Roy Horn

Default starters?

I'm trying to get off the ground, so I ordered a starter from Sourdough
International. I ordered a single starter, but after reading I think I
could have gotten 10 starters and a cook book for the same money. Their
customer service is non-existent. Is there a place to purchase quality
starters? Is there a secret handshake club?

Samartha Deva

Roy Horn wrote:
> I'm trying to get off the ground, so I ordered a starter from Sourdough
> International. I ordered a single starter, but after reading I think I
> could have gotten 10 starters and a cook book for the same money. Their
> customer service is non-existent. Is there a place to purchase quality
> starters? Is there a secret handshake club?

Yes - http://www.carlsfriends.org/

Or - ask your local bakery or ask here if somebody lives around your
area or grow your own, like:

http://samartha.net/SD/MakeStarter01.html

or

or
or...

ways are many. But, a starter is only as good as you treat it so, if you
want a quality starter give it quality treatment or you will not be
allowed to blame the starter.

Since you are asking in plural: "starters" - you need several, what are
you up to?

Samartha
Ed Bechtel

Sources for Starter

Carls - (see Samartha's reply) This one works great and tastes good,
until you accidently turn the oven on while your only jar of starter is
in the oven. Great price.

SDI - I always had good results with the San Francisico starter - the
best flavor was on the first few loaves then petered out. Their high
price and poor bedside manner is a major turn-off. I use the Bahrain
starter which is very vigorous (thanks Slim) and used the Finnish
starter which had an unusual taste probably intended for heavy breads
that don't talk too much (Finnish humor)

Mr. Baker - www.yankeeharvest.com. - Great starter. Very strong riser.
Average flavor - not predominately sour. Good price!

SourdoughBreads Starter - www.SourdoughBreads.com - Similar to Mr.
Baker. I did not achieve very noticeable sourdough flavor, but was
excellent riser. The lady is fast on the mailings. She could charge
less.

And last but not least,

Acme Starter (from the Berkeley bakery) - It is the one starter (for
me) that makes a loaf that when I open the bread bag I smell sourdough
instead of country white bread. It is a marginal riser at best but I
love the flavor. Other people have had mixed results, but it's free for
the asking.

Ed Bechtel

Phil

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Sources for Starter
>
> Acme Starter (from the Berkeley bakery) - It is the one starter (for
> me) that makes a loaf that when I open the bread bag I smell sourdough
> instead of country white bread. It is a marginal riser at best but I
> love the flavor. Other people have had mixed results, but it's free for
> the asking.

Hi Ed. Where would one obtain Acme starter? I have the SDI San Francisco
starter, and it's a strong riser with strong flavor. I've had it for about 7
years. I also have had Carl's 1847 starter for about the same amount of
time. It also is a strong riser, with a slightly milder flavor. But it's
great. I got it from Carl Griffith before he died. Thanks.

Phil

Ed Bechtel

Phil,
My daughter gave me a couple of jars from Acme bakery. She just dropped
in and the fellow at the bakery brought out a 5-gal container from the
refrigerator from which he filled the jars. If you email an address I
will gladly overnight a blop to you in a zip-lok bag. But it is not
nearly as strong a riser as SDI San Francisco. If your SDI has
sourdough taste I'd stick with it. I use the Acme because my SDI lost
its sour taste and odor. I've stuck to using white bread flour with the
Acme and don't imagine it would be strong enough for whole grains.

So, back to your SDI... when you open the bread bag do you smell aromas
of say vinegar or baby breath or wet macaroni, or do you smell rustic
country white?

Ed Bechtel

Kenneth

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:23:04 GMT, "Phil"
> wrote:

>"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Sources for Starter
>>
>> Acme Starter (from the Berkeley bakery) - It is the one starter (for
>> me) that makes a loaf that when I open the bread bag I smell sourdough
>> instead of country white bread. It is a marginal riser at best but I
>> love the flavor. Other people have had mixed results, but it's free for
>> the asking.
>>

>Hi Ed. Where would one obtain Acme starter? I have the SDI San Francisco
>starter, and it's a strong riser with strong flavor. I've had it for about 7
>years. I also have had Carl's 1847 starter for about the same amount of
>time. It also is a strong riser, with a slightly milder flavor. But it's
>great. I got it from Carl Griffith before he died. Thanks.
>
>Phil

Hi Phil,

Send me an email, and I will be happy to assist.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

archlanedave

You can still get Carl Griffith's 1847 starter free. Go to
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/
Dave

archlanedave

Knock off the Dave: http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

archlanedave wrote:

> Knock off the Dave: http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Or the easier-to-remember url: <http://carlsfriends.org/>.

Cheers,

--
Klaus Alexander Seistrup
PNX · http://pnx.dk/

Starters Brian Sourdough 2 27-09-2006 08:33 PM
Starters Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 27-09-2006 08:09 PM
Starters Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 27-09-2006 04:51 PM
My starters amateur Sourdough 7 23-05-2004 07:40 PM