FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Starter not sour (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/50925-starter-not-sour.html)

HUTCHNDI 09-01-2005 03:53 PM

Starter not sour

Hello, new to this. I originally had a starter made from commericial yeast
that I used for making a few loaves of bread, worked ok, but wanted to try
making a natural one. Made a new starter from rye flour and water, in a few
days it got bubbling, but no smell. I have been removing half and feeding
twice a day, 3/4 cup water and 1 cup king arthur unbleached all purpose
flour, and it seams active, but still no sour smell. Almost a week now. My
old commercial yeast starter at least had a sour smell to it. (i used that
all to get rid of it). Did I catch an unsour yeast or what?

Samartha 09-01-2005 04:30 PM

At 08:53 AM 1/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hello, new to this. I originally had a starter made from commericial yeast
>that I used for making a few loaves of bread, worked ok, but wanted to try
>making a natural one. Made a new starter from rye flour and water, in a few
>days it got bubbling, but no smell. I have been removing half and feeding
>twice a day, 3/4 cup water and 1 cup king arthur unbleached all purpose
>flour, and it seams active, but still no sour smell. Almost a week now. My
>old commercial yeast starter at least had a sour smell to it. (i used that
>all to get rid of it). Did I catch an unsour yeast or what?

how about sour taste - if you dare to taste it?

>http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

===
remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Samartha 09-01-2005 04:30 PM

Kenneth 09-01-2005 04:30 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:53:12 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> wrote:

>Hello, new to this. I originally had a starter made from commericial yeast
>that I used for making a few loaves of bread, worked ok, but wanted to try
>making a natural one. Made a new starter from rye flour and water, in a few
>days it got bubbling, but no smell. I have been removing half and feeding
>twice a day, 3/4 cup water and 1 cup king arthur unbleached all purpose
>flour, and it seams active, but still no sour smell. Almost a week now. My
>old commercial yeast starter at least had a sour smell to it. (i used that
>all to get rid of it). Did I catch an unsour yeast or what?

Howdy,

I would suggest that you not be concerned with the taste or
smell of the starter. You are not going to be eating it.

Use it to make bread, and see if that results in the taste
you want.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth 09-01-2005 04:30 PM

Dick Adams 09-01-2005 04:50 PM

"HUTCHNDI" >=20
in message news:rscEd.24313$jn.9898@lakeread06 asked

> Did I catch an unsour yeast or what?

Quite likely caught the wrong one. After that, you'd need to
worry about catching the right lactobacterium. So then you'd
need to construct some sort of a thermoregulated enclosure
for you stuff to grown in, and maybe more than one of those
if you intend to make complicated breads. Then some baskets=20
for the dough to "proof" in. You'd need to learn some German to=20
order those, and something about the tax structure in the E.=20
Union and how to deal with domestic ("Homeland") customs.
You also need to modify whatever inadequate oven you may
have by adding ceramic or masonry slabs and figuring out some
way to introduce adequate humidity ("steam") at the moment
it is required.

And that's just to start. You need some French to understand
the banneton and the couche and the coupe and the lame, and
some Italian and Polish, too, if you expect to cover all the bases
when it comes to starters. And that's not all, but bandwidth is
limited.

So that is why it is sometimes said that it may be worthwhile
to consider getting one's bread at the store.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Dick Adams 09-01-2005 04:50 PM

HUTCHNDI 09-01-2005 05:42 PM

ok, i tasted the starter, still doesnt really taste like much, but after
some reading,( i have jack o'shaunessy's sourdough book here) i have moved
my starter from the kitchen to the living room nearer to my woodstove, the
kitchen is kind of cool at this time big old house, below 70 anyways. you
think that might be a factor?

news:mailman.1105288386.21825.rec.food.sourdough@w ww.mountainbitwarrior.com...

