator, even if it looks empty it's not, even if you rinsed it a
bit, it's not. There's always hope if you have that still and it hasn't
been soaped.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

John wrote:

> I'll need to add another rule: Don't touch my knives, Hobart mixer OR
> MY STARTER.

I keep my starter in one of those blue French canning jars (the kind
with the bail on the lid). Nobody is to ever touch that. Ever. Under
extreme promise of a world of hurt.

Likewise with the bowl I use for activating/feeding. Same one, each
time, if it's got 'goop' in it, DO NOT TOUCH.

What Will said, see if you can rescue the jar the starter came from,

I once salvaged a starter from scraping the sink and getting a scant
teaspoon.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"John" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So, I'm about 3 weeks into learning about sourdough and I'm feeling
> pretty good about being able to do a fair bit of my daily baking
> without any yeast. I'm hoping to get more sour taste in time, but so
> far the bread has been turning out nicely.
>
> I dumped my starter into the mixer bowl this morning and was going to
> make some sponge and let things get bubbly, but first I went out to run
> the snow blower.
>
> Upon arriving back inside, I found my bowl missing and the dishwasher
> running. You can guess the rest.
>
> I'll need to add another rule: Don't touch my knives, Hobart mixer OR
> MY STARTER.

My sympathies! Years ago I used to keep my starter in an empty mayo jar and
then one day I could not find it anywhere in the fridge. Actually went so
far as to take everything out of the fridge, all to no avail. My hubby
strolled thru and incautiously said "cleaning the fridge? it's about time" I
snarled "no I am looking for my starter". Looooooooooooong silence. Very
long silence and then a little voice said "that wouldn't have been curdled
mayo in that jar then I guess ..." And yes, I had carefully removed the
label from the jar before putting the starter in. Nothing that could
remotely be starter has ever been thrown away since without a consultation
first -- even really weird green things lurking in the back of the fridge
:-)

Of course my first husband used my Gingher scissors to cut down a lead molly
.... don't ask what happened to him :-)

Ellen

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

If you haven't washed the jar that you "dumped" the starter from, add some
water to it, shake it up good so that it cleans the jar then add your flour
to that water. You'll have your old starter back in no time.
as I have done in these pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476019
http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476045
http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476047
http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476049

Rina

"John" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So, I'm about 3 weeks into learning about sourdough and I'm feeling
> pretty good about being able to do a fair bit of my daily baking
> without any yeast. I'm hoping to get more sour taste in time, but so
> far the bread has been turning out nicely.
>

> Upon arriving back inside, I found my bowl missing and the dishwasher
> running. You can guess the rest.
>
> I'll need to add another rule: Don't touch my knives, Hobart mixer OR
> MY STARTER.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Throw a small bag of emergency starter in the freezer, just in case
Teresa
northwestsourdough.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:
> Throw a small bag of emergency starter in the freezer, just in case
> Teresa
> northwestsourdough.com

(Sorry again if this is a dupe but it isn't appearing in the group even
after my other post has.)

Not all cultures will survive freezing. I tried with mine. It was stone
dead after a day in the freezer.

Putting a starter in the dishwasher is just the kind of thing my Mum
would do. : -) It beggars belief. "What do you think I was doing with a
bowl of flour and water?"

Well, you have to laugh or someone may get hurt. lol.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:
> Throw a small bag of emergency starter in the freezer, just in case
> Teresa
> northwestsourdough.com

I know some starters stand up to freezing but the ones I've tested have
been killed stone dead.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

John wrote:

> So, I'm about 3 weeks into learning about sourdough and I'm feeling
>STARTER.
>
> Yeesh.
>
> Back to yeast baking for a while.

Well at least you can get more experience making a new one. : -) It
could be ready in four or five days.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>Not all cultures will survive freezing. I tried with mine. It was stone
>dead after a day in the freezer.

Too bad yours died, I have had them revive wonderfully after being
frozen for 6 months!
There is also drying the sourdough starter which is really easy to do.
Teresa
northwestsourdough.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I'm back a few days into the process, no big deal, I have plenty of
yeast. I really am smitten with the idea of baking an actual loaf of
bread without any sort of chemical levening, I think it's just the
neatest thing.

I have two little kids, I don't get too upset about anything that gets
wrecked, it's just part of my day.

Back online with some bread by next week!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

John wrote:
> I'm back a few...
> I have two little kids, I don't get too upset about anything that gets
> wrecked, it's just part of my day.

Lol, very philosophical. Best not too get attached to things with kids
or pets about. "I'll just use it 'til it's broken." is a valuable
thought. :-)

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Rina site

Hi Rina, was wondering what starter you are using.. also how much
water & flour are you adding to that jar at feeding... terrific rise..
bread looks great!! :-) nancy

>If you haven't washed the jar that you "dumped" the starter from, add some
>water to it, shake it up good so that it cleans the jar then add your flour
>to that water. You'll have your old starter back in no time.
>as I have done in these pictures:
>http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476019
>http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476045
>http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476047
>http://www.pbase.com/rina/image/41476049
>
>Rina

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I bought starter from King Arthur Catalog. Initially I followed their
directions for discarding or sharing when I fed the starter, but my friends
had starter enough and dumping seemed so wasteful...

I only make 1 loaf at a time so I prepare just what I'm going to need.

I add 4 oz of warm water, (tested on my wrist) and shake the jar till it's
cleaned the sides, then stir in 3 1/2 to 4 oz of AP flour. Sometimes I'll
make cake or waffles with the first refreshment and do a second feeding to
use for bread.

Rina

"nancy" > wrote in message
> Hi Rina, was wondering what starter you are using.. also how much
> water & flour are you adding to that jar at feeding... terrific rise..
> bread looks great!! :-) nancy

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks Rina!!! good thing I bought scales, going to try using them
from now on... :-) nancy