Old 27-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Roy

No need to worry Dick.... that calculation is simple enough ..... it
is just a guide to simplify things.... about how much starter is to
use for a certain quantity of dough flour to be able to obtain optimum
rising time...
Roy

Old 29-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Dick Adams

"Roy" wrote in message =
oups.com...

... that calculation is simple enough ..... it is just a guide to=20
simplify things ...

D'ya suppose you could run that calculation by again?

Well, heck, Roy, if you really want to simplify things for all
of us, why don't you put up a simple web site?

Maybe here and there a little interactive spread-sheet
calculator? Like at http://samartha.net/SD/, for instance.

--
DickA

Old 29-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Roy

Well, heck, Roy, if you really want to simplify things for all
of us, why don't you put up a simple web site?

Maybe here and there a little interactive spread-sheet
calculator? Like at http://samartha.net/SD/, for instance.

Thanks for the suggestion Dick....
But I am not always staying on one place .,most of the time.......
.....Indeed ......I had been mulling of creating my own website ....but
definetely not now.... Maybe in the future. when I stop travelling
..... besides, currently I prepare all my electronic communications
including post to any group in my laptop- ( or a desktop replacement
system if you call itg) and just connect to the internet when I want
to ...
Roy

Old 30-03-2005, 02:19 PM
carlDOTwest

Repeating Rifle wrote:

I had posted previously on how I was using all of my starter except for what
stuck to the container and how I was using those remains for my next batch
of starter using a cup each of water and flour. This has been working out
well for me.

I really believe that using all of the starter for a loaf rather than a
tablespoon or two has resulted in a better and faster leavening starter.
Moreover, I put the starter in my refrigerator before the flour has been
fully eaten.

Bill

Sounds like you've worked out a system like mine:
http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Dick Adams

"carlDOTwest" wrote in message =

Sounds like you've worked out a system like mine:
http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html

Hey, that is neat!

Now why can't we persuade Roy and the rest of the long-winded
SD philosophers and poets to render their comments and proposals
in such concise and inflatable form.

--
DickA

Old 01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Gonorio Dineri

"Roy" wrote in news:1111874578.947093.213790
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

In any event the technique I am using now gives me great bread with

sour
taste, good crust, and good leavening in a reasonable time. The only

problem
is that after 24 hours the bread has degraded considerably from what

it was
during the first few hours.

Bill

Your bread stales faster? if your bread has lots of crack grains it
will gradually absorb all the moisture from the large amount of
starter you used and hours after your bread has been baked you will
end up with a dry textured bread that has some similarity to stale
bread. It was done properly considering the slow hydration
characteristics of mixed grain breads it will come out still good after
several hours or more.
I think you better moisten the cracked wheat mix and let it hydrate
for some time before adding the rest of the ingredients to it to form
a dough.
If you do not add water to the dough but just rely on the liquid
starter to moisten it you had to add some flour or you have to use a
firmer starer instead to attain the desired dough consistency.
..Then you have an allowance for the moistuer to be added to the
cracked grain mix.
Roy

Hey, Roy, how long would you recommend soaking the cracked wheat before
kneading it in? How do you account for the moisture of the hydrated
cracked wheat in the water requirement of the recipe?

Bill, Samartha has commented that bread starts going stale as soon as you
remove it from the oven. Well, maybe it starts as soon as it cools.

I've found it wise to seal any extra loaves in heavy plastic as soon as
they're cool and pop them in the freezer. I've done the same with half a
loaf when I know I won't polish off the full loaf in a day or two.

Freezing the bread is an excellent strategy for people who like to bake a
week or two's bread, or who travel. When you're away from home and
yearning for a bite of sourdough bread, you can have the wife Fed-Ex you
a loaf. It's a tad expensive, but when money is no object...

Gonorio

Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Gonorio Dineri

"Dick Adams" wrote in
:

"Roy" wrote in message
oups.com...

... I have seen natural sourdoughs leavened with the
final dough flour to starter ratio of 55/45 and it really ferments
and proof really fast as if yeast was added; when the fact is ii was
just 100% naturally leavened! ...

Aha!

Could that be taken to mean that the "sponge" method can be applied
to sourdough baking?

I have been making sourdough bread for several years exclusively using the
sponge method. Without it, I'd have to add some starter, then let the
bread sit and rise for a day in order to develop a tang when baked. By that
time, unless the temperature is quite cool, the yeast's rising power might
have become depleted before the dough enters the oven.

The point is that making the sponge allow the tang to develop, owing to
bacteria growth, and that must be balanced with the yeast's rising
potential.

Samartha's nicely documented tripling technique of growing a sourdough
sponge over day and night is one sponge method. Another is simply making a
huge batch of starter, stashing some of it to be used as future starter,
and using the rest with an equal weight of flour to make the loaf dough.
And of course, one might say that kneading a small amount of starter into
the dough, then letting it rise a long time, produces yet another kind of
sponge.

In the end, all risen bread is a sponge of some kind.

Gonorio