Will 09-01-2005 05:59 PM

On 1/9/05 10:30 AM, "Kenneth" > wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:53:12 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello, new to this. I originally had a starter made from commercial yeast
>> that I used for making a few loaves of bread, worked ok, but wanted to try
>> making a natural one. Made a new starter from rye flour and water, in a few
>> days it got bubbling, but no smell. I have been removing half and feeding
>> twice a day, 3/4 cup water and 1 cup king Arthur unbleached all purpose
>> flour, and it seams active, but still no sour smell. Almost a week now. My
>> old commercial yeast starter at least had a sour smell to it. (i used that
>> all to get rid of it). Did I catch an unsour yeast or what?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I would suggest that you not be concerned with the taste or
> smell of the starter. You are not going to be eating it.
>
> Use it to make bread, and see if that results in the taste
> you want.
>
> HTH,

Kenneth gives good advice about tasting your bread to see whether it is what
you want, because in the end, that is what counts.

But being concerned about the smell or taste of the starter is smart too. In
this instance, your starter is telling you it is too large and fed too much,
and fed too often, to develop the scent you think appropriate. You are
adding 3/4 cup water and 1 cup flour TWICE a day. Since this is half of your
total volume, your overall starter must be about a quart. That's quite a
lot. You could go into business with that much starter. And it is the most
refreshed starter I know of at twice a day (on a persistent basis). Really
fresh starter, which is what yours is, doesn't smell very sour, if it smells
sour at all.

Samartha's web site has a nifty calculator (google for it) that will help
you get a good handle on things like the ratio of starter to finished dough
weight. You will see that what you need to produce 2 loaves, or about 1800
grams, of bread is about 200 grams of starter. You could use 600 grams too.
It is a preference thing that will develop over time as you experiment. But
the main thing now is to:

1) congratulate yourself on a successful start. Make bread and taste it. I'm
betting it will be excellent, by the way.

2) reduce your starter to a volume that is realistic (to consumption) and
adopt a feeding schedule that is easier on both time and wallet. Like twice
a week, maintaining about 1/2 cup, refrigerated. It will smell sourer at
that volume considering the longer interval (but will smell fresh when fed).

By-the-by... Dick Adams is right on the money. Get your language tapes and
visit the bank. You will need a lot of equipment now, possibly a new
kitchen, one with a garde manger at the least.

Good luck,

Will

Will 09-01-2005 05:59 PM

Dick Adams 09-01-2005 06:46 PM

"Will" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.35.1105293577.221.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...
said this about =

> By-the-by... Dick Adams is right on the money. Get your language=20
> tapes and visit the bank. You will need a lot of equipment now,=20
> possibly a new kitchen, one with a garde manger at the least.

Well, not totally exactly on the money. There is the option of=20
getting a known starter, and following the simple instructions that=20
come with it. That, in the present hypersophisticated milieu,=20
however, must seem to be an entirely countercultural suggestion.

For instance:
http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g Fast, cheap
www.carlsfriends.org Very reliable, free

--
DickA
=20

Dick Adams 09-01-2005 06:46 PM

James A. Donald 09-01-2005 10:51 PM

Will
> But being concerned about the smell or taste of the starter
> is smart too. In this instance, your starter is telling you
> it is too large and fed too much, and fed too often, to
> develop the scent you think appropriate. You are adding 3/4
> cup water and 1 cup flour TWICE a day. Since this is half of
> your total volume, your overall starter must be about a
> quart. That's quite a lot. You could go into business with
> that much starter. And it is the most refreshed starter I
> know of at twice a day (on a persistent basis). Really fresh
> starter, which is what yours is, doesn't smell very sour, if
> it smells sour at all.

Maintaining a pint of starter is ridiculous, but diluting twice
a day seems pretty reasonable to me. If I kept my starter
continuously warm, I would have to dilute it several times a
day, It goes sour very quickly, and if not swiftly diluted,
develops a bad smell.

I dilute it by a factor of six or more every day, and keep it
in the fridge overnight, or else I would need to dilute it
again in the morning.

