BigJohn

Default Eliminating Phytates Question

I have been reading many articles about how to eliminate or reduce the
phytates in Whole Grains so that the body can absorb all of the great
nutrients and vitamins from the grains. The most agreed upon manner is
soak the grains or flour for at least 7 hours in yogurt, buttermilk,
lemon
juice, etc. before continuing to mix bread recipe.

I do grind my own grain at home and cook with it immediately so my
family
can benefit from the fresh product. I found a great recipe that tells
you to mix your batter and let it rest in the frig at least overnite or
even up
to 3 days. So I have been adding buttermilk to the recipe instead of
the
suggest water. The bread tastes wonderful and is light and fluffy and
not
at all like 'whole grain' breads that are made in a couple of hours
with yeast.
With such busy schedules this particular recipe is so extremely simple
that it does not keep me from baking a couple of times a week and being
able to eat healthy bread.

The Question: Does anyone know if the buttermilk (2 cups) will
eliminate the phytates even though the dough is kept at a cold temp in
the frig? After the dough is taken from the frig, I let it rise for
about 3 or 4 hours at room temp
before baking. It seems that is helping to eliminate the phytic acids
from
the grains, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

I have also just create a 'new' sourdough starter with flour and water
and it appears to be doing well. It smells good and has some bubbles
on the surface. It is only a few days old, but I think this is going
to work (my first two tries were unsuccessful). So when this starter
is ready, I know I will be able to soak the flour for the required
amount of time at room temp and this should get rid of the phytic
acids.

Thanks

Mike Stancliff

BigJohn wrote:

> The Question: Does anyone know if the buttermilk (2 cups) will
> eliminate the phytates even though the dough is kept at a cold temp in
> the frig?

I dunno about buttermilk, but I have read that sourdough can reduce
phytates.

From "Effect of natural starters used for sourdough bread in Morocco on
phytate biodegradation"
(http://www.emro.who.int/Publications...1_2/effect.htm)

"It has previously been reported that lactic acid fermentation can
reduce phytate levels in bread fermentation [8,9]. Khetarpaul and
Chauhan have reported that mixed cultures of yeasts and lactobacilli may
reduce the phytate content of bread [10]."

And from NUTRITIONAL CHARACTERISTICS of ORGANIC, FRESHLY STONE-GROUND,
SOURDOUGH & - CONVENTIONAL BREADS
(http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/Publications/EAP35.htm)

"In an acidic environment, the enzyme phytase from the wheat is very
active and breaks down phytates, so they cannot reduce mineral
absorption (Sablier, 1984)."

Hope this helps.

Mike
Chembake

>Does anyone know if the buttermilk (2 cups) will
>eliminate the phytates even though the dough is kept at a cold temp in
>about 3 or 4 hours at room temp
>before baking. It seems that is helping to eliminate the phytic acids
>from the grains, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly

What is responsible for the removal of phytates is the enzyme phytase
which is present in certain microbes such as yeast and fungi and in
grains itself
They are known to work at a temperature range of 35 deg C to 63 deg C
inactivating the phytin which is
Therefore I doubt if soaking grains at refrigerated temperatures is
effective in removing phytates in ground whole grains.