JBrewer

Default whole-wheat sourdough recipe??

Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
whole-wheat sourdough bread. I need one for 6-7 loaves. 8-9 # dough. I
have one I use but would like to try something else. I use Carl
Griffith's starter and own a Bosch.

Mixing times, feedings, etc. would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Mike Avery

JBrewer wrote:

>Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
>whole-wheat sourdough bread. I need one for 6-7 loaves. 8-9 # dough. I
>have one I use but would like to try something else. I use Carl
>Griffith's starter and own a Bosch.
>
>Mixing times, feedings, etc. would be appreciated.

You might look at http://www.sourdoughhome.com/100percentwholewheat.html
and http://www.sourdoughhome.com/laurelsloaf.html

You'll have to scale the recipes yourself though.

Mike

Will

On 2/9/05 2:00 PM, "JBrewer" > wrote:

> Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
> whole-wheat sourdough bread. I need one for 6-7 loaves. 8-9 # dough. I
> have one I use but would like to try something else. I use Carl
> Griffith's starter and own a Bosch.
>
> Mixing times, feedings, etc. would be appreciated.
>
> Jennifer

What follows is what you might call a "modified wheat". It comes originally
from Kenneth Sole and is something I make frequently and recommend without
reservation. It is very good.

The spelt and modest rye portion add quite a bit of character.

This formula makes two loaves but is easy to scale.

Kenneth's Poilane...

Day 1, 9:30pm 474g Water + 120g starter + 236g coarse whole wheat,
ferment at 69F.

Day 2, 7:30am add 65g coarse rye, 254g KA AP flour, 170g whole spelt
flour, 20g salt.

Knead fully, then refrigerate 24 hours. Then, form boule, ferment at
69F for 5 hours.

Slash, then bake at 490F for 35 minutes, the first 15 minutes with
steam...

Breadman

JBrewer wrote:
> Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
> whole-wheat sourdough bread.
> Jennifer

Hey jennifer,

A good method to work with whole wheat is to soak your whole wheat
flour before (or after, like in kenneth's recipe) you add the starter
and start your dough fermention.

My recipe is as follows:
Grow starter with 3 tripling at room temp (~69F) (5h 15g-45g, 10h
45g-135g, 5h 135g-405g)
25% starter flour/total flour, 70% hydration, 2% salt
Mix at low speed all the flour and the water that you need for the
dough(without the starter) for 2-3 mintues and let it sit in the fridge
for 12-24 hours. Then add your starter and salt and knead for 4-5
mintues more. ferment for 3-4 hours at 75-80F, punchdown, rest and
shape. Proof in a basket for 1-2 hours at 93F. FLIP IT AND BAKE IT!!

I Hope it will work for You!

happy baking
Amit

Joe Umstead

Will wrote:

> On 2/9/05 2:00 PM, "JBrewer" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
>> whole-wheat sourdough bread. I need one for 6-7 loaves. 8-9 # dough. I
>> have one I use but would like to try something else. I use Carl
>> Griffith's starter and own a Bosch.
>>
>> Mixing times, feedings, etc. would be appreciated.
>>
>> Jennifer

> What follows is what you might call a "modified wheat". It comes
> originally from Kenneth Sole and is something I make frequently and
> recommend without reservation. It is very good.
>
> The spelt and modest rye portion add quite a bit of character.
>
> This formula makes two loaves but is easy to scale.
>

> Kenneth's Poilane...
>
> Day 1, 9:30pm 474g Water + 120g starter + 236g coarse whole wheat,
> ferment at 69F.
>
> Day 2, 7:30am add 65g coarse rye, 254g KA AP flour, 170g whole spelt
> flour, 20g salt.

{ You do not use any starter on day 2?]
Joe Umstead

> Knead fully, then refrigerate 24 hours. Then, form boule, ferment at
> 69F for 5 hours.
>
> Slash, then bake at 490F for 35 minutes, the first 15 minutes with
> steam...

Will

On 2/9/05 5:26 PM, "Joe Umstead" > wrote:

> Will wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/05 2:00 PM, "JBrewer" > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone on this site have a good tried and true recipe for
>>> whole-wheat sourdough bread. I need one for 6-7 loaves. 8-9 # dough. I
>>> have one I use but would like to try something else. I use Carl
>>> Griffith's starter and own a Bosch.
>>>
>>> Mixing times, feedings, etc. would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jennifer

>> What follows is what you might call a "modified wheat". It comes
>> originally from Kenneth Sole and is something I make frequently and
>> recommend without reservation. It is very good.
>>
>> The spelt and modest rye portion add quite a bit of character.
>>
>> This formula makes two loaves but is easy to scale.
>>

>> Kenneth's Poilane...
>>
>> Day 1, 9:30pm 474g Water + 120g starter + 236g coarse whole wheat,
>> ferment at 69F.
>>
>> Day 2, 7:30am add 65g coarse rye, 254g KA AP flour, 170g whole spelt
>> flour, 20g salt.
>>
>> Knead fully, then refrigerate 24 hours. Then, form boule, ferment at
>> 69F for 5 hours.
>>
>> Slash, then bake at 490F for 35 minutes, the first 15 minutes with
>> steam...

> { You do not use any starter on day 2?]
> Joe Umstead

The initial starter is used to make an overnight soak with the wheat on day
one.

On day two, you begin with a large, active sponge. The balance of
flours are added then everything is retarded. The small portion of rye on
day 2 ensures solid ripening and adds a creamy texture to the bread which
the wheat and spelt alone cannot effect. Kenneth continued to evolve this
formula, eliminating the rye, but I retain it, because I like it. The spelt
opens the flavor profile so it does not read so overwhelmingly as WHEAT. It
is subtle with layers of flavor.

I have made this bread without the KA white but I would not recommend it.
There is just enough white to push the crumb but not enough to disperse
flavor. It is a big bread. The staging of the sponge plus the secondary
retard allows this beast to fully develop.

Will

Jonathan Kandell

Day1 morning: walnut-sized piece firm starter mixed with 1/3c ww bread
flour and 3T water.
Day1 evening: add in cup ww flour and about 1/2 c water
Day 2 morning: take out walnut-sized piece for next week; add in 2.5c
ww flour (winter) or 3c ww flour (summer), 1t molasses, 1.5-2t salt,
pinch ascorbic acid. Knead 20m.
Let ferment 5 hours room temperature. Stretch and fold every hour for
first three hours. Form boule and proof 3 hours till risen 1 1/2
times.
Bake in cold oven, start at 450 until brown, then down to 350 till it's
done.