James A. Donald 09-01-2005 10:51 PM

Will

HUTCHNDI 09-01-2005 10:59 PM

wow, glad i joined this newsgroup, you people are great..... yes, i already
am waiting for my little package from Carls friends, and i am looking
forward to using this starter once i get it right, i will settle for biga
bread tomorrow. while i have your attention, let me ask about my oven if you
dont mind. i have a (new withint the last 6 months) jennair oven with bead
proofing, standard and quick whatever that means, convection and standard
electric oven, and i was wondering if any of you know much about this type
stove, if any of the options should be used to optimize my bread baking, and
if stem creation can in any way be detrimental to an electric oven.

HUTCHNDI 09-01-2005 10:59 PM

Will 09-01-2005 11:08 PM

On 1/9/05 4:51 PM, "James A.Donald" > wrote:
<snip>
> ...diluting twice
> a day seems pretty reasonable to me. If I kept my starter
> continuously warm, I would have to dilute it several times a
> day, It goes sour very quickly, and if not swiftly diluted,
> develops a bad smell.
>
> I dilute it by a factor of six or more every day, and keep it
> in the fridge overnight, or else I would need to dilute it
> again in the morning.

I agree.

I would refresh much more often too if I kept my starter wet and at room
temperature. I keep them drier, almost at dough consistency, and cool. Cuts
down on the work. I do use a sponge stage during the build to ramp things up
quickly.

Will

Will 09-01-2005 11:08 PM

Kenneth 09-01-2005 11:45 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:59:20 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> wrote:

>"Will" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.35.1105293577.221.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
>said this about

>> By-the-by... Dick Adams is right on the money. Get your language
>> tapes and visit the bank. You will need a lot of equipment now,
>> possibly a new kitchen, one with a garde manger at the least.

>Well, not totally exactly on the money. There is the option of
>getting a known starter, and following the simple instructions that
>come with it. That, in the present hypersophisticated milieu,
>however, must seem to be an entirely countercultural suggestion.
>
>For instance:
>http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g Fast, cheap
>www.carlsfriends.org Very reliable, free

>wow, glad i joined this newsgroup, you people are great..... yes, i already
>am waiting for my little package from Carls friends, and i am looking
>forward to using this starter once i get it right, i will settle for biga
>bread tomorrow. while i have your attention, let me ask about my oven if you
>dont mind. i have a (new withint the last 6 months) jennair oven with bead
>proofing, standard and quick whatever that means, convection and standard
>electric oven, and i was wondering if any of you know much about this type
>stove, if any of the options should be used to optimize my bread baking, and
>if stem creation can in any way be detrimental to an electric oven.
>"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

[Corrected for top-posting]

Howdy,

I know nothing about your oven, but...

Ovens that offer some sort of "proofing" simply maintain a
temperature that is lower than will kill yeast, but higher
than typical room temperature. That has the "virtue" of
speeding the proofing process.

I have virtue in quotes because, as is true for most
fermented foods, when it comes to taste, slower is better.

It is indeed possible to ferment grape juice in a day or
two, but few would call the product "wine" and fewer would
want to drink it <g>.

Essentially the same thing is true of bread. If, for some
reason, you are in a particular hurry, put the dough in the
oven's proofer and nothing will be harmed. But, if you want
the best possible tastes and textures, cooler temperatures
will give yo the greatest rewards.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

HUTCHNDI 10-01-2005 12:19 AM

um, i wasnt trying to maintain all this starter all along, i was dumping
half, as most of the web instructions told me to. the fact that i was
feeding twice a day came from a book i got from the library, the great big
book of baking with king arthur flour. yesterday i stopped dumping it down
the drain tho, and now have a little bowl of it in my fridge, which i was
planning to try to use for pancakes.
news:mailman.36.1105312135.221.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...

