Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Default Saving a good starter, freezing or drying.

Kenneth wrote:

> If on the order of a few months, I would do neither...
>
> I would take about a teaspoon of active starter, and mix
> into it as much flour as you can manage. Eventually you will
> have a firm, clay-like ball of dough.
>
> Put it in a screw top jar and refrigerate.
>
> It will last months happily.
>
> When you are ready to bake with it again, pinch off half the
> ball, add, say 100g water, soften the lump, then add 100g
> flour. In a few hours you will have the starter active
> again.
>
> All the best,
> -- Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

Have you found that if you do it too dry it gets a bit mouldy all
through or is that just my dirty working lol.

I found better results when it was a bit wetter. What's your take
Kenneth? I haven't been doing this too long so I don't have much to
go on other than one or two examples.

I've got a pic of one I did breaking out. I often wonder if my fridge
is set too low, but if I set it any higher I get frozen veg.

http://tinyurl.com/83ufr

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:22:15 +0000, TG
> wrote:

> Kenneth wrote:
>

>> If on the order of a few months, I would do neither...
>>
>> I would take about a teaspoon of active starter, and mix
>> into it as much flour as you can manage. Eventually you will
>> have a firm, clay-like ball of dough.
>>
>> Put it in a screw top jar and refrigerate.
>>
>> It will last months happily.
>>
>> When you are ready to bake with it again, pinch off half the
>> ball, add, say 100g water, soften the lump, then add 100g
>> flour. In a few hours you will have the starter active
>> again.
>>
>> All the best,
>> -- Kenneth

>Hi Kenneth,
>
>Have you found that if you do it too dry it gets a bit mouldy all
>through or is that just my dirty working lol.
>
>I found better results when it was a bit wetter. What's your take
>Kenneth? I haven't been doing this too long so I don't have much to
>go on other than one or two examples.
>
>I've got a pic of one I did breaking out. I often wonder if my fridge
>is set too low, but if I set it any higher I get frozen veg.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/83ufr
>
>TG

Hi again,

Make it as dry as you wish...

I've not had any mold problems after as much as four months
using the method I described.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

On 10 Jan 2006, at 21:27, Kenneth wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Make it as dry as you wish...
>
> I've not had any mold problems after as much as four months
> using the method I described.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth

Thanks.

Maybe I'm not refreshing enough before they go back in the fridge. I
don't always have that problem. The last batch that went back in got
refreshed much more. But now I've a long time to wait for the
results. : -)

TG

Drying Starter? Brent[_6_] Sourdough 11 09-10-2007 08:53 AM
Drying starter Mary Fisher Sourdough 5 22-10-2006 03:56 PM
Saving a good starter, freezing or drying. Bob K Sourdough 7 10-01-2006 12:16 AM
DRYING STARTER FOR STORAGE Don R. Sourdough 22 13-11-2005 02:30 PM
freezing starter Nicki Sinclair Sourdough 0 03-05-2005 06:58 PM