Will Waller

Default Retarding [Was: nothing groundbreaking, just a littlephotojournal]

On 12/1/04 12:51 PM, "Kenneth" > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:01:05 GMT, Randall Nortman
> > wrote:
>
>> Of course, you also
>> need to let them sit at room temperature again for at least a couple
>> of hours before baking so that you're not putting cold dough directly
>> in the oven.

> Hi Randall,
>
> Why would putting cold dough in the oven be something to
> avoid? I do it frequently.
>
> All the best,

Kenneth,

I tend to get that nasty fly-away crust trouble when I put a cold loaf in
the hot oven. So whenever I work with cool loaves I move to batard/baguette
shapes. That helps (but not always).

Will

Will Waller

On 12/1/04 12:51 PM, "Kenneth" > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:01:05 GMT, Randall Nortman
> > wrote:
>
>> Of course, you also
>> need to let them sit at room temperature again for at least a couple
>> of hours before baking so that you're not putting cold dough directly
>> in the oven.

> Hi Randall,
>
> Why would putting cold dough in the oven be something to
> avoid? I do it frequently.
>
> All the best,

Kenneth,

I tend to get that nasty fly-away crust trouble when I put a cold loaf in
the hot oven. So whenever I work with cool loaves I move to batard/baguette
shapes. That helps (but not always).

Will

graham

"Will Waller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.7.1101932149.221.rec.food.sourdough@m ail.otherwhen.com...
> On 12/1/04 12:51 PM, "Kenneth" > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:01:05 GMT, Randall Nortman
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, you also
>>> need to let them sit at room temperature again for at least a couple
>>> of hours before baking so that you're not putting cold dough directly
>>> in the oven.

>> Hi Randall,
>>
>> Why would putting cold dough in the oven be something to
>> avoid? I do it frequently.
>>
>> All the best,

> Kenneth,
>
> I tend to get that nasty fly-away crust trouble when I put a cold loaf in
> the hot oven.

I get it if I bake from cold, i.e., put the loaves into a cold oven.
Graham