Will 10-01-2005 03:13 AM

Kenneth wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:59:20 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> > wrote:
>
> <snip>

> I have virtue in quotes because, as is true for most
> fermented foods, when it comes to taste, slower is better.
>

> if you want
> the best possible tastes and textures, cooler temperatures
> will give yo the greatest rewards.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

The slow process cannot be over emphasized. A fully ripe, mature, dough
needs time to develop. 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator after bulk
build will make an obvious difference in flavor and profound difference
in crust.

Your oven's proofing cycle will come in handy however, for the last
rise after shaping.

Off topic, but good to know... this oven proof cycle is also good for
fermenting yogurt.

Will

Will 10-01-2005 03:13 AM

AGGIENNOT 10-01-2005 05:11 AM

if you are lucky to get daryl greenwood to respond to this question
you will get the definative answer... at least once a month daryl post
faq's for this group and links to his website... really good
informaiton there..

all the starters I have seen even the friendship starters require
many days.. you'd think it would go bad but its all in following the
directions and keeping it at the right temp. I started one and it
lived for a good while till I let it sleep in the fridge too long
(smell to high hell)

simple starters do as well as the complex ones...
I agree with kenneth... slower is better and feeding should be done
golly as I remember each 10 days you must refresh the dough... this
means ditching half and adding new stuff to keep it going (FEEDING it)

if I keep having extra energy (64 and feel 90 too often) I think I
will get a starter going as my sourdough cornbread was the rave of
parties... next will the sourdough jalapeno ha ha

later
still learning myself

Herman

AGGIENNOT 10-01-2005 05:11 AM

AGGIENNOT 10-01-2005 05:14 AM

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Kenneth 10-01-2005 12:28 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:19:49 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> wrote:

>um, i wasnt trying to maintain all this starter all along, i was dumping
>half, as most of the web instructions told me to. the fact that i was
>feeding twice a day came from a book i got from the library, the great big
>book of baking with king arthur flour. yesterday i stopped dumping it down
>the drain tho, and now have a little bowl of it in my fridge, which i was
>planning to try to use for pancakes.
>"Will" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.36.1105312135.221.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
>> On 1/9/05 4:51 PM, "James A.Donald" > wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > ...diluting twice
>> > a day seems pretty reasonable to me. If I kept my starter
>> > continuously warm, I would have to dilute it several times a
>> > day, It goes sour very quickly, and if not swiftly diluted,
>> > develops a bad smell.
>> >
>> > I dilute it by a factor of six or more every day, and keep it
>> > in the fridge overnight, or else I would need to dilute it
>> > again in the morning.

>> I agree.
>>
>> I would refresh much more often too if I kept my starter wet and at room
>> temperature. I keep them drier, almost at dough consistency, and cool.

>Cuts
>> down on the work. I do use a sponge stage during the build to ramp things

>up
>> quickly.
>>

>> Will

Thanks,

?responding are you which to comment the above posting you
are why

But,
--
Kenneth

Karen 10-01-2005 12:30 PM

Will wrote the following on 1/9/2005 10:13 PM:

> The slow process cannot be over emphasized. A fully ripe, mature, dough
> needs time to develop. 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator after bulk
> build will make an obvious difference in flavor and profound difference
> in crust.

Can it go longer than that? I'll be traveling and want to have a couple
of loaves prepared Thursday night, but they won't be baked until
Saturday morning. Currently I'm planing to just get the dough kneaded on
Thursday evening and do the first rise in the refrigerator/cooler and do
the stretch and folds and shaping Friday evening. Back in the
refrigerator for the final rise and then bake Saturday. It would be a
lot easier if I could have it all ready to go but keep the shaped loaves
in the cooler/refrigerator from Thursday evening through Saturday morning.
--
Karen R. Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in
the address

Karen 10-01-2005 12:30 PM

Kenneth 10-01-2005 01:08 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:30:58 GMT, Karen
> wrote:

>It would be a
>lot easier if I could have it all ready to go but keep the shaped loaves
>in the cooler/refrigerator from Thursday evening through Saturday morning.

