dan w

Default question on salt and dough kneading

i have a question regarding adding salt. in one recipe i tried (and
liked) it mentioned that if using kosher salt, or other iodine free
salt, to add more salt than if using regular salt. my question is
why?, and is this a universal rule, i.e., if i always use iodine free
salt, should i add more?

on the subject of salt, i was wondering how salt dissolves into the
bread. does it do so in the kneading process? or perhaps only in the
baking? i did a test by taking salt and adding water to it in a cup. i
noticed that unless i used hot water, the salt did not dissolve well.
so i have taken to adding a small amount of hot water to all of my salt
that i use in a bread recipe, dissolving it first, and then adding it to
my dough.

please advise

Dan w
Brian Mailman

dan w wrote:

> i have a question regarding adding salt. in one recipe i tried (and
> liked) it mentioned that if using kosher salt, or other iodine free
> salt, to add more salt than if using regular salt. my question is
> why?,

Kosher salt (actually kosher-izing salt, used for absorbing blood from
meats and chicken) is a coarse large-grained salt. Therefore, if you're
measuring by volume you need to use more because it will 'fluff' in the
spoon.

> on the subject of salt, i was wondering how salt dissolves into the
> bread. does it do so in the kneading process?

In the mixing process.

B/
Brian Mailman

dan w wrote:

> i have a question regarding adding salt. in one recipe i tried (and
> liked) it mentioned that if using kosher salt, or other iodine free
> salt, to add more salt than if using regular salt. my question is
> why?,

Kosher salt (actually kosher-izing salt, used for absorbing blood from
meats and chicken) is a coarse large-grained salt. Therefore, if you're
measuring by volume you need to use more because it will 'fluff' in the
spoon.

> on the subject of salt, i was wondering how salt dissolves into the
> bread. does it do so in the kneading process?

In the mixing process.

B/
Mac

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:58:31 -0800, dan w wrote:

> i have a question regarding adding salt. in one recipe i tried (and
> liked) it mentioned that if using kosher salt, or other iodine free
> salt, to add more salt than if using regular salt. my question is
> why?, and is this a universal rule, i.e., if i always use iodine free
> salt, should i add more?

If you measure by weight, I don't think it matters whether the salt is
coarse or fine. If you measure by volume, it could probably make a
difference.

I don't see what the iodine has to do with anything.

> on the subject of salt, i was wondering how salt dissolves into the
> bread. does it do so in the kneading process? or perhaps only in the
> baking? i did a test by taking salt and adding water to it in a cup. i
> noticed that unless i used hot water, the salt did not dissolve well.
> so i have taken to adding a small amount of hot water to all of my salt
> that i use in a bread recipe, dissolving it first, and then adding it to
> my dough.

I add my salt to the dry flour and mix it thoroughly with a fork before
adding the flour to the recipe. I don't put any salt in the sponge or
starter. I add all the salt the last time I add flour to the dough.

Works for me.

> please advise
>
> Dan w

--Mac

Mac

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:58:31 -0800, dan w wrote:

> i have a question regarding adding salt. in one recipe i tried (and
> liked) it mentioned that if using kosher salt, or other iodine free
> salt, to add more salt than if using regular salt. my question is
> why?, and is this a universal rule, i.e., if i always use iodine free
> salt, should i add more?

If you measure by weight, I don't think it matters whether the salt is
coarse or fine. If you measure by volume, it could probably make a
difference.

I don't see what the iodine has to do with anything.

> on the subject of salt, i was wondering how salt dissolves into the
> bread. does it do so in the kneading process? or perhaps only in the
> baking? i did a test by taking salt and adding water to it in a cup. i
> noticed that unless i used hot water, the salt did not dissolve well.
> so i have taken to adding a small amount of hot water to all of my salt
> that i use in a bread recipe, dissolving it first, and then adding it to
> my dough.

I add my salt to the dry flour and mix it thoroughly with a fork before
adding the flour to the recipe. I don't put any salt in the sponge or
starter. I add all the salt the last time I add flour to the dough.

Works for me.

> please advise
>
> Dan w

--Mac

dough kneading dan w Sourdough 0 03-03-2005 12:05 AM
question on salt and dough kneading dan w Sourdough 0 02-03-2005 11:58 PM
question on salt and dough kneading dan w Sourdough 0 02-03-2005 11:58 PM
Over-kneading dough Dee Randall Baking 2 24-12-2003 06:10 PM
kneading 100% rye dough? HeatherInSwampscott Sourdough 40 05-11-2003 03:30 PM