Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInIpswich

Default Starter experience - Samartha & Dusty

Hi Samartha and Dusty;

Thank you for your offers to help. Here is my background.
I am not after the holey grail of white sourdough aka San Francisco
style. I am after the 100% whole grain bread as a holy bread, although I
haven't made Ezekial bread yet.

I mill my own flour, and have no problem with a whole wheat loaf rising
to normal earthly heights.

My rye bread is 100% whole rye, made with home milled, unsifted flour.
Here is my latest small loaf, always with caraway seeds added, made with
a *******ized form of Carl's starter:

http://tinyurl.com/8x3ma

It is made from roughly 2.5 - 3 cups flour(this particular loaf is
smaller, probably 2.5) in a smaller bread pan, I think the 8" long one.

I don't eat much bread at all, I consume the loaf in about 4 days more
or less, as toast and melted cheese sandwiches.

The rye bread is my daily (or should I say weekly) bread, I enjoy the
flavor much more than a whole wheat loaf, and it is my regular recipe.

I always welcome suggestions, thank you!

Best,

Heather
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman

On 2006-01-22, HeatherInIpswich > wrote:
> Hi Samartha and Dusty;
>
> Thank you for your offers to help. Here is my background.
> I am not after the holey grail of white sourdough aka San Francisco
> style. I am after the 100% whole grain bread as a holy bread, although I
> haven't made Ezekial bread yet.
>
> I mill my own flour, and have no problem with a whole wheat loaf rising
> to normal earthly heights.
>
> My rye bread is 100% whole rye, made with home milled, unsifted flour.
> Here is my latest small loaf, always with caraway seeds added, made with
> a *******ized form of Carl's starter:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8x3ma

I would say that is only brick-like in size and shape -- in texture it
seems to be quite light by 100% whole rye standards. If you simply
use more dough or smaller pans, it will lose some of the brick-like
appearance.

May I ask how you knead it? By hand or machine, and for how long? Do
you use any rest periods before or during kneading?

--
Randall
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInIpswich

Randall Nortman wrote:

> May I ask how you knead it? By hand or machine, and for how long? Do
> you use any rest periods before or during kneading?

Yes, it is only bricklike in size and shape, the crumb has a great
texture. I actually don't knead it at all; the dough is fairly wet, like
a mud consistancy. I take a 24 - 48 old sponge made with half the flour,
all the liquid, and the starter; then add the rest of the flour. Stir
well, scoop into pan. There is no forming of a loaf with this all rye stuff.

I may start playing around with resting it after adding flour a little
at a time combined with various stirring methods; but the convenience of
my method is very appealing, and has worked well for me.

General rough recipe is 1.5 cups 100% home milled rye flour plus 1 cup
water plus sprinkling of caraway seeds plus (very roughly here) 1/4 cup
starter thrown in. Ferment at room temp 24 - 48 hours depending on your
particular room temp. Stir in roughly 1 to 1.5 cups flour and just over
1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the resulting muck in buttered pan, let rise 6
- 12 hours or so. Bake @ 375 F for 45 minutes with a cold start in a
household gas oven. No steaming, no spritzing, no cover.

I don't follow the recipe exactly, if the dough seems loose I will add
extra flour, or less flour if the sponge seems thick. I also don't
really measure the starter, I just pour about a 1/4 cup in, straight
from the fridge, or if I have time I goose the starter before using. I
don't notice a difference either way.

Best,

Heather
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dick Adams

"HeatherInIpswich" >
wrote in message news:zwNAf.18958$La4.17242@trndny08...

> ... if I have time I goose the starter before using. I
> don't notice a difference either way.

You are a bit frightening, you know, the way you *******ize
Carl's starter, and goose it. Your photo is focused, cropped,
and well lit, which is commendable. Now if you cook your
glop in a crock pot for a day or two, you'll get something
reminding of pumpernickel. You could adorn it with faeries
without owing any apology. Doubtful, though, that a cylinder
is any more appealing than a slab.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInIpswich

Dick Adams wrote:

> You are a bit frightening, you know, the way you *******ize
> Carl's starter, and goose it.

And still those little microbes work their heinies off to raise my
bread. Tough little buggers.

< Doubtful, though, that a cylinder
> is any more appealing than a slab.

But the whole taste sensation will be different and possibly worth the
try. I think I remember an older post describing how to do this with a
can & foil, in a water bath in the crock, I can look it up. Someday when
I am inspired I will try this, maybe even take another pretty picture.

Heather

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInIpswich

hutchndi wrote:
> That looks yummy. I hope to try rye again soon. I am curious, how did your
> starter get *******ized, and is it better in some way?

By *******ized, I meant that the little beasties inherited with my
powdered Carl's starter a few years back have probably had relations
with the beasties in the organic rye flour, and then generations later,
after marriages with whole wheat and other such clans of microbes, have
formed a starter related to, but probably not performing exactly like,
the original Carl's starter.

I don't bother to keep a clean starter in a sterile environment fed only
the purest of white flours. What fun is that? It raises my bread
probably in much the same way that the Carl's starter does.

Have fun,

Heather
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> By *******ized, I meant that the little beasties inherited with my
> powdered Carl's starter a few years back have probably had relations
> with the beasties in the organic rye flour, and then generations later,
> after marriages with whole wheat and other such clans of microbes, have
> formed a starter related to, but probably not performing exactly like,
> the original Carl's starter.

It sounds like you do the same as everyone else and probably Carl too.
:-)

TG