Hi Karen,

As you know, there is a relationship between the temperature
and the level of activity of the biological processes that
ferment the dough.

With the information available, I doubt that it is possible
to predict with certainty whether your idea would work. My
guess would be that it would not. I feel it likely that the
loaves would be past the point that they were ready to bake
were they to ferment at refrigerator temperatures that long.

Some other thoughts:

Often, when people want to slow up the fermentation, they do
the sort of thing you are suggesting (though for a shorter
time.) Sometimes, they are surprised how rapidly the loaves
grow at that very cool temperature.

One reason for their surprise is that they sometimes ignore
the fact that the dough is typically rather warm when they
put it in the cooler.

There are ways around that:

You could put your flour in the freezer, and also use ice
water in your recipe. Those two things will cool your dough
significantly, though you still might have trouble with your
plan.

And finally, if you do try the "rise 'em in the fridge"
approach. Put the loaves in a plastic bag, inflate the bag,
and seal it.

I suggest that for two reasons:

The humidity inside the refrigerator is very low, and often
loaves crack as they dry out.

Also, your dough is likely to pick up flavors and aromas
from the other foods that are in there...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

HUTCHNDI 10-01-2005 01:11 PM

Sorry, im new to this newsgroup thing also. not sure excatly how to reply so
it goes in the right place. i was responding to a reply about how i was
keeping the new starter so heavily refreshed, and how much starter must be
acumulating.....

HUTCHNDI 10-01-2005 01:11 PM

Kenneth 10-01-2005 04:27 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:11:57 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> wrote:

>Sorry, im new to this newsgroup thing also. not sure excatly how to reply so
>it goes in the right place. i was responding to a reply about how i was
>keeping the new starter so heavily refreshed, and how much starter must be
>acumulating.....
>"Kenneth" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:19:49 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >um, i wasnt trying to maintain all this starter all along, i was dumping
>> >half, as most of the web instructions told me to. the fact that i was
>> >feeding twice a day came from a book i got from the library, the great

>big
>> >book of baking with king arthur flour. yesterday i stopped dumping it

>down
>> >the drain tho, and now have a little bowl of it in my fridge, which i was
>> >planning to try to use for pancakes.
>> >"Will" > wrote in message
>> >news:mailman.36.1105312135.221.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

>room
>> >Cuts

>things
>> >up

>> Thanks,
>>
>> ?responding are you which to comment the above posting you
>> are why
>>
>> But,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hello again,

When you are reading a message to which you wish to respond,
just touch the "F" key (In Agent, that is for "Followup" I
believe).

Then, touch CNTL-END, and it will put your cursor at the
bottom, and you can start typin' away.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth 10-01-2005 04:27 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:11:57 -0500, "HUTCHNDI"
> wrote:

>Sorry, im new to this newsgroup thing also. not sure excatly how to reply so
>it goes in the right place. i was responding to a reply about how i was
>keeping the new starter so heavily refreshed, and how much starter must be
>acumulating.....
.. .

Samartha 11-01-2005 07:16 AM

In another post, you wrote:

>which i was
>planning to try to use for pancakes.

that's a plan.. I did this for a long time - sourdough crepe-style
pancakes. Don't know why I stopped. Nowadays, I keep very little starter
extra and if I have too much, I "play" with it, just to see what happens
and eventually make bread from it. I ran out of bred crumbs for braiding,
and I had a very stiff starter/dough ball in the fridge for about a week
which I used 1/2 for making white bread for bread crumbs. I still have the
other half in the fridge.

