Dick Adams

Default Humperdickel, a healthy, whole-grain loaf for the New World

http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html

(Thanks to Ulrike, Will, and Samartha for guidance and inspiration.)
Ulrike Westphal

"Dick Adams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html

(Thanks to Ulrike, Will, and Samartha for guidance and inspiration.)

You are welcome,

I think Mrs. Adams is right and with that labeling you won't get into
trouble with the ...(you know what I mean)

Ulrike

Will

On 2/19/05 11:26 PM, "Dick Adams" > wrote:

> http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
>
> (Thanks to Ulrike, Will, and Samartha for guidance and inspiration.)

I suppose it's only fair to let the list readership know that this style of
bread is absolutely not good with olive oil or butter or most of the light
and lively garnishes you normally associate with levain. It is probably also
fair to say the French do not like this stuff either. This predisposition I
read recently in a delightful little book called: Bread of Three Rivers
(Sara Taber). The French, of course, are wrong in this matter.

But... if you've got pickled beets, sour dairy, smoked fish, or old cheese
around and if Mother gave you her old crock-pot. You're in business.

Mrs. Adams knows a good thing.

Will

Ulrike Westphal

"Will" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.37.1108921586.30360.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> On 2/19/05 11:26 PM, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
>
> > http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
> >
> > (Thanks to Ulrike, Will, and Samartha for guidance and inspiration.)

> I suppose it's only fair to let the list readership know that this style

of
> bread is absolutely not good with olive oil or butter or most of the light
> and lively garnishes you normally associate with levain. It is probably

also
> fair to say the French do not like this stuff either. This predisposition

> read recently in a delightful little book called: Bread of Three Rivers
> (Sara Taber). The French, of course, are wrong in this matter.
>
> But... if you've got pickled beets, sour dairy, smoked fish, or old cheese
> around and if Mother gave you her old crock-pot. You're in business.
>
> Mrs. Adams knows a good thing.
>
> Will

I've heard about two boys who eat this kind of bread with jam or honey ;-)

Ulrike

Will

On 2/20/05 12:19 PM, "Ulrike Westphal" > wrote:

> I've heard about two boys who eat this kind of bread with jam or honey ;-)
>
> Ulrike

That is something the French would do! Which side of the Rhine are you on?

Actually, I just went to the kitchen and cut a slice. Can't say that I
disagree. The sour cherry preserves were OK (but then they are a German
import and probably predisposed in some fashion).

Will

Samartha Deva

Will wrote:
> On 2/19/05 11:26 PM, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
>

>>http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
>>
>>(Thanks to Ulrike, Will, and Samartha for guidance and inspiration.)

> I suppose it's only fair to let the list readership know that this style of
> bread is absolutely not good with olive oil or butter or most of the light
> and lively garnishes you normally associate with levain.

Hello! If it's the pumpernickel-like taste - can be eaten with anything
and if some taste preferences are offended, the better; they can go back
to the bread they came from.

No, seriously - to even suggest that some bread (white, blue, black,
green) is "absolutely not good for...." and be in the slightest part
successful primes you for a religious career.

As for your example "not good with olive oil or most of the light
garnishes..."

I have not eaten it with olive oil ( bet I like that too), but plain
(European style) unsalted butter is my favorite. "Not light garnishes" -
try some very light cheese (curd cheese) with jam on Pumpernickel.

The list goes on, variations are many. That strong tasting bread is a
prime candidate to be tried with anything.

> It is probably also
> fair to say the French do not like this stuff either. This predisposition I
> read recently in a delightful little book called: Bread of Three Rivers
> (Sara Taber). The French, of course, are wrong in this matter.
>
> But... if you've got pickled beets, sour dairy, smoked fish, or old cheese
> around and if Mother gave you her old crock-pot. You're in business.

Ok, on one narrow spectrum.

Isn't encouragement to try out and discover new things an underlying
theme on this particular news group and to "warn" that something does
not conform to a particular taste choice and is "absolutely not good"
runs totally counter to that (IMO).

Samartha

Will

Good gracious, Samartha, lighten up. Or I will have to send my Teutonic
neighbor, Walter, your way. He has no patience with neo-traditional
Germans. He will show you his fearsome Lugar.

For the rest of the list readers... This is wonderful bread. But not
even my good Catholic German grandmother (nee Bibelhauser) would have
put olive oil or butter on it.

Will

Konny K

Ulrike Westphal wrote:

> I've heard about two boys who eat this kind of bread with jam or

honey ;-)

> Ulrike

Sure, there are quite a few dessert recipes that use Hump'er ... uh
Pumpernickel (a speciality of the westfalian kitchen in the
M=FCnsterland region I believe).

Regards,
Konny

ellen wickberg

Konny K wrote:
> Ulrike Westphal wrote:
>
>> I've heard about two boys who eat this kind of bread with jam or

> honey ;-)
>
>>Ulrike

> Sure, there are quite a few dessert recipes that use Hump'er ... uh
> Pumpernickel (a speciality of the westfalian kitchen in the
> Münsterland region I believe).
>
> Regards,
> Konny

I have deleted the original posting, so what I am wondering is how you
get the bread out of the crockpot, I don't remember any greasing being
mentioned and since I don't bake bread in bread pans, I don't have that
experience either. How do you get it out?
Ellen
Dick Adams

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message=20

> I have deleted the original posting, ...

Good work. Deep in my heart I felt it did not, in the first place,
deserve to see the light of day.