There were two loaves, I used one for the bread crumbs and about 1/2 is
left from the other one:

http://samartha.net/SD/images/BYDATE...P1100023-S.JPG

Actually, there was talk how people keep their starters. Here is my current
routine:

I keep relatively small amounts - less than 1 oz in the fridge in small
plastic containers (1/2 cup). To make starter with the DM3-Stage, only a
few grams are needed for the first stage (6 g to make 4000 g dough 50/50
rye/wheat mixed grain). Then, when I am done with the final stage and made
dough, I put a small amount from the starter in a new 1/2 cup container,
label it with the date and kind of flour (rye full grain or light rye) and
put it in the fridge for next time. I keep them for maybe a 1/2 year or so
and then do something with it, either pancakes or trying what happens when
I feed them again.

When I want to make a different kind of bread - white flour breads. I
derive the starter from the rye starter, then use either white bread flour
or full grain wheat flour.

It works great. The starter used with the bread above was initially grown
with the DM3 process but with white flour and a little was left over which
I let grow for a while until it got really liquid, then I made a bigger,
very dry dough ball from it.

Now, I found that larger starter amounts can be kept in the fridge for a
while - 2 - 3 weeks and then used. I did it by doubling the existing
(stored) starter - same amount of water and flour - and then growing it
over night at 30 C (85 F). I had to make a little adjustment to the
hydration (down maybe 2 %) because the starter had more water with the
longer storage and slow activity.

Another rule of thumb - simpler than the DM3 - is to take the starter out
of the fridge, then triple it three times after every 6 - 8 hours before
making bread.

To calculate that is fairly easy too. Let's say, you want to make bread
with a certain amount of starter, maybe 1000 g dough with 200 g starter;
then you would divide the starter amount by 27 - that's 7 g, like a table
spoon - than triple it three times 21 - 63 - 189, almost ;-) and make 2
loaves of 1 lb.

At 10:42 AM 1/9/2005, you wrote:

>ok, i tasted the starter, still doesnt really taste like much, but after
>some reading,( i have jack o'shaunessy's sourdough book here) i have moved
>my starter from the kitchen to the living room nearer to my woodstove, the
>kitchen is kind of cool at this time big old house, below 70 anyways. you
>think that might be a factor?

You bet! I think like 85 is better.

Samartha

PS.: Don't get irritated by someone trying to tell you what keys to use on
your computer and where to put your responses. That's totally up to you and
what your newsreader does. Mine happens to get the top of the post and then
I have to scroll down through all the re-quotes, find where they end and
then discover some nonsense.

The "you have to post this way to go to heaven" in connection with the "We"
word happens sporadically, probably to check out people how they react. Or
do the old trying to dominate/manipulate thing because they got nothing
better to do (or whatever the reason for this is).

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

HUTCHNDI 11-01-2005 01:13 PM

well, i stopped feeding my starter so much twice a day, now i have a new
concern. the starter this morning has about 1/4 inch of clear yellowish
liquid on top, and the only smell i can think of is some kind of paint? is
this in any way normal? i know about a liquid forming on the top, but this
smell is nothing i have read about....

Dick Adams 11-01-2005 06:23 PM

"Samartha" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.1105427892.21000.rec.food.sourdough@w ww.mountainbitwarrior.c=
om...
=20
> [ ... ]

> Another rule of thumb - simpler than the DM3 - is to take the starter =

out=20
> of the fridge, then triple it three times after every 6 - 8 hours =

before=20
> making bread.

Hey, WOW! I REALLY like that. =20

***SIMPLE!***

But, considering Detmold, and assuming that we are talking about some
kind of rye bread, how would I know for each stage that I had the right
temperature and degree of gloppiness to nurture whichever of the=20
microorganisms I happened to be interested in at the time? And how =
about=20
durations? In Detmold they have a different duration for each =
combination=20
of temperature and hydration.

If we are not talking about rye bread, why would we be talking about
Detmold?

Anyway, let's talk about rye bread, if that is OK with you (Samartha).

Following the information kindly translated by Christiane, namely
http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/~croehler/sourdough.htm , I would really need
to know that the pH was surely low enough to prevent the amylases from
chewing up the starches to the degree that there would be none left to =
hold
the loaf together.