> so what I am wondering is how you get the bread out of the=20
> crockpot, I don't remember any greasing being mentioned ...

An insert was mentioned. Greasing it makes sense, but passing
a narrow spatula around the loaf prior to dumping could be also
useful. (A coffee can could be used if an insert is not available.)

> ... since I don't bake bread in bread pans, I don't have that=20
> experience ...=20

Some of us are more pure than others of us. The mentioned loaf
is irreverent in several respects.

> How do you get it out?

Very frankly, sometimes you have to scoop/scrape it out.

---
DickA

Brian Mailman

Will wrote:

> For the rest of the list readers... This is wonderful bread. But not
> even my good Catholic German grandmother (nee Bibelhauser) would have
> put olive oil or butter on it.

chicken or goose fat with pepper, and a pile of sliced onions with salt.

b/
Will

On 2/20/05 3:31 PM, "ellen wickberg" > wrote:

> I have deleted the original posting, so what I am wondering is how you
> get the bread out of the crockpot, I don't remember any greasing being
> mentioned and since I don't bake bread in bread pans, I don't have that
> experience either. How do you get it out?
> Ellen

Dick didn't mention it but you can cut a piece of parchment paper to line
the bottom of the "pan". The sides, as pointed out, are easily handled by
spatula. It helps to let the breads cool a bit before extracting them.

Will

Jonathan Kandell

I like these types of bread with butter and honey. So make that three
boys.

Dick Adams

(Scroll down to _Second try_)

http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html

So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

Will

Dick Adams wrote:
> (Scroll down to _Second try_)
>
> http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
>
> So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

Dick,

Beats me. Looks pretty good though. Which one (trial 1 or trial 2) is
Mrs. Adams' favorite?

Will

Dick Adams

"Will" > wrote in message =
ups.com...
>=20
> Dick Adams wrote:
> > (Scroll down to _Second try_)
> >
> > http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
> >
> > So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

>=20
> Dick,
>=20
> Beats me. Looks pretty good though. Which one (trial 1 or trial 2) is
> Mrs. Adams' favorite?

She likes the first one better, and so do I.
Mike Avery

Dick Adams wrote:

>(Scroll down to _Second try_)
>
>http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
>
>So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

Did the starter get more soured the second time than the first?

Did you use the same crockpot both times? (Though I do wonder how
precise the temperature control in a crockpot is...)

Did you grind the same brand/type/batch of grain again?

It's a puzzler..
Dick Adams

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.44.1109292438.30360.rec.food.sourdoug ...=

> Dick Adams wrote:
> > (Scroll down to _Second try_)
> > http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html
> > So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

> Did the starter get more soured the second time than the first?
> Did you use the same crockpot both times?
> Did you grind the same brand/type/batch of grain again?

Yes
Yes
Yes

> I do wonder how precise the temperature control in a=20
> crockpot is.

I suspect a resistance heater with three terminals and no
thermostat -- two values of resistance selectable with a=20
three position switch (off, low, high). It was set to low
in both cases.

> It's a puzzler.

Thank you for the attention you gave to my puzzler.

I should have mentioned that the rye sour, after overnight
development at room temperature, in the first case, was
still just a bit bubbly, but, in the second case, after overnight
incubation at 85 - 90 degr. F., was completely soured out.
Also "overnight" may be misleading -- it was 18 - 20 hours
in each case (afternoon till next morning).

--
DickA

Ulrike Westphal

"Dick Adams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
(Scroll down to _Second try_)

http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5F...kel/index.html

So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

To tell the truth: I haven't the faintest idea!

And what is a crock pot??? Neither my grandmother nor my mother/MIL could
give me a crockpot...

Ulrike

Dick Adams

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message =

> > So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

> To tell the truth: I haven't the faintest idea!

Dissappointed here! You never answered my questions
about the black mold that grows between tiles sometimes,
nor about cooking beans, either.

> And what is a crock pot???=20

Google "crock pot" (or is it crockpot?).

Ours is not fancy, as it is over 20 years old. I see simple
ones now, from China, sometimes selling here for less than
10 US Dollars.

> Neither my grandmother nor my mother/MIL could.
> give me a crockpot ...

Perhaps they were still burying urns in the live ashes of
their cooking fires in the old European way?

--
DickA

Ed Bechtel

Dick,
That 2nd loaf looks awesome. I almost want to try baking bread in the
crockpot but don't have a bread insert. Didn't know there was such a thing.

As far as the chemistry, I couldn't tell you what is going on.

I barely passed Chemistry courses.
All I retained was a jingle my father told me:

Johnny was a chemist's son
But Johnny is no more,
What Johnny thought was H2O
Was H 2 S O 4

Ed Bechtel

Dick Adams

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message =

> don't have a bread insert. Didn't know there was such a thing.

You can use something else, like a big can, e.g., a coffee can.
Ulrike Westphal

"Dick Adams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message

> > So, all you food chemists -- what's going on here?

> To tell the truth: I haven't the faintest idea!

Dissappointed here! You never answered my questions
about the black mold that grows between tiles sometimes,
nor about cooking beans, either.

[snip]

Seems I missed something. What was your question???

Dick Adams

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message =

> Seems I missed something. What was your question???

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3DlgAQd.43584$Th1.27850@bgtnsc04-new=
s.ops.worldnet.att.net

Emailed also. Since it is off-topic, you could ignore the question.
(Actually two questions.)