Well, I really groove on rye bread, in spite of health-food prices for =
rye
berries in New England, and would certainly rise to its occasion if =
there
was some hope of understanding why I was doing what during the complex
maze of stages required, and without doing titrations to confirm =
adequate
acidity.

I could optimistically hope, for instance, that there might be a way to =
judge
the completion of a prefermentation by seeing a rise followed by a =
fall-back.
But that would involve a uniform optimal consistency for all preferment =
stages.
The idea of doing a strictly timed fermentation, particularly without =
respect to
temperature, does not seem appealing.

It was asked:
> > the kitchen is kind of cool at this time big old house, below 70 =

anyway. you

So you (Samartha) said:
> You bet! I think like 85 is better.

Cripes! Does that mean you are backing off on the requirements for =
particular
temperatures for particular stages?

Do you suppose there is some hope that the whole rigmarole can be =
executed
in a temperature-controlled residence at ~70 degr.F. , or in an oven =
fortuitously=20
temperature-controlled by a pilot and/or electric bulb to ~85 degr. F.?

> Don't get irritated by someone trying to tell you what keys to use on=20
> your computer and where to put your responses.

Jeepers!, it seems that you are really getting permissive! But don't =
you think that
people at least ought to find their shift (caps) key before attempting =
to=20
communicate at r.f.s.?

Will 11-01-2005 07:31 PM

Dick Adams wrote:

> Well, I really groove on rye bread, in spite of health-food prices

for rye
> berries in New England, and would certainly rise to its occasion if

there
> was some hope of understanding why I was doing what during the

complex
> maze of stages required, and without doing titrations to confirm

adequate
> acidity.

Here you go...
A digital pH tester.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/pH/iq120_125.html

Be sure to review the unit that averages several readings. Wouldn't do
to be fooled by sour spots.

> I could optimistically hope, for instance, that there might be a way

to judge
> the completion of a prefermentation by seeing a rise followed by a

fall-back.
> But that would involve a uniform optimal consistency for all

preferment stages.
> The idea of doing a strictly timed fermentation, particularly without

respect to
> temperature, does not seem appealing.

While you're checking out pH you can temp scan your dough with this...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/index.html

There's no reason to let something as mundane as money get between you
and significant rye bread.

Gear up!

Will

Ernie 11-01-2005 10:03 PM

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.thermoworks.com/products/pH/iq120_125.html
> Be sure to review the unit that averages several readings. Wouldn't do
> to be fooled by sour spots.
> While you're checking out pH you can temp scan your dough with this...

www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/index.html
> There's no reason to let something as mundane as money get between you
> and significant rye bread.
> Gear up!
> Will

LOL,
There are ph meters going for $15 on eBay and digital thermometers for
fish tanks for $6.
Ernie

Will 11-01-2005 10:51 PM

On 1/11/05 4:03 PM, "Ernie" > wrote:

> "Will" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> http://www.thermoworks.com/products/pH/iq120_125.html
>> Be sure to review the unit that averages several readings. Wouldn't do
>> to be fooled by sour spots.
>> While you're checking out pH you can temp scan your dough with this...

> www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/index.html
>> There's no reason to let something as mundane as money get between you
>> and significant rye bread.
>> Gear up!
>> Will

> LOL,
> There are ph meters going for $15 on eBay and digital thermometers for
> fish tanks for $6.
> Ernie

Must be a lot of dead fish associated with that stuff <BG>...

Will

Kenneth 11-01-2005 11:08 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:03:21 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

>LOL,
>There are ph meters going for $15 on eBay and digital thermometers for
>fish tanks for $6.
>Ernie

Hi Ernie,

There are currently fiddles on eBay from $14.95 to
$130,000.00.

I guess there are some real bargains to be had at the lower
end of that range...

All the best,
--
